Singapore Expats

NS situation unclear - urgent advice required

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Dubbin

NS situation unclear - urgent advice required

Post by Dubbin » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:09 pm

I've been reading through all the post regarding and NS issues, solutions and situations that other people are in but currently, none of them can be related back to my situation.

I was introduced to this forum by a friend of mine to hopefully obtain some useful information and friendly advice regarding my NS situation.

I'll elaborate my problem as i suppose this might be an odd case as compared to some of the other cases posted here.

1) I am reaching 17 years old soon, holding singapore and a foreign passport
2) I was born and raised outside of singapore, never lived in singapore
3) Over the years, have only been back to singapore for short visits
4) Have extended singapore passport twice, once when i was 10 for an additional 2 years and a second time when i was 12 for another 9 years (due to expire just b4 i turn 21)
5) Do not hold the singapore NRIC (no singpass ID and NS portal ID)
6) Have never applied for exit permit
7) Have attended primary education in a singapore International School

I've now am being served with notices to register online for NS but as i do not have a singpass id or the ns portal id, i cannot register as requested to.

Currently, i've been accepted and pursuing my Foundation prior to my Uni course which start next year in a foreign country. I have tried to apply for deferment, but have been rejected.

I'm in such an awkward situation as i have parent who are either careless or ignorant (after staying abroad for nearly 20 years). Now i have to face this situation on how to proceed with my life.

Is there any possible way to defer for my Uni studies until i complete the course (when i reach 21) and then return for NS after that? If not, is there any way that i can legally renounce my citizenship? I hope to proceed with this without causing any further complications with the singapore government. I do not see myself residing or working in singapore in the future but i do wish to make short visits to singapore in the future.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:47 pm

Numbers 2 & 7 are inconsistent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 2:16 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Numbers 2 & 7 are inconsistent.

Maybe not. He attended a "Singapore International School" e.g., wherever he was located he attended a school for Singapore Curriculum much like the "American School" or "Tanglin Trust" for the British here.

However, He will NOT get a deferment to complete his military obligation later, nor will he get a renouncement of citizenship. As he has already past his registration age, he may well be considered a deserter as he IS a Singaporean Citizen AND he has renewed his Singapore Passport 2x since he was 10 years of age. Therefore his has enjoyed the socio-economic benefits of Singapore even though he did not school here nor get his NRIC.

The mistake that was made was his parents registered his birth at a Singapore Consulate, thereby making him liable for NS.

MS, with his network, may be able to see a possibility, but at the moment, it would appear that he is in a fine mess. I don't have a solution short of coming back and claiming ignorance and paying the fine and doing NS. He should notify CMPB of his arrival and just get it on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 3:05 pm

I agree with SE.

You are born here but raised overseas but attended International School in SG. So which is which

Where are you living now.?

Parents still hold SG PP or otherwise

You are having dual citizenship of which country ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 6:15 pm

re: 2 vs 7.

You see bus-loads of schoolchildren doing the Causeway-commute, would it not be possible to live in JB/area and attend school in SG?

Dubbin

Post by Dubbin » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 8:38 pm

To clarify, i was born in hong kong and is holding a hong kong passport along with the singapore passport as my dual citizenship.

Regarding 2 and 7, i have never lived in singapore. The "Singapore International School" is a primary school run by the singapore MOE in Hong Kong.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 9:23 pm

Touché :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: NS situation unclear - urgent advice required

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 21 Dec 2011 4:23 am

OK. my bad on your post and SMS is correct on this
Dubbin wrote: 1) I am reaching 17 years old soon, holding singapore and a foreign passport

You can only hold Dual Citizenship till 21 whereby you need to renounce either one. If you have informed ICA for this , a letter will be send out to declare your intention when you turn 21. If you did not do that, you WILL LOSE your SG Citizenship. If you did not inform them, then the issue of perjury when you renew your SG PP in the future

OK understood

3) Over the years, have only been back to singapore for short visits

I guess you must be using your SG PP to enter SG.

4) Have extended singapore passport twice, once when i was 10 for an additional 2 years and a second time when i was 12 for another 9 years (due to expire just b4 i turn 21)

This 2 years short extension instead of 5 years should have ring alot of bells when your parent extend your SG PP the first time when you turned 10. If your parent have lived in SG before and a Sger they should know the implication of NS liabilites. You should give them a BIG HUG and A BIG THANK YOU to your parents for messing your life. Well done MOM and DAD for screwing my life !!

5) Do not hold the singapore NRIC (no singpass ID and NS portal ID)

Does not matter as SG PP is being seen as enjoying socio economic benefits. It is more precious than the SG Pink IC

6) Have never applied for exit permit

Good on ya !! You are totally screwed up BIG TIME. Thanks to your parents

The minute they signed you up on SG International School, you are already on the Gahmen radar.

I've now am being served with notices to register online for NS but as i do not have a singpass id or the ns portal id, i cannot register as requested to.

Call CMPB at www.ns.sg or e-mail them and they will help you to register. Do not need any singpass or nsportal id

Currently, i've been accepted and pursuing my Foundation prior to my Uni course which start next year in a foreign country. I have tried to apply for deferment, but have been rejected.

No way, you will be allowed to defer. You have no EP since 13 years of age and SG Gahmen does not allow tertiary education deferment. NS deferment is only allowed up till A level or equivalent either local or overseas

I'm in such an awkward situation as i have parent who are either careless or ignorant (after staying abroad for nearly 20 years). Now i have to face this situation on how to proceed with my life.

Is there any possible way to defer for my Uni studies until i complete the course (when i reach 21) and then return for NS after that? If not, is there any way that i can legally renounce my citizenship? I hope to proceed with this without causing any further complications with the singapore government. I do not see myself residing or working in singapore in the future but i do wish to make short visits to singapore in the future.

As mentioned before , you have to serve the NS before going Uni. No two ways about it. If you still insist on going your way, you can dump the SG PP forever and ever and do not go SG not even on transit as you will be considered NS defaulter which carries a maximum fine of $10K or three years fine and...... and........ and..... and your parents will be liable for a fine of $3K. Your parent short changed you big time. Ignorant is NOT a Bliss in this case. Sounds harsh but this is reality . Many have tried and failed and you will be become one of those statistics number
IMHO. come back serve the NS for 2 years at most and leave for Uni will be the best option and you make peace with everybody and you can even come back to work in SG in the future. You do not know what the future holds for your. Do not shut the door and your option right now.
You cannot sack or fire your parents for their mistake, can you ? So learn from the mistakes and toe the line.
If you need more info , YELL !!!!

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!