Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore - should I just buy rather than rent?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:38 am

boffenl wrote:Um, One North/Biopolis is certainly NOT remote. Just because it's outside the CBD doesn't mean it's remote. In fact, with the new MRT line it's become a hot location. Remote in Singapore means Kranji or possibly Tampines.
Not Tampines ... Tampines .. being a stone-throw from Changi BP has always been not remote .. :D

Well, Kranji ? yes, or Chua Chu Kang or Lim Chu Kang ? or .. Jurong West ?? :)

Search By

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:12 am

ecureilx wrote:
boffenl wrote:Um, One North/Biopolis is certainly NOT remote. Just because it's outside the CBD doesn't mean it's remote. In fact, with the new MRT line it's become a hot location. Remote in Singapore means Kranji or possibly Tampines.
Not Tampines ... Tampines .. being a stone-throw from Changi BP has always been not remote .. :D
Absolutely, Tampines is anything but remote. There are 3 malls near the MRT. Which other place in Singapore can boast about that? Other than CBD :lol:

Tampines, Simei, Pasir Ris, Punggol and Sengkang are hot favorites for the Indians Expats. Mainly because of CBP and the Indian International Schools in the vicinity.

My neighbor from India arrived last week and was looking for place in the east although he was working in the CBD. He asked me for suggestions for a place to rent. I told him Melville Park and its full of Indians. He took my advice and rented a 2 bedder there for 2.9k. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Jan 2012 1:06 pm

Don't say that too loud. An Indian ghetto will have the Gahmen going beserk especially after they finally broke up all the Malay gettos.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sun, 01 Jan 2012 10:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Don't say that too loud. An Indian ghetto will have the Gahmen going beserk especially after they finally broke up all the Malay gettos.
Haha, I once read Melville park being called as "Mustafa condo" in condo singapore forum.

Here's the thread:

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=11760

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 3:45 pm

revhappy wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Absolutely, Tampines is anything but remote. There are 3 malls near the MRT. Which other place in Singapore can boast about that? Other than CBD :lol:

Tampines, Simei, Pasir Ris, Punggol and Sengkang are hot favorites for the Indians Expats. Mainly because of CBP and the Indian International Schools in the vicinity.

My neighbor from India arrived last week and was looking for place in the east although he was working in the CBD. He asked me for suggestions for a place to rent. I told him Melville Park and its full of Indians. He took my advice and rented a 2 bedder there for 2.9k. :)
Pasir Ris, really?

Does that mean that there are some decent places to get North Indian food in Pasir Ris as I dont know of any!!

If you do, please let me know. :)
Life is short, paddle harder!!

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 5:26 pm

Sorry, I guess the sarcasm was too much for my quip about Tampines. Sheesh people. Just celebrated my 5 year anniversary on the board, fun to see what still riles folks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 5:54 pm

Barnsley wrote:

Pasir Ris, really?

Does that mean that there are some decent places to get North Indian food in Pasir Ris as I dont know of any!!

As for Indian Food in Tampines ? yes, I can refer in Tampines - Mall, at Basement with Naan and all, and the Big Bites at Food court, and the Andhra food place at Telepark . .. and the Kannada place in S-11 .. food from India as authentic as it can get, if not the original ..

Decent ? You mean Good ?? one man's meat is another's ...:D :D

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 10:42 am

ecureilx wrote:
Barnsley wrote:

Pasir Ris, really?

As for Indian Food in Tampines ? yes, I can refer in Tampines - Mall, at Basement with Naan and all, and the Big Bites at Food court, and the Andhra food place at Telepark . .. and the Kannada place in S-11 .. food from India as authentic as it can get, if not the original ..

Decent ? You mean Good ?? one man's meat is another's ...:D :D
I was hoping for Pasir Ris ..... Tampines will have to do :D

The Indian food stall in the Kopitiam Food Court in Tampines was OK, but I think its changed hands since I last went, or the whole food court has had a revamp.

Will check out the basement place as I do like a naan bread. :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:00 am

ecureilx wrote: As for Indian Food in Tampines ? yes, I can refer in Tampines - Mall, at Basement with Naan and all, and the Big Bites at Food court, and the Andhra food place at Telepark . .. and the Kannada place in S-11 .. food from India as authentic as it can get, if not the original ..
IMHO authentic food from India is of worse quality than what you can get as the Indian food in Singapore so probably you should rethink your advertising strategy :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:25 am

x9200 wrote: IMHO authentic food from India is of worse quality than what you can get as the Indian food in Singapore so probably you should rethink your advertising strategy :P
But you know something my friend ? (apart from the fact that my advertising campaign crashed .. ) Food in India always tasted more Real - like those done with Coconut Milk, you could feel and smell the coconut milk, and those done with a tonne of Ghee - you could immerse yourself in the Aroma .. and fish did smell like fish, even when cooked and deep fried .. .. I could go on ..

Is that something to do with "Freshly caught" and "rarely cleaned" when they are prepared ?? :D :D

And even those "authentic" or "near Authentic" is nowhere what i have had in India .. oh, well, it doesn't help that almost each city / town have their own variation of everything .. :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:50 am

Yeah, I know what you mean but then again is it really that authentic over here? :) I believe the places I normally dine use fresh ingredients and as for the overall cleanness I don't really want to know. What I found out in India was everything testing the same as in SG and my perception level but full of bones, veins, tendons and similar stuff and less of meat. Does this contribute to the authenticity of the places you mentioned?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:57 am

Unless the seafood had to live in the Ganges with the rotting buffalo corpses, funeral pyre ashes, excrement and whatnot, it's not going to taste authentic is it squirrel!? :roll: :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 1:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless the seafood had to live in the Ganges with the rotting buffalo corpses, funeral pyre ashes, excrement and whatnot, it's not going to taste authentic is it squirrel!? :roll: :P
ouch .. I went up north, but was not tempted to go and see the Holy Ganges, nor be tempted to do a dive .. oh, the river is the essence of life .. :D :D

Yah, your description of Ganges is lacking just one tiny part - where those Yogi's eat the dead (the eaters of the dead) :P you missed it :D 8-)

PS: my comment that food in India smells and tastes 'authentic' was with a bit of pun .. :)
x9200 wrote: ..
Well, I was never tempted to have any meat in India, except in rare occasion, especially when I had the fun of seeing what food contamination does, to meat .. better a vegetarian in India than a non ! and not without reason ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 3:24 pm

ecureilx wrote: Well, I was never tempted to have any meat in India, except in rare occasion, especially when I had the fun of seeing what food contamination does, to meat .. better a vegetarian in India than a non ! and not without reason ..
Ok, so in other words you actually don't really know Indian food as you were afraid to eat it. How can compare then lah!? :mad: [-X

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 3:27 pm

After a (very long) month in India (both north and south) being wined and dined at "the very best" restaurants by the Infosys, TCSs, and Wipros, I couldn't tell the difference anymore between the food there and decent Indian sit-downs in London or Bay Area, California. The outdoor places I was told not to eat at might have been a "different" experience though :)