Singapore Expats

please help min salary for EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
rogery

please help min salary for EP

Post by rogery » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 2:44 pm

Hi All,

My friend got an overseas degree recognized by MOM. He applied to work in Singapore under Employment Pass as a service crew staff through a registered recruitment agent. The agent told him that his salary is $1,500/month. In my understanding this salary is far too less than min salary for EP which is 3k. To my surprise, his EP was just approved by MOM.

Is there something incorrect here that the agent made to his application, or there's a discrepancy between regulations and reality? Anybody can tell?

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:18 pm

They could be on an S-pass or work permit - the term employment pass does get used in a generic way in Singapore without any reference to the various categories of pass available.

Alternatively, the agency could be taking a large chunk of the monthly salary, or they declared a higher salary to MOM. The latter is not uncommon.

rogery

Post by rogery » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks for your explanation Billy.
"the agency could be taking a large chunk of the monthly salary, or they declared a higher salary to MOM. The latter is not uncommon." <-- They dare to make false declaration? I thought these kinds of thing should not happen in Singapore. Then if we find evidence we can sue them or report to MOM right? What penalties will apply?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: please help min salary for EP

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:41 pm

rogery wrote:Hi All,

My friend got an overseas degree recognized by MOM. He applied to work in Singapore under Employment Pass as a service crew staff through a registered recruitment agent. The agent told him that his salary is $1,500/month. In my understanding this salary is far too less than min salary for EP which is 3k. To my surprise, his EP was just approved by MOM.

Is there something incorrect here that the agent made to his application, or there's a discrepancy between regulations and reality? Anybody can tell?
Did he see a copy of the application submitted to MOM with the salary stated ??

That will show how much was stated ..

In other days I would have said that the agent must be reported to MOM .. though at the risk of your friend loosing his job ..

Billyb: Taking a large chuck of the salary happens, using some 'innovative' terms in the employment contract .. like .. "in lieu of .. " or "placement fee" or .. "services provided for candidate for ensuring seamless settling in .. " etc etc.

OP: reporting to the MOM: if the OP has signed an agreement back home, and the country of origin 'encourages' such 'placement fee' .. not much can be done.

Especially In the service industry, it is pretty common for staff to be declared a higher pay and paid lower .. and there are enough takers willing to forego half their pay ..

And it doesnt' help if such 'fees' are actively encouraged in some countries .. and there is not much in terms of recourse ..

MOM sees - Salary declared 3,000, salary paid to employee 3,000 (as they made scamming tougher by insisting on bank transfer) .. if the candidate gives back half his pay to the employer (or agent in this case, in lieu of the placement fee, flight ticket, medical, insurance, and more .. ) MOM cannot be much help ..

rogery

Post by rogery » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 3:58 pm

seems that my friend has jumped in a trap that he has no choice but to follow it since he needs the job...

in case he decided to report to MOM and they conclude that the agent has violated the regulations what penalties will apply?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 4:27 pm

rogery wrote:seems that my friend has jumped in a trap that he has no choice but to follow it since he needs the job...

in case he decided to report to MOM and they conclude that the agent has violated the regulations what penalties will apply?
if your friend agreed to the terms back home, MOM has no jurisdiction .. from what I know ..

Or if such terms as "cash advance" "Loan" "relocation allowances" etc. etc. are used, it will be tough

Maybe one of the 'experts' here can enlighten you ...