Singapore Expats

Moving to SG with long term girlfriend

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 3:57 am

JR8 wrote:No probs, SMS has had a good go at clearing it up.

Funny thing is that MoM seem willing to issues LTVPs to people who 'have a relationship... which exists' :?
Ah..... .... I got it.

OK another perspective in a simpler way

Anything related to working in SG you go to MOM. For this particular issue LTVP applied under common law spouse thru MOM will be sufficient for ICA for approval once vetted by MOM.
Notarising must be from either SG Mission overseas or Public Notary. True likeness with orginal PP as proof is sufficient. Of course the officials in th embassy has to cover their arse when they said they are not lawyer per se.
Anyway lawyers are always liars

Anything related to immigration will be under the purview of ICA.

GF or BF as common law spouse is more to accommodate the trend right now , I believe was changed after feedbacks from EDB, MNCs relocating here , head hunters and business communties trying to attract good FTs.

Same sex marriage, I heard about it but not so common during my time so I do not know. SMS knows better

Having said that, SG racial and religion identity does not recognise same sex marriage period. Gahmen knows about it but put a blind eye
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 4:05 am

Ah I see, very interesting.

So what is the definition of 'a relationship', or 'Common law marriage'? The latter does not exist (as far as I know) in SG, so is it as defined in the law of applicant's home country?

So for example, the SG embassy in the UK could not 'accredit' a common law marriage, as there is no legal basis to that in the UK.

The SG embassy in Washington DC could only accredit a common-law marriage for the circa 10 of 50 US states in which it is legally recognised.

(i know some might consider this pedantic, but it is on such details that matters often hinge!)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 4:18 am

JR8 wrote:Ah I see, very interesting.

So what is the definition of 'a relationship', or 'Common law marriage'? The latter does not exist (as far as I know) in SG, so is it as defined in the law of applicant's home country?

So for example, the SG embassy in the UK could not 'accredit' a common law marriage, as there is no legal basis to that in the UK.

The SG embassy in Washington DC could only accredit a common-law marriage for the circa 10 of 50 US states in which it is legally recognised.

(i know some might consider this pedantic, but it is on such details that matters often hinge!)
No, you are not pedantic
Even in NZ they call it "partner" instead of common law marriage and it is very loosely define. As I come to understan in OZ and NZ as long as you are in a relationship for more than 6 months then you entitled to be call "partner". Confusing yes but I call it accommodating for the needy few
Yes it is more for the applicant home country.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:27 am

Mad Scientist wrote: No, you are not pedantic
Even in NZ they call it "partner" instead of common law marriage and it is very loosely define. As I come to understan in OZ and NZ as long as you are in a relationship for more than 6 months then you entitled to be call "partner". Confusing yes but I call it accommodating for the needy few
Yes it is more for the applicant home country.
And in "PC" England, almost all online newspapers seems to have stopped using the word "GF/BF" for couples in relationship .. and use the word "Partner" more freely .. even for those who are in civil union and have more than one child ..

Are marriages dying ??

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:52 am

marriages started dying with the advent of Pre-Nuptials.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 2:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:marriages started dying with the advent of Pre-Nuptials.

And that's mighty encouraging for me :( :( ah well .. :)

Ah, recently a guy was trying to get his 'partner' status notarized back home, and the NP refused to certify it, saying it is immoral .. and all

Then next day comes the news that UK Govt will cut off aid for countries that dont' accept homosexuality or victimise homosexual partners ..

And somebody loosely said that means, beneficiaries must be homosexual to get UK Aid .. :D

Ah, on the "partner" thingy, a nice read ..

http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/ ... lton-john/

:D :D Somebody has some funny bones left !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 6:14 pm

ecureilx wrote: And in "PC" England, almost all online newspapers seems to have stopped using the word "GF/BF" for couples in relationship .. and use the word "Partner" more freely .. even for those who are in civil union and have more than one child ..
Are marriages dying ??
GF/BF would now be thought of as something teenagers have. An unmarried adult relationship demands more gravitas, hence the (in my opinion vulgar) term partner, which suggests something established and mature. To me it comes over as rather a 'We should be married really I suppose, but we haven't got around to it yet' situation.

Civil union with more than one child? How does that work, you mean same sex couples with children? Well, there aren't too many of those around I reckon. Even then the use of the terms husband and wife has legal connotations (i.e. deriving from marriage).

I think marriage is less common now in the UK due to many factors:

- breakdown of 'standard' family structure
- breakdown of social expectation that people will live in a 'standard' family structure
- the enslavement of women into the corporate culture rather than the domestic one as a result of the women’s liberation movement
- waning participation in religion
- pre-nuptial agreements (though they hold no material legal weight in the UK, they are part of a cultural shift)
- as gryps highlights above for tax and benefits you are usually better off (sometimes by far) if you’re single

Grybs

Post by Grybs » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 8:46 pm

Yikes, we're talking about the decline of marriage in the West now? Heavy stuff.

At this point it seems only fair to let you folks know that, after a great deal of pondering, we're going to go ahead and get married in January. Seems easiest, right? :)

Thanks for all your advice and, to anybody in The Future who's reading this: don't take my example to mean you too have to get married. Somewhere out there mulherengo's girlfriend is chilling on a Dependent Pass, and yours could be too.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 24 Dec 2011 5:32 am

Congratulation on your upcoming wedding

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 24 Dec 2011 5:37 am

+1, get in there Grybs, you won't regret it :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 26 Dec 2011 2:40 am

You only need document proof of cohabiting and any UK solicitor can be witness to the signing after proof of documentation, same registered address will be enough and a signed affidavit under oath by 2 witnesses one is the solicitor. Getting married will allow her to seek employment under the dependant scheme.

Much more costly getting divorced!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:15 am

Grybs wrote:Yikes, we're talking about the decline of marriage in the West now? Heavy stuff.

At this point it seems only fair to let you folks know that, after a great deal of pondering, we're going to go ahead and get married in January. Seems easiest, right? :)

Thanks for all your advice and, to anybody in The Future who's reading this: don't take my example to mean you too have to get married. Somewhere out there mulherengo's girlfriend is chilling on a Dependent Pass, and yours could be too.
As someone who has moved with a GF before, this is the best thing you can do.

To everyone else in viewer-land, never, ever, ever, move anywhere (even to just a different state or province) with a BF/GF/partner/non-spouse. If you're still unsure about the commitment, my god don't move with them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Dec 2011 1:07 pm

^^^^

+1
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

balaratnam

Post by balaratnam » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 8:54 pm

Z13 wrote:
Long Term Visit Pass - Before you apply
Eligibility

P1, P2 Employment Pass holders may apply for Long Term Visit Passes for their:

Common-law Spouse
JR8: I'm on a P1. I applied for her to get a LTVP based on the above.
JR8 - very keen to get in touch with you but as a newbie have been restricted from PMing you. Could you perhaps PM me instead? I want to ask you about hte agent you mentioned for arranging the LTVP for your GF. I've posted the following elsewhere already -

"I've read various posts so far and it seems to me that the best way for my fiancee to join me in Singapore when I relocate, is that my company sponsors a long term visit pass application. We are both in the UK now but are nationals of Germany (me) and Hungary. To apply, I believe I need a letter from the German embassy recognising our co-habitation and in effect marriage under common law (no we are not married yet - just engaged). Can I still apply without this letter? What if I got a letter from the Hungarian embassy as well - will it help?

I plan to marry after the move so I can save up for the wedding etc. The plan is to get married in Singapore. Then she can get a dependency pass and start to look for work at that point- she will struggle otherwise to get an Employment Pass in Singapore due to her limited academic background although she has worked her way up to a fairly senior position.

Can she come into Singapore on a visitor's pass (EU = 90days?) and we then sort out the Long Term Visit Pass here? We have lots of documents to show we have been living together etc. Any advice on how to do this the right way?"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 9:23 pm

Hi Balaratnam,

I think that you might be confusing me, because that was a statement made by 'Z13' and was simply flagged with my name because he intended it for my attention.

I'm not that clued up on this common-law issue, it is more something of occasional passing interest to me. Others here unquestionably are Subject Matter Experts on it. So it would be better for me to leave it to them to help you.

I'll just say that establishing the de facto relationship, via having an embassy letter seems to one of the documentary requirements from ICA, so that's what you need.

Just my 1.5 cents :)