Singapore Expats

Helper wants only part of her monthly salary now

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 8:53 am

Some people just don't feel that they are good with money, and they wish for elements of their income to be taken away from their day to day control and invested. It took me a long time to reconcile this mindset, but it's just how it is for some.

This is what the situation sounds like to me. Plus it sounds like the maid wants to use these savings to buy a joint Xmas/holiday-season present for her children when she is perhaps going home.

So based upon the facts, Beppi's idea seems best.
- The funds are saved and maybe earning some interest
- The account is in her name
- The funds are out of her immediate day to day reach.

Many other suggestions are off-tangent, and simply not what the maid is wishing for.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:15 am

Invest her money in gilt edged securities paid only after certain date :)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:17 am

If it's only a laptop she wants to buy, she can get one for less than $300 surely? In which case it's not a big deal right?
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:22 am

There's no need for second guessing. There is no need for all the 'I'm such a great employer I'd buy her what ever she wanted for her children now anyway'.

She wants to have $150/mo out of reach until year end.

Don't over-complicate it!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:43 am

JR8 wrote:She wants to have $150/mo out of reach until year end.

Don't over-complicate it!
It's a "fish/how-to-fish" scenario.

When she realizes she'll have extra money after buying a laptop, that will surely be a welcome surprise for her too.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:49 am

nutnut wrote:If it's only a laptop she wants to buy, she can get one for less than $300 surely? In which case it's not a big deal right?
yah, but, not every maid gets to throw away 300 $ 'just like that' :D

Or .. of course, the employer can 'chip' in :D or 'gift' it ..

SMS: well, in case of emergency, if the maid needs the money, don't we have a 'kind' and 'considerate' employer as the OP, who could advance the cash ?? :)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:09 am

No, I still think she should save, if she is saving $150 a month though, it's only 2 months wage to buy a laptop, as such, why keep the money for her, it may be wise to help her save herself, putting the money somewhere for her teaches her no more than paying tax teaches you to pay for public services!

If all goes pear shaped at the end of it, then you can help her out, but helping opening her account and then letting her deposit and save the money herself would give her a greater skill at the end of it, self restraint.
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:36 am

Yeah, the government tried that here for 33 years. Locals still haven't learned any social skills. So, possibly, if being a poor learner, she would still have naught to show for it. Hard lesson, considering she's been away from her family as well for a couple of years and she already recognizes her problem, the employer refused to help her. You don't give an alcoholic an open bottle of plonk to try to teach him not to drink if he's an admitted alcoholic.

:-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:50 am

No, I agree, but you don't wrap a person in cotton wool to stop them from hurting themselves, knowing that one day that cotton wool is going to be gone!

I was suggesting that she see how she gets on until a few months before she needs the money and if it's dire then try and go through why with her and help her save at this point, always giving the opportunity to buy a laptop by saving the money for her at a later date.

I thought this was about teaching them to fish and giving them fish... If that's the case, it'll be giving them fish that you've caught for them....

If you get what I mean.
nutnut

buyan

Post by buyan » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:34 pm

She wants fish now? I'm confused, I thought it was a laptop she wanted! :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 1:13 am

buyan wrote:She wants fish now? I'm confused, I thought it was a laptop she wanted! :P
If you go back to the OP she just wants $150/mo put out of her reach.

WTF most people take this as a chance to do everything but what she actually simply wants is not clear. Perhaps you're all acting condescendingly to the maid, in thinking you all know better than her what she wants, and what is best for her?

:P

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 8:41 am

When I started my maid, I remember a colleague of mine laughing when I said I was going to try and get her training in this and that and have a development program for her to try and improve her skills, both for me and for her ongoing career after she leaves Singapore's shores and my employment (whenever that may be).

Her view was "She's a maid, let her be a maid, don't overcomplicate things" and this reminds me of your post JR8.

Maid's are trained to not ask for things, to not make decisions, just to do as they are told, if you offer something that they may really want the answer is always, "It's your choice sir", in which case, as an employer, you are responsible for helping and doing what you think is best for your maid from time to time. Don't you think? Therefore expanding her skills, allowing autonomy and empowerment that she can feel pride in and stronger by could be beneficial, even taking a smaller amount and telling her to save the rest like taking $100 and see if she can save $50? It's a start, it will help her in the future IMO

Just a though, but she is only a maid after all, why do anything for her. :x
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 5:43 pm

Nut's Maid Development Programme (TM)

:wink: 8-)

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 24 Jan 2012 9:19 pm

OP there are lots of maids who ask this, the better ones in SP I think, as at least they're thinking about these things. The ones with the skills to save on their own are few and far between and most likely not here (ie in other countries that are harder to get to but where they have a much better gig).

When we first arrived, our first maid asked us to do this and I said no, and I was beyond annoyed at the idea of "babysitting" my helper. I told her that we would pay her very well, but expected her to manage her money like an adult. So, we paid her better than her peers, paid her bonuses on a regular basis, etc. etc. Needless to say it all went to $hit as soon enough she had not only not saved anything but also got in debt to "friends." And, I learned a very important lesson as an employer which is that I am in Singapore, not Australia, Canada etc. and can't expect most of the helpers here to respond as if we were there.

So, I now think that saving on their behalf is a very good idea if they initiate this and ask for it - just make sure it's all in writing and signed by them.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 Jan 2012 9:27 pm

movingtospore wrote:Needless to say it all went to $hit as soon enough she had not only not saved anything but also got in debt to "friends." m.
...which reminds me, some people simply can't just say 'no' when other people ask them for help--i.e. borrow money, i.e. when we say borrow money, they mean give them money. These people are just too kind (or gullible) for their own good.

So, most probably, maids that ask for part of their salary to be kept away and out of reach would just like to simply say, "No. I really don't have money to lend you. Check my wallet if you don't believe me."

Oh well.

:-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."