Singapore Expats

Maid Agency Fee

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:20 am

sanjivvohra wrote: Looks that way :? Everyone seems to be having grief with Indians, history be damned!
No, History NOT be damned .. take England, 200 years or so ago, they were hanging people for petty crimes, and for sorcery .. and they are not dwelling on the past .. glorious or not .. and not gloating over it .. or that they were the industrial capital of the world (or so they used to say .. )

Why not everybody move on and look at the current, instead of saying "we have a thousand year old civilisation, but, yes, and we also have a few million who like to s**t on railways lines .. so how ?? Covering your eyes will not clear the mess in front of you .. And yah, a lot of new generation goes on to say "well, the media portrays the nasty sides of India and forgets the good we have done, like F1 ... Brand new airports .. and .. so ??

Does it mean the ugly sides of the country disappeared ? No .. they don't disappear .. ah, even when some people went for the F1, they were more than shocked that the workers doing the re-surfacing didn't even wear shoes in the hot sun, and melting tar, they were 'working hard' .. how does that equate to 1000 year culture when you leave more than half the population behind in your quest for progress ??
BTW, the aspect of cost of repatriation of maids to home country in case of a problem; I thought it was the responsibility of the employer to foot the bill and not the agency's? Did I get it wrong?
It is the employer's responsibility to repatriate .. but more than one Indian Maid agent knows that the employers dump the maid at the agency - and hence, possibly, the higher agency fees too ..

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:14 pm

nakatago wrote:
sanjivvohra wrote:
nakatago wrote:Are we starting a new meme?
Looks that way :? Everyone seems to be having grief with Indians, history be damned!

Logical question turns into India bashing, where have I seen this earlier? oh yes, practically everywhere :D
The reason people why bash Indians is because a lot of them--and as is turns out, including you as well--tend to be...over zealous.

We get it; you're proud of your culture and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But don't you think it can be overbearing at times?

Also, since you opted to bite instead of gracefully handling some jabs, everyone here is now just having fun at your expense. Congratulations, you're the flavor of the week.
Hey dont get me wrong, I enjoyed this parley like the best of them! I know its all in jest and I'm glad I got some of you riled enough to respond spiritedly.

Do I get a prize for being the flavour of the month, er, week? Single malt works for me! :D
Sanjiv

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:19 pm

sanjivvohra wrote:Do I get a prize for being the flavour of the month, er, week? Single malt works for me! :D
Friday is coming. You may get outpaced.

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:30 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sanjivvohra wrote: Looks that way :? Everyone seems to be having grief with Indians, history be damned!
No, History NOT be damned .. take England, 200 years or so ago, they were hanging people for petty crimes, and for sorcery .. and they are not dwelling on the past .. glorious or not .. and not gloating over it .. or that they were the industrial capital of the world (or so they used to say .. )

Why not everybody move on and look at the current, instead of saying "we have a thousand year old civilisation, but, yes, and we also have a few million who like to s**t on railways lines .. so how ?? Covering your eyes will not clear the mess in front of you .. And yah, a lot of new generation goes on to say "well, the media portrays the nasty sides of India and forgets the good we have done, like F1 ... Brand new airports .. and .. so ??

Does it mean the ugly sides of the country disappeared ? No .. they don't disappear .. ah, even when some people went for the F1, they were more than shocked that the workers doing the re-surfacing didn't even wear shoes in the hot sun, and melting tar, they were 'working hard' .. how does that equate to 1000 year culture when you leave more than half the population behind in your quest for progress ??
BTW, the aspect of cost of repatriation of maids to home country in case of a problem; I thought it was the responsibility of the employer to foot the bill and not the agency's? Did I get it wrong?
It is the employer's responsibility to repatriate .. but more than one Indian Maid agent knows that the employers dump the maid at the agency - and hence, possibly, the higher agency fees too ..
Aah a history major amongst us, feeding off reports in the media as usual (surfae panning, anyone?). I'm sure you have spent years in the sub-continent under discussion and have indepth knowledge of the history and way of life of the people there. I congratulate you. :lol: :P
WRT the Brits, not much to gloat about, past, present or future!!
You can do that? Dump the maid at the agency's door and walk away? Hmm, food for thought there.
Sanjiv

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:33 pm

x9200 wrote:
sanjivvohra wrote:Do I get a prize for being the flavour of the month, er, week? Single malt works for me! :D
Friday is coming. You may get outpaced.
FNDC has had its last "do" for the year, worse luck. I was looking forward to some holiday "cheer(s)".
Sanjiv

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:41 pm

sanjivvohra wrote: Aah a history major amongst us, feeding off reports in the media as usual (surfae panning, anyone?). I'm sure you have spent years in the sub-continent under discussion and have indepth knowledge of the history and way of life of the people there. I congratulate you. :lol: :P
WRT the Brits, not much to gloat about, past, present or future!!
Before you congratulate yourself on your fantastic retort, let me just remind you that I spent a grand total of 8 years in India, and travelled almost everywhere except the extreme north, and North East (the part that is not recommended to travel .. :D :D ) ..

And well, having seen the best and the worst of India, I guess I can safely say that unlike a lot of indians who live in 5 star residences and travel in tinted window cars and knows nothing other than what is shown to them .. I have seen .... and got stuck in Chandigarh, spent 12 hours in a train stopped for a storm .. and more .. anyway, let it not bother you ..
You can do that? Dump the maid at the agency's door and walk away? Hmm, food for thought there.
no, you can't do that, but .. a lot try to do that .. and the wise agent charges more $ than to get into argument explaining the legal roles and responsibilities .. oh, by the way, if the maid decides to do a high dive from the 10th floor or does a runner, MOM will still go after the Employer in any case, for any expenses, medical, bond etc. etc. etc. ... so .. the agents are still NOT liable .. :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:48 pm

sanjivvohra wrote: Do I get a prize for being the flavour of the month, er, week?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 1:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, thank you for your generosity!
Sanjiv

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 2:22 pm

And well, having seen the best and the worst of India, I guess I can safely say that unlike a lot of indians who live in 5 star residences and travel in tinted window cars and knows nothing other than what is shown to them .. I have seen .... and got stuck in Chandigarh, spent 12 hours in a train stopped for a storm .. and more .. anyway, let it not bother you ..
Sorry Buddy, I come from a small town called Jammu in the North (check Google for location), got to know 5 star at a ripe old age of 30, and no, it doesnt bother me at all!! :)
I guess your 8 years shadows my 49 odd, but thats all right. :P
Sanjiv

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 2:29 pm

sanjivvohra wrote: Sorry Buddy, I come from a small town called Jammu in the North (check Google for location), got to know 5 star at a ripe old age of 30, and no, it doesnt bother me at all!! :)
When we planned to head to Jammu, The BSF refused the permit .. so there went our plans to go upto Ladakh as well ..

Well, for a non-Indian, 8 years is grand, unlike you having the advantage of being born there .. so I still have a one-up :) I guess ..

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 3:09 pm

ecureilx wrote: When we planned to head to Jammu, The BSF refused the permit .. so there went our plans to go upto Ladakh as well ..

Well, for a non-Indian, 8 years is grand, unlike you having the advantage of being born there .. so I still have a one-up :) I guess ..
You missed a great opportunity there. Leh-Ladakh is beautiful any time of the year. I think security concerns must have prompted the BSF to deny you permission.
I guess you are right, 8 years in a foreign land really is grand. One up? Sure!! :)
Sanjiv

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 4:20 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sanjivvohra wrote: Sorry Buddy, I come from a small town called Jammu in the North (check Google for location), got to know 5 star at a ripe old age of 30, and no, it doesnt bother me at all!! :)
When we planned to head to Jammu, The BSF refused the permit .. so there went our plans to go upto Ladakh as well ..

Frankly, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between an Sri Lankan & an Indian. Both tend to be full of themselves! Especially if they got masters! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 4:22 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 4:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Frankly, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between an Sri Lankan & an Indian. Both tend to be full of themselves! Especially if they got masters! :P

And luckily I don't have masters .. so I escaped :D :D by a whisker !!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 4:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Frankly, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between an Sri Lankan & an Indian. Both tend to be full of themselves! Especially if they got masters! :P
Not so fast. IMPO, they are different in few ways, though one may not be able to tell by looks alone.

And

I'm sure Sri Lankans would beg to differ with the same enthusiasm Singaporeans have when it comes to Malaysians.

:P