Singapore Expats

Is Singapore too straight-laced for its own good?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Is Singapore too straight-laced for its own good?

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 6:31 am

-------------------------------
Apple co-founder says Singapore is too straitlaced
04:45 AM Dec 16, 2011
Even as companies such as Google, Yahoo! and Facebook have chosen Singapore as the focal point of their investment in the region, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has claimed that the tech giant "could never have happened in a formal culture in Singapore".

In an interview with BBC Radio, Mr Wozniak said: "Look at structured societies like Singapore where bad behaviour is not tolerated and can get you extreme punishments: Where are the creative people? Where are the great artists, where are the great musicians, where are the great writers, where are the great athletes?"

Mr Wozniak, who was in Singapore in March to give a talk at an event organised by the Workforce Development Agency and the National Trades Union Congress, was talking to the BBC about a counterculture ethos that was vital for creativity and how it had continued to influence Apple.

During the interview, he added of Singapore: "All the creative elements seem to disappear. Though, of course, everybody is educated and has a good job and nice pay and a car.

"Thinking for yourself is creativity and that's goes right down to what we were talking about, dress, the clothing that you wear - you wear what you want to wear."
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Si ... traitlaced
-----------------------------

I'm unsure whether the answer is yes or no, as SG can always import creative FT. A parallel question might be but what happens when electioneering requires that FT stops being imported.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Unfortunately, it could be worse

Post by The Ref » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 8:03 am

A link regarding Indonesia. http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=24936&sec=9 :o

Singapore is far better at allowing personal freeedoms.

[edited to update country]
Last edited by The Ref on Fri, 16 Dec 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Unfortunately, it could be worse

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 8:31 am

The Ref wrote:A link regarding Malaysia. http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=24936&sec=9 :o

Singapore is far better at allowing personal freeedoms.
EXCUSE ME! It is in Indonesia!

but then again, Malaysia is nowhere better...

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 9:01 am

Thanks Lynx, I had posted from memory and should have checked when I found the link.

I have edited my post

Eibow
Regular
Regular

Post by Eibow » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 9:02 am

This sounds like old news (but good to hear Woz agrees). The other places mentioned may be more difficult for an innovative company like Apple to take off, but Singapore tries to give the "perception" that it is otherwise.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 9:03 am

The Ref wrote:Thanks Lynx, I had posted from memory and should have checked when I found the link.

I have edited my post
Haha no problem :P
A good way to jump start my Friday~

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 9:16 am

Woz has a point but he'll also got the locals up in arms.

:-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:07 am

But Singaporeans are creative.

The government leads the way in culturing creativity, the very independent and anti-establishment media here takes the cue, and starts inculcating creativity in the local populace.

The hiterto uncreative people known as Singaporeans gradually learn to be creative, and after a few years can claim to have become genuinely creative.

Of course none of this happened without first having gone thrugh about one million rounds of consultation, white papers and reports to ensure that the success in creating creative Singaporeans.

Quite possibly in that time, some creative person somewhere decided that school was boring and decided to do something silly like creating angry animal games for fun and then see where it goes.

Admittedly, these same other countries are far more forgiving of unfinished schooling in terms of future income-earning ability.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:53 am

teck21 wrote:But Singaporeans are creative.

The government leads the way in culturing creativity, the very independent and anti-establishment media here takes the cue, and starts inculcating creativity in the local populace.

The hiterto uncreative people known as Singaporeans gradually learn to be creative, and after a few years can claim to have become genuinely creative.

Of course none of this happened without first having gone thrugh about one million rounds of consultation, white papers and reports to ensure that the success in creating creative Singaporeans.

Quite possibly in that time, some creative person somewhere decided that school was boring and decided to do something silly like creating angry animal games for fun and then see where it goes.

Admittedly, these same other countries are far more forgiving of unfinished schooling in terms of future income-earning ability.
That's gotta be your version of sarcasm....or a joke, right?!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:00 am

I was reading that report with interest and I find it amusing to know that Woz was implying he supported bad behavior. On the back of my mind, he was pushing the freedom of expression on a country that praised itself on orderliness. Not that freedom of expression is bad until it became detrimental to the society.

Singapore might be sterile and boring to a certain extent but if chaos and expressive actions run rampant for the sake of individual freedom , then, I would rather choose the former.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:13 am

nakatago wrote:Woz has a point but he'll also got the locals up in arms.

:-|
Actually, the Singapore I saw 12 years plus ago, was more straight laced, but the people were more scared of littering, getting into fights, or vocally telling FT to get lost etc. etc.. .. oh, don't forget that bars had to shutter down by 12 midnight, and discotheques, latest, 3 AM on weekends .. and all becomes quite

As I mentioned before, during concerts, you were not allowed to dance and jump on the seats - should you stand up, a cop walks over and says "please refrain from damaging public property - want to dance, go to the back and dance .. "

And the time they gave anti-IMF protestors a square "yellow" box and told them "Do not cross the line, or you will be arrested - stay within the line and do your protests .. " (was in 10 meter by 10 meter or smaller ? I forgot the details, but it was funny watching them, I was in the B2 of Suntec Car park, peering over some CCTV)

Well, and those were the days that foreigners were vary of picking fights, and also there were less of bar brawls.

Now, it is more common every weekend to see bar brawls, or claims of molest, and foreigner bashing (atleast online and not in person) and littering, petty theft .. (or more is being reported unlike before .. )

I don't know which is better, but .. hey, the natives should voice out about their preference I guess .. not Steve Woz !!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:14 am

local lad wrote:I was reading that report with interest and I find it amusing to know that Woz was implying he supported bad behavior. On the back of my mind, he was pushing the freedom of expression on a country that praised itself on orderliness. Not that freedom of expression is bad until it became detrimental to the society.

Singapore might be sterile and boring to a certain extent but if chaos and expressive actions run rampant for the sake of individual freedom , then, I would rather choose the former.
That's cause you are local right? I agree that there are ups and downs to both "sides" of the fence in this respect though.

nut
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:16 am

The problem I see here is that people seem to think you can only be on either camp. It's "you're either with us or against us." What's wrong with disagreeing with some points but agreeing on others?

Sometimes, people get too defensive.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:19 am

local lad wrote:Singapore might be sterile and boring to a certain extent but if chaos and expressive actions run rampant for the sake of individual freedom , then, I would rather choose the former.
Well I personally think the pendulum doesn't have to be swung from one extreme to another. Why can't we have a little of the best of both worlds?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:28 am

nakatago wrote:Sometimes, people get too defensive.
No I don't!
nutnut