Singapore Expats

PR Profile Part 11

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

PR Profile Part 11

Post by PrimroseHill » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:43 pm

Inspired by a similar thread, I would like to pose similar questions. Msian chinese, University graduate, reside in UK past 2 decades, still Malaysian Chinese. PEP with a global company. Monthly salary- circa $16-18k. OH- British, US Graduate and UK graduate. On dependent pass - will apply for jobs once onshore. Daughter: 13 years of age, international British school.

Reason for wanting to apply for a PR reasonably speedily is so that we put down roots in Spore. We want to be able to buy a house, yet not quite ready to part with ABSD at 10%. Spore is going to be our home, we have decided to quit the UK forever.

So, is it worthwhile to put in an application straightaway or wait till end of the year?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: PR Profile Part 11

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:57 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:still Malaysian Chinese
I'm betting you'll be Malaysian Chinese for the rest of your life!

Assuming no typo in salary (and that you're still Malaysian Chinese when you apply!) you're a shoe-in after 6 months. (You didnt say how long you've been here yet)

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:13 pm

zzm, lol, not even here yet. Planning to be there in March. We, especially OH has a huge bugbear about putting down roots and not wasting money paying rent.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:18 pm

Oh I think even Malaysian Chinese will need to give it at least 6 months. Just go rent the cheapest 3-room HDB you can find as soon as you get here for a year. It'll really make you appreciate the place you buy :)

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:25 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Oh I think even Malaysian Chinese will need to give it at least 6 months. Just go rent the cheapest 3-room HDB you can find as soon as you get here for a year. It'll really make you appreciate the place you buy :)
He would kill me if I go out and rent the cheapest 3room HDB lol. We are considering a Service Apartment for a month or 2 until the relocation services arrives with our worldly possessions, then rent a condo for ideally 6 months but thats proving expensive.

So, even Msian chinese with angmoh husband and cham kid as well as applying as a family, we still have to wait for 6 months!! :lol: Or OH can cough up 10% ABSD. May not be that much different if all the monthly rental at added together. :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:39 pm

Frankly, I think you may have a problem even if you are Malaysian Chinese. Normally you would be a shoe-in. However, your historical baggage will likely cause your application to raise some eyebrows at ICA and rightly so.

Ideally, they want PR's of your flavour to become citizens. Historically, you have already shown that it's not in your plans. (20 years in the UK and still a Malaysian) This shows the gahmen here that you are only here for the benefits and not the commitment. Good luck. I feel you may need it. I hope I'm wrong.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Re: PR Profile Part 11

Post by Saint » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 1:18 am

PrimroseHill wrote:Inspired by a similar thread, I would like to pose similar questions. Msian chinese, University graduate, reside in UK past 2 decades, still Malaysian Chinese. PEP with a global company. Monthly salary- circa $16-18k. OH- British, US Graduate and UK graduate. On dependent pass - will apply for jobs once onshore. Daughter: 13 years of age, international British school.

Reason for wanting to apply for a PR reasonably speedily is so that we put down roots in Singapore. We want to be able to buy a house, yet not quite ready to part with ABSD at 10%. Singapore is going to be our home, we have decided to quit the UK forever.

So, is it worthwhile to put in an application straightaway or wait till end of the year?
Not sure what you mean by "PEP with a global company"? That's not how a PEP works as they aren't tied to a any specific company.

To be honest, you haven't even got a job here, so I wouldn't even think about PR yet. You've got 6 months to secure a job on a PEP otherwise you have to leave Singapore. Also one of the requirements for a PR application is to provide last 3 year's Singapore tax returns.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:35 am

I read it as she has the job (with that pay), and her husband would apply for jobs once onshore. And from other recent posts, I didn't think the 3yrs applied to Malaysian Chinese.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:24 pm

I still think the 20 years in the UK as a Malaysian citizen is going to trip her up.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

A little ball of fur

Post by A little ball of fur » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:41 pm

The OP has no intention of settling in Singapore on a permanent basis. She is a potential PR abuser.

In a previous post dated January 12th, she was seeking advice on whether she could consolidate her Malaysian EPF account and the Singapore CPF (when she becomes a SPR). Further on, she asked, "Am assuming that I can withdraw my entire CPF if I leave Singapore and return to UK? If I intend to go to West Malaysia from Singapore, then I am unable to do. Am I right?"
Here is the link - http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra5 ... tml#565026
I took a screenshot of it for prosperity, just in case she edits the post.

From what I gather, she is looking to come to Singapore to work, get the SPR to avoid paying the 10% property stamp duty and wait out the global economic downturn. Once the global economy picks up, she will ditch her Singapore property with a nice tidy profit, renounce her SPR, cash out her CPF and return to the UK.

How am I doing so far? :)

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:55 pm

Don't you think what you explained below applies to all foreign workers / talents who come to Singapore, get their PR, build / buy their retirement properties back home and then renounce their SPR and cash out their CPF upon deciding to go back? :)

A little ball of fur wrote:The OP has no intention of settling in Singapore on a permanent basis. She is a potential PR abuser.

In a previous post dated January 12th, she was seeking advice on whether she could consolidate her Malaysian EPF account and the Singapore CPF (when she becomes a SPR). Further on, she asked, "Am assuming that I can withdraw my entire CPF if I leave Singapore and return to UK? If I intend to go to West Malaysia from Singapore, then I am unable to do. Am I right?"

From what I gather, she is looking to come to Singapore to work, get the SPR to avoid paying the 10% property stamp duty and wait out the global economic downturn. Once the global economy picks up, she will ditch her Singapore property with a nice tidy profit, renounce her SPR, cash out her CPF and return to the UK.

A little ball of fur

Post by A little ball of fur » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:59 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:Don't you think what you explained below applies to all foreign workers / talents who come to Singapore, get their PR, build / buy their retirement properties back home and then renounce their SPR and cash out their CPF upon deciding to go back? :)
I'm just spelling it all out to everyone again that the OP is no different in this case. :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 1:01 pm

That other post puts a lot into perspective, that's for sure. OP should temporarily marry an American then, and avoid the 10%! Maybe I can start a business finding suitable husbands/wives for such a purpose. $15k arrangement fee sound good? :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 1:35 pm

A little ball of fur wrote:The OP has no intention of settling in Singapore on a permanent basis. She is a potential PR abuser.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 4:53 pm

Boys and Girls, tsk tsk tsk. Assumptions assumptions. I asked about those CPF questions because it is legit, simple. 20 or so years down the line, I may decide that I will have enough of the rat race and retire in some kampung fishing.

Yeah, I have the job already, job is secured. Reason for not applying for a British naturalisation as opposed to just being an Indefinite leave to remain are 2fold and rather simple in its reasonings - (a) being a Msian citizen does not afford me the privilege of dual nationality. Also travelling around the world on a Msian passport living in UK has been and is still a breeze. (b) at the back of my mind as well as my OH's we have always intend to retire to Msia, however, with the politics the way it is, Spore it will have to be and long weekends in Msia.

It is that simple. I am not going to Spore to exploit its benefits or rights afforded to its PR or citizens. Just like living here for the past 24years, I have not exploits the welfare benefits in the UK. This isn't a Daily Mail situation whereby someone has 9kids with 9different dads and the council is paying £2k per week in rent in Knightbridge.

The questions that I have asked are valid and concerns the different facets of my live, our lives. Handle it, I am sure when you guys emigrated, you guys have had considered all these as well, what happened or will happen to your NI etc. Give me a break here!!!