Singapore Expats

Moving to SG with long term girlfriend

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
balaratnam

Post by balaratnam » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:04 pm

thanks JR8 - yup, I have been confusing the issue...it is Z13 who said he had an agent. I'm just after someone who can tell me what the steps are so my fiancee chills out a bit more.. in my mind she just turns up on a tourist pass, we try and sort out a long term pass, if there are problems or delays - we head over to malaysia and come back a few times if neeeded and perhaps by the year end get married and all this is history... but its better if i knew all the steps for her to secure a long term pass before i just head out and chance it. thanks for your prompt reply by the way!

Grybs

Post by Grybs » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:29 pm

balaratnam-- I was in exactly the same position (see previous posts in this thread), and believe it or not it was my ladyfriend who was the most stressed out. I was originally also in favour of her just turning up on a tourist visa and taking it from there, but from experience with women: they're not into that.

I guess moving country is a fairly large step to take for anybody, and while you and I know we'll be welcomed to Singapore in connection to our employment, the ladies have no such security. So from this perspective, you'll experience more harmony in your personal life if you get her a visa sorted out before arrival, trust me. :)

Not sure what the deal is for German/Hungarian nationals, but the British Embassy in Singapore (or "High Commission" as they call themselves) were fairly clear that we wouldn't need to supply any evidence of cohabitation etc. to get her onto a LTVP. Supposedly the Embassy have this in writing from the Ministry of Manpower. Perhaps contact the German and Hungarian Embassies in SG to see if there's a similar deal?

For me the major obstacle to the LTVP was my company: they would only sponsor it if I coughed up S$5,000 deposit. Might be worth checking if your employers have a similar rule!

Best of luck my man.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:42 pm

Grybs wrote:British Embassy in Singapore (or "High Commission" as they call themselves)

Ooh ooh ooh, me sir, I know this one [sticks hand up]! :)

Commonwealth diplomatic missions in Commonwealth countries are High Commissions. Lesser countries have to make do with having an Embassy :cool:

balaratnam

Post by balaratnam » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah, its a big move and she is the one worried.. sigh... women...

I don't know if the German embassy has something like the high comm in place with the MOM but i do know that common law marriage in Germany is not recognised - but in my mind, if it works for a Brit it probably applies to others as well and it'll come down to my employer and a bit of luck.... I am in touch with them now and trying to see if they are happy to submit an application. Lets just see what happens... the application itself is cheap but wonder what they'll be like on the bond front.

What surprises me is how it appears so clear cut on the MOM website but then it isn't... guess there isn't a one size fits all in cases like this!

Thanks for your input guys! Will let you know how it pans out.....

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 8:54 am

balaratnam wrote: I don't know if the German embassy has something like the high comm in place with the MOM but i do know that common law marriage in Germany is not recognised - but in my mind, if it works for a Brit it probably applies to others as well and it...
Did you misunderstand something there ???

High Commission = Embassy, for some of the fortunate of us :D
. the application itself is cheap but wonder what they'll be like on the bond front.
As mentioned before, some employers don't bother with the bond and trust you .. (not the right word .. but .. ) and some insist that you take that part of the responsibility yourself, instead of placing it with the employer, by asking you to put up the bond ..
What surprises me is how it appears so clear cut on the MOM website but then it isn't... guess there isn't a one size fits all in cases like this!
Welcome to Singapore :)

The reason for some information not being clearly defined is for obvious reasons: To stop abuses.

Say, if they state that 1 million will get you PR, do you know that a dozen and more will do that, and if refused, they will end up suing the govt, like it happens in UK, Australia and more places .. and then demand that residency/Citizenship MUST BE GIVEN as per the criteria

Singapore reserves the right to have the flexibility, and I guess, rightfully so ..

hiltons

Post by hiltons » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:31 pm

I tried to post a LTVP application on the MOM on line site. When I typed in the sex of my partner a red warning came up saying applicant must not be same sex. We are married in our home country and I have now been posted to Singapore long term. Is there another way to do this?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:35 pm

hiltons wrote:I tried to post a LTVP application on the MOM on line site. When I typed in the sex of my partner a red warning came up saying applicant must not be same sex. We are married in our home country and I have now been posted to Singapore long term. Is there another way to do this?
You and your partner are of the same sex ????

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:36 pm

hiltons wrote:I tried to post a LTVP application on the MOM on line site. When I typed in the sex of my partner a red warning came up saying applicant must not be same sex. We are married in our home country and I have now been posted to Singapore long term. Is there another way to do this?
Gay couple? Someone asked about that before. Try looking for that thread.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

hiltons

Post by hiltons » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:23 pm

Thats right

We are a gay couple

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:26 pm

hiltons wrote:Thats right

We are a gay couple
Ok; previous advice holds--use the search function to look for the relevant discussions. Try using "same sex" in your queries.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

balaratnam

filling in the form

Post by balaratnam » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 7:49 pm

Now here is a question! In the LTVP application form that I'm completing, my partner is under common-law-spouse... a few questions later they ask of her relationship status i.e. single, married, divorced, widowed etc... if we're applying under common law spouse, should she tick "Married" ?!?!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: filling in the form

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 7:53 pm

balaratnam wrote:Now here is a question! In the LTVP application form that I'm completing, my partner is under common-law-spouse... a few questions later they ask of her relationship status i.e. single, married, divorced, widowed etc... if we're applying under common law spouse, should she tick "Married" ?!?!
Good question :)

I'd say yes tick married, as you are applying on the basis that your common-law relationship is the equivalent to being married.

p.s. See what others think though!

balaratnam

Post by balaratnam » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 9:01 pm

yes, thats what I thought too but then I got to thinking - what differentiates applications to a LTVP from an application for a DP? it seems like there no difference in the applicant's status ?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 9:55 pm

balaratnam wrote:yes, thats what I thought too but then I got to thinking - what differentiates applications to a LTVP from an application for a DP? it seems like there no difference in the applicant's status ?
DP holders can generally work and study. LTVP cannot.

balaratnam

Post by balaratnam » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:01 pm

yes, i get the differences between what an LTVP holder can / cannot do compared to a DP holder but I cannot see the difference in their status in other words, anyone applying for a LTVP should be able to apply for a DP in which case, why not just apply for a DP?!!? - Confused!

Anyway, I think I will proceed to apply for a LTVP stating "married" even though in my mind i could just as easily apply for a DP. Once there I can start looking into alternative passes... thanks all :)