Singapore Expats

what's with the hostility? uncalled for or...?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:51 pm

nutnut wrote: Being a newbie on the forum myself, I must admit that I am surprised that those who come on new and expect that they can get whatever they want however they want and complain when JR8 gives them a hard time (or someone else). In my experience of Forums from different topics and walks of life, those who spend the time and effort to answer the same questions 2/3/4/5 times tend to not want to hear cheek from people.
I agree with most of your post Nut, but am disappointed to apparently be at the front of your line of stirrers :?

I work from home, mostly PC based all day, so the forum and post notifications are on all-day. As such I perhaps have a more visible profile than many others. Though there are others that have higher post/rates than me. I also probably get to new posts ahead of many others too, and if I am confident I can help I try to. I do not think pointing a person towards the search function is unhelpful if I know the answer to their question can simply be found there, although some newbies apparently do!

Anyhowz, I'd add that 80+% of my posts are 'selfless acts of giving' :), and so they count in the thousands. If a thread degenerates to slanging, look at it closely, it is veeeeeeery rarely that I start the kicking-off! (though if is global warming/eco/green nonsense, or EU politics, then granted it may well get a caustic comment from me quite early on).

p.s. I was pondering this topic earlier today. I find it a little hard to understand why those who profess to give un-opinionated help and advice seem to post so rarely or in fact end up leaving. For surely if they were at hand to reply to every 'Is $200k enough to live on in SG?' question for the 2/3/4/5/etc time, with the custom tailored advice being demanded, then these questions/threads would be effectively resolved and closed, with no need to further comment from 'the opinionated'. But no... where are they, almost always completely absent?

p.s. Bunter, as Nak says a FAQ likely won't help. As previously discussed (in it's own topic) a while back, a lot of people believe their circumstances are unique, plus, they are stressed out, and for them the need is personal advice (not using search), hand-holding as such. No FAQ will over-ride that.

p.s. P off Nut-job or al gev yer a speshal Glesgy-kiss on your nut [only joking :P]

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:20 am

JR8 wrote:p.s. P off Nut-job or al gev yer a speshal Glesgy-kiss on your nut [only joking :P]
Awww naw, yer no a sweaty sock are ya? An a soap dodging weegie at that? Come try it bawbag ;) (also joke, ya ken)
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:22 am

nutnut wrote:
JR8 wrote:p.s. P off Nut-job or al gev yer a speshal Glesgy-kiss on your nut [only joking :P]
Awww naw, yer no a sweaty sock are ya? An a soap dodging weegie at that? Come try it bawbag ;) (also joke, ya ken)
Naw man, I'm Toon Army, a-reet? ;)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 8:36 am

I agree with most of your post Nut, but am disappointed to apparently be at the front of your line of stirrers :?
[/quote]

Oh, I missed this, I wasn't pointing my finger at you in particular JR8, although, the thread it was pointing at was one in which you were tangled in. Maybe I should have removed your name ;)

:oops: :oops:
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:27 am

I have to admit, this forum has the wealth of personal experience shared by the regulars and moderators, which is the reason why I keep coming back here - not only to learn, but also to share.

Though I would agree that some of the posts are really redundant (with attitude issues thrown in together), I still shudder at some really scathing response given by regulars and moderators. I know we may not be able to see what the moderators see and that it is not easy being moderators (and also regulars) who have seeing the same sh*t for the n-th time.

You guys are already doing great and this forum is not the same without you guys (that's why I keep coming back :wink:)

Perhaps the scathing part can be toned down a little bit?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:29 pm

Personally, I'd like to see the mods tone it down a bit... sets the norm for other posters, and I don't want 'our' board to look and feel like the 'angry board'.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 2:55 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Personally, I'd like to see the mods tone it down a bit... sets the norm for other posters, and I don't want 'our' board to look and feel like the 'angry board'.
I second SE advice,as it goes both ways. Life is short. For most of the regulars here did is just lending a helping hand or pointing to the correct direction. It is not worth it to be upset. Trivial to some but a major issue to others.
I will do just that.
If I am angry , I will dip my head in the sand and count to 10 :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas Everyone,
Life is Short , Just Don't Do it cos It Ain't Worth It !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 2:38 pm

Well, you know, you long-timers can be a tad cranky at times. Maybe it is 20 years of living in SP that's done it. :mad:

As a relative newbie, I do appreciate the board though, and appreciate the advice many freely give, and appreciate that mods step in and tell the spammers etc to pi$$ off. And I appreciate that most of what gets posted here seems to be honest and up front.

And I can see why you can't answer the same question 5000 times without losing it, LOL.

BUT you could reign it in sometimes.

Jess828

Post by Jess828 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:22 am

Ah the trials and tribulations of human nature...Wonder if the drama will ever end...Stay positive guys! Check out "The Last of the Human Freedoms" as a possible way to stay unaffected by the reactions of others.

Dalia

Post by Dalia » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:08 pm

BillyB wrote: so many 5 post wonders on the board who do nothing to help anyone else and you know they are looking for a specific answer and will never return again.
Isn't that the purpose of the EXPAT forum? To help and give info. It's not only for those who have ceased to be expats long ago.
BillyB wrote:Oh, I've searched everywhere on this board a
Yes the mighty search that doesn't work well. I always have problem with that little thingy. Unless you are a home maker like me and have some extra time to do a lot of reading search button is of no use. Interestingly enough, my every search is somehow always connected to the plastic surgery in Thailand and air crew recruitment.

There is always a polite way of saying no.
Croatia

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 14 Jan 2012 5:00 pm

Dalia wrote:
BillyB wrote: so many 5 post wonders on the board who do nothing to help anyone else and you know they are looking for a specific answer and will never return again.
Isn't that the purpose of the EXPAT forum? To help and give info. It's not only for those who have ceased to be expats long ago.
BillyB wrote:Oh, I've searched everywhere on this board a
Yes the mighty search that doesn't work well. I always have problem with that little thingy. Unless you are a home maker like me and have some extra time to do a lot of reading search button is of no use. Interestingly enough, my every search is somehow always connected to the plastic surgery in Thailand and air crew recruitment.

I thought it was a community? You get something you give back at a later date?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I should just skidaddle and let the old timers get more cranky with 5 post wonders who are only here to peddle their wares, get a particular lead or leech from others.

Search works very well if you use it properly! If you can't be bothered to look something up, why should others help you?

just my 2c
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:01 am

Dalia wrote: Isn't that the purpose of the EXPAT forum? To help and give info. It's not only for those who have ceased to be expats long ago.

And how much time do you spend helping people here?

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”