Singapore Expats

Maid Agency Fee

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 1:58 pm

sanjivvohra wrote: By the way, not really got an answer to my question, maybe too cerebral?
You certainly did in my initial post here. Did you actually think I was kidding?

Oh, My wife doesn't like the loudmouth entitlement afflicted Indians with superiority complexes, with no visible reasons, from the sub-continent either. For the same reasons. And yes, we actually tried an Indian maid once 28 years ago. Lasted 3 months. Had to revert to one from the Philippines. She lasted two years and then we decided we didn't need one any longer. Have had one since.

Agriculture? Want to compare yields/acre? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 7:22 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sanjivvohra wrote: Aaah! Now I see a pattern here (good at this as all Indians are, seeing a pattern I mean!). West wants to "sell" their "culture" (or lack of it) and cries when the not so "fortunate" pick it up. Indian culture is only one ... "agriculture: and we are good at it. No false pretenses here.
I would unlike most who go 'when in Rome, be like Romans' which .. some people take it like "when in Rome, enforce your culture .. and expect the natives to bow down, and when the natives refuse, you accuse them of bigotry .. and malice, and racial attacks ... "

Makes sense ??? Or not ??? :D :D

Now, is Australia in the "WEST ?? :D :D

And, oh, closer to home .. is Singapore in the "WEST" ??? The last time I checked my Geography, both were to the EAST of MOTHER LAND !!!!!!!!!! :D
East or West, home is the best! Depends on what you call home though. Some like to call themselves "westerly" cultured without regard to their geographical location. Not sure where their hearts lie, certainly not in the geography of their location!
BTW, learnt the trick of enforcing culture from the Brits; they did a fantastic job in trying this in all colonies. Failed in some though (thankfully) but we like the concept of enriching cultures where we go.
Question that I continue to ask is that if the Indian maids are so bad, why are people paying exorbitant sums to agencies to get them into their homes?
Sanjiv

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 7:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Agriculture? Want to compare yields/acre? :wink:
Hmmm, not on this thread. Anyway we play by volumes. Lots of land you see! :lol:
Sanjiv

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 8:25 pm

ecureilx wrote: Well, according to him, the Indians who migrated long time ago are quite, blend in the natives and are easy going .. Unlike the "new Indians", who, according to him .. are loud, throw their weight around, and play act what they see in movies (like trying to pinch local women and so and so) and more often DEMAND THEY BE TREATED like princelings ..
Is it really that surprising and unjustified? We visited Akshardham temple complex in Delhi few years back where we took an educational trip (by boat) through the centuries and learned that actually Indians invented (pardon moi language) practically *BEEP* everything starting from a concept of the atom ending with gunpowder and some more modern inventions.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 8:54 pm

sanjivvohra wrote: Hmmm, not on this thread. Anyway we play by volumes. Lots of land you see! :lol:
You mean to say that India has lots of land ?? wow ... I never knew that .. :( :( I know India is big, but that BIGGGG ?????

Time to ask my school for a refund for teaching me otherwise ..

Should ask my parents to start the paper work for teaching me false information .. :P :P :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 9:09 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Well, according to him, the Indians who migrated long time ago are quite, blend in the natives and are easy going .. Unlike the "new Indians", who, according to him .. are loud, throw their weight around, and play act what they see in movies (like trying to pinch local women and so and so) and more often DEMAND THEY BE TREATED like princelings ..
Is it really that surprising and unjustified? We visited Akshardham temple complex in Delhi few years back where we took an educational trip (by boat) through the centuries and learned that actually Indians invented (pardon moi language) practically *BEEP* everything starting from a concept of the atom ending with gunpowder and some more modern inventions.
Jesus visited as well.

http://www.sol.com.au/kor/7_01.htm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:41 pm

x9200 wrote: Is it really that surprising and unjustified? We visited Akshardham temple complex in Delhi few years back where we took an educational trip (by boat) through the centuries and learned that actually Indians invented (pardon moi language) practically *BEEP* everything starting from a concept of the atom ending with gunpowder and some more modern inventions.

There was a running gag on this theme in an British Indian sit-com show, around 20 years ago.

At the mention of anything of any utility at all one (or more) of the characters would proudly interject with 'Indian you know!'

Maybe the scriptwriters had been on the same tour? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:04 am

sanjivvohra wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Agriculture? Want to compare yields/acre? :wink:
Hmmm, not on this thread. Anyway we play by volumes. Lots of land you see! :lol:
Must be why the rupee is going to hell in a tin cup. Won't be worth a tinker's dam pretty soon. (sic!) Productivity still worthless there seems to be what you are saying now. So that wouldn't be saying too much for your agricultural capabilities then, would it. :wink:

Indian maids, while inexpensive salary wise, are costly as they agents still have pay for repatriations far more often for reasons noted earlier. With most of then unable to stay for more than a couple of months, due to the typical Indian intractability, the agencies cannot afford to place them cheaply as they know they'll lose money. So therefore they charge higher placement fees. They gotta make a profit as well, even if they are providing a substandard product.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 7:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: They gotta make a profit as well, even if they are providing a substandard product.
And Indians being .. Be Indian, Buy Indian, prefer to support the 'Indian Maids' even though they don't deliver :D :D

Well, that's what a colleague told me when he has switched 4 maids in 2 years, each and every time the maid claiming homesick and the agent not doing much .. and when I suggested he look for a Myanmar or Indonesian Maid, the answer was "we prefer Indian maids .. "

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 8:25 am

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote: Is it really that surprising and unjustified? We visited Akshardham temple complex in Delhi few years back where we took an educational trip (by boat) through the centuries and learned that actually Indians invented (pardon moi language) practically *BEEP* everything starting from a concept of the atom ending with gunpowder and some more modern inventions.

There was a running gag on this theme in an British Indian sit-com show, around 20 years ago.

At the mention of anything of any utility at all one (or more) of the characters would proudly interject with 'Indian you know!'

Maybe the scriptwriters had been on the same tour? :)
I am curious why do they need such propaganda. This is clearly not a superiority complex. Just the opposite one.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 8:33 am

Superiority complex, that's Indian you know!

p.s. That David Attenboroughaja, Indian too. Antartica... its Indian!!

Polar bears... Indian!!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 8:44 am

Are we starting a new meme?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:44 am

nakatago wrote:Are we starting a new meme?
Looks that way :? Everyone seems to be having grief with Indians, history be damned!

Logical question turns into India bashing, where have I seen this earlier? oh yes, practically everywhere :D

BTW, the aspect of cost of repatriation of maids to home country in case of a problem; I thought it was the responsibility of the employer to foot the bill and not the agency's? Did I get it wrong?
Sanjiv

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:56 am

sanjivvohra wrote:
nakatago wrote:Are we starting a new meme?
Looks that way :? Everyone seems to be having grief with Indians, history be damned!

Logical question turns into India bashing, where have I seen this earlier? oh yes, practically everywhere :D
The reason people why bash Indians is because a lot of them--and as is turns out, including you as well--tend to be...over zealous.

We get it; you're proud of your culture and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But don't you think it can be overbearing at times?

Also, since you opted to bite instead of gracefully handling some jabs, everyone here is now just having fun at your expense. Congratulations, you're the flavor of the week.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:13 am

When one is over zealous and thin-skinned at the same time, it makes for interesting reactions. Especially if they have a masters. :P