Singapore Expats

Check your bus fares

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
carteki
Editor
Editor

Check your bus fares

Post by carteki » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:48 pm

Today I noticed that my bus fare for my ride to work was double what it normally is (and what the web says it should be). Just pointing it out and perhaps the members of the forum can check if this happens to them too.

Thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 9:23 pm

Yup you are right. Which means the card reader is faulty. So the passengers got their fare tapped up more than they are supposed to pay for.

My guess is you took a bus right?

Someone wrote to today's newspaper to complain about that. Seems that it has been happening to few buses (not sure if both SMRT and SBS buses are in this). They better start checking on all these buses.

PTP: I wonder how come those card readers never have the error of under-deducting the fare from the cards?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:45 pm

Where can you check your recent transactions apart from the MRT machines?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:00 pm

aster wrote:Where can you check your recent transactions apart from the MRT machines?
Do you have a Passion Card, you can check on the EZrewards site I think.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:02 pm

the lynx wrote:
Someone wrote to today's newspaper to complain about that. Seems that it has been happening to few buses (not sure if both SMRT and SBS buses are in this). They better start checking on all these buses.
It happened to me on an SMRT bus - route 857

PTP: I wonder how come those card readers never have the error of under-deducting the fare from the cards?
:D

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:32 pm

Barnsley wrote:
aster wrote:Where can you check your recent transactions apart from the MRT machines?
Do you have a Passion Card, you can check on the EZrewards site I think.
The ladies at Cold Storage ask me the same question each time but no, I just have a regular EZ-link card (and a NETS FlashPay one). :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:43 pm

Well I have the habit of looking into the screen whenever I tap in/out. So if the fare stated is the same one (for usual route) each time, then I'm okay.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 2:58 pm

the lynx wrote:PTP: I wonder how come those card readers never have the error of under-deducting the fare from the cards?
And then when they have over deducted the fare the refund is sent by cheque (perhaps I should've requested one) or you have to go to a specific terminal. It is not possible for them to just credit the card with the amount. Gotta love customer service in this country.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 3:18 pm

carteki wrote:
the lynx wrote:PTP: I wonder how come those card readers never have the error of under-deducting the fare from the cards?
And then when they have over deducted the fare the refund is sent by cheque (perhaps I should've requested one) or you have to go to a specific terminal. It is not possible for them to just credit the card with the amount. Gotta love customer service in this country.
Sending a cheque for mere dollars? Geez, they better come up with a better system to refund the overcharge or buck up the card reader units.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 8:54 pm

Carteki, just out of curiosity, how did you pay for your fare: EZ-link or FlashPay?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:01 am

eazilink

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:09 am

Bumping this.

I have an-NFC equipped phone and decided to check my EZlink card. Then I noticed that I've been charged twice on a bus trip. Who knows how many times this have happened to me (no wonder I eat up through my transport budget).

Sure, it's a small amount but think about for when it all adds up. And I looked up the transitlink website, they say there one submission is valid only for one claim.

Damn...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 2:27 pm

i know people from the original company that programmed singapore's EZ link system for singapore's transport services.

this random "erroneous fare deduction" is a well known "bug" that nobody wanted to resolved (LTA and the programming company).

it's not the only bug/problem that exists... and is the result of the tender/contract T&C between the two parties.

the only thing passengers can do is monitor the deduction and claim a refund when the wrong amount is charged.

EZ link, not EZ pass, sorry.