Singapore Expats

Library joining fee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sital

Library joining fee

Post by Sital » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 6:30 pm

can someone please advice me why I have to pay to join a library in Singapore... aren't all libraries free to join? Please shed some light.
Sital

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 6:36 pm

I'm assuming you're a foreigner. That means nothing's keeping you to stay in Singapore which can also mean you can borrow something to never return it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 7:10 pm

See following link.

It's clearly advertised, if you don't like it then you don't have to join, you can buy all the books you want to read instead.

http://www.nlb.gov.sg/page/PlMicrositeC ... yGuidePage

1f is the section for Foreigners, very reasonable if you ask me.

nutnut
nutnut

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:14 pm

Seriously - for 6 books / mags / dvd's at at time for 3 weeks - $50 is peanuts. I'll gladly pay that if just to support the library (and they carry decent stuff too).

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:25 pm

It was a surprise to us at first as well. But we paid--and once we became PR it's FREE. Just one unknown benefit of being PR? :)

If you read a lot it's worth it--or if you live or work near a library. They do carry some great stuff and you can go on-line to reserve and search for books, dvd's and cds. Pretty god system actually.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:42 pm

Well if you don't fancy paying the fee, you can always sit there and read all the way :P

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 12:12 pm

Free? Yes, as stated, but just to residents. Local schools aren't fee either, even to residents. They aren't expensive but they aren't without cost, either. The library has a high level of services. If, for example, you request a book from another branch they will obtain it and SMS you that it is in. They'll also SMS a reminder that your books are due.

My advice - pay the fee and enjoy the benefits.