Singapore Expats

What's the best bank for an ecommerce with income in USD?

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
quicksilver1024

What's the best bank for an ecommerce with income in USD?

Post by quicksilver1024 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:17 pm

The business does online retail and sells mostly to the states. The income is solely in USD. I travel quite a bit for pleasure and so will be converting that USD to other currencies on a regular basis. Most of the income from the business will go to my personal account since the business is my sole source of income and it is a one-man show.

I also use many US-based services, and for many of them (ie. Amazon web store), they require a US-domicile bank account. This naturally leads me to think HSBC Premier as I can create US-domicile accounts but they would be personal accounts I think since the ease of creating foreign bank accounts with HSBC is only through their Premier programme.

Based on the above, which bank do you recommend?

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that I mostly use credit cards to pay for business expenses since that's the preferred payment method for internet services.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 8:56 am

I don't own a business but I have a Citibank account. It allows me to withdraw monies from any Citibank ATM machine for free and I can transfer monies to another Citibank account (in another country) for free as well.

quicksilver1024

Post by quicksilver1024 » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 2:21 am

After many many hours of research, I'm leaning towards Standard Chartered for the following reasons:

- Tiered banking services for start-ups and growing businesses (Essential Lite and then BusinessOne)

- Easily attainable SME Business Debit Card that works the same as a MasterCard (other banks require at least 1 year of operations)

- Growing global presence although nowhere near the level of HSBC

- Free transfers between Standard Chartered accounts

- Linked USD account

- NETS (might come in handy)

What do you think?

Seasoul

Post by Seasoul » Fri, 06 Jan 2012 4:03 pm

That's the bank I'd probably pick as well.
Have a look at the bank account thread (sticky in this forum), there's a very interesting feedback from a SC customer about telegraphic transfers fees and currency exchange.