Singapore Expats

Calling children 'kids'

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:08 pm

Good question :)

No idea. But what I can say as a non-Americanised Brit, is I don't recall having ever called it other than ketchup.

p.s. I was first told of the ketchup/kecap link, when I was in cook school in NYC! An explanation was offered how it came about, but I forget now. Maybe tomorrow when Wikipedia is back up?

buyan

Post by buyan » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:23 pm

As an Aussie, we were always of the impression that ketchup was from the US, and that everyone else used the word sauce! It was always just tomato sauce to us...hmmm, seems I've been mislead as a child. What about diaper, and even the origins of spellings such as when did the "u" drop out of words ending in "...our". etc etc. So many unanswered questions. Yes, I miss Wikipedia...call their protest the "global spring" perhaps? :D

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:25 pm

"Ketchup" first occured around 1700 in British cookbooks about the food of their Asian colonies, and initially had nothing to do with tomatoes (thus the only recently dropped classifier "tomato ketchup").
The word came from Indonesian "kicap" (fermented soy bean sauce), which in turn came from Chinese.

The Western "ketchup" is called "sos tomat" in Indonesia.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:02 am

'Check out the big brain on Beppi'!* Nice one :lol:

You have to be careful referring to Americanisms, because a lot of them are actually archaic English words that they have kept and we have discarded.

We've had this discussion here before so I won't repeat the list of usual candidates (pants etc). But one such word I learned just this week is sidewalk.

* Ironic reference to Pulp Fiction (where the subject is called Brad). Which forms part of a wider conversation of the respective merits of ketchup vs mayo on chips :)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 8:26 am

I refer to my Children candidly as 'kids' in informal and conversation, however, when speaking about them to someone I don't know or something more formal (i.e. phoning to book a restaurant or speaking to a school or figure of authority) I always refer to them as Children. I tend to refer to them by name when I speak to someone who knows them though.

However, with Ketchup, we used to call it tomato Sauce, then we changed to Ketchup, but it's always said it on the bottle!

On Americanizations; I hate the American spell check on my work laptop with a passion! :(
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 8:31 am

nutnut wrote:I refer to my Children candidly as 'kids' in informal and conversation, however, when speaking about them to someone I don't know or something more formal (i.e. phoning to book a restaurant or speaking to a school or figure of authority) I always refer to them as Children. I tend to refer to them by name when I speak to someone who knows them though.

However, with Ketchup, we used to call it tomato Sauce, then we changed to Ketchup, but it's always said it on the bottle!

On Americanizations; I hate the American spell check on my work laptop with a passion! :(
Click on that small little button at bottom left and choose English (U.K)?

Well you could just set it to default if you don't wanna go through the trouble of changing it each time you open a document.

:mrgreen:

buyan

Post by buyan » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:58 pm

Haha! I see you spelled "Americanizations with a "z" !!! Check this out (count the differences):

"I just wrote the neighbor about leaving the faucet on and not putting the diapers in the trash can. And did you see the news about Eye-ran's nuclear threat and the latest bombing in Eye-rak? Well, gotta go now, February 4 thru 10 we'll be on vacation, taking the pick-up and the trailer! Put new tires on them last week."

vs

"I just wrote to the neighbour about leaving the tap running and not putting the nappies in the rubbish bin. And did you see the news about Ee-rarn's nuclear threat and the latest bombing in Ee-rark? Well, have to go now, from 4th to 10th February we'll be on holidays, taking the utility and the caravan! Put new tyres on them last week"

Sir

Post by Sir » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 3:03 pm

I've never heard that the term kid could be an insult!

just thought it was slang for child

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Jan 2012 4:57 pm

Sir wrote:I've never heard that the term kid could be an insult!

just thought it was slang for child
I suppose it could be if the child looked like a young goat! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers