Singapore Expats

Coming to Singapore Before Employment Pass is Ready

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Shadowhawk

Coming to Singapore Before Employment Pass is Ready

Post by Shadowhawk » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:14 am

Hi everyone,

I did a search on the forum, but couldn't find anything on this topic. If it has been discussed before, please direct me to the thread and accept my apologies in advance!

I have accepted a Research Associate position with NUS, and I am now waiting for the EP to be processed and approved. Given the times that I have heard quoted, I could be approved some time between January 6-20. However, I do have a few questions:

1. Is there a chance that I could be rejected? I have an MSc from MIT and I will be doing research on topics I have 1-3 years of experience in.

2. Is it imprudent if I put a deposit on an apartment and book my flight before the EP is approved? Will there be any concerns with having this stuff before my EP is approved?

3. Can I enter Singapore on a tourist visa before my EP is approved, and wait for approval while in Singapore? (I am a Canadian citizen.) Will people ask questions because I am coming in on a tourist visa but have an apartment lease already?

4. If I am in Singapore when I get my EP, do I have to exit and re-enter the country?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers,

Howard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:22 am

1. Yes, but largely dependent on supply and demand of your industry. Research seems relatively safer though but there's still a chance. YMMV, though.
2. You can't legally rent without having some sort of residency status (i.e. your EP). You can, however, stay in a hotel, a Serviced Apartment or with a friend.
3. Yes; see #2. However, do a search for "In-Principle approval" for more details.
4. Nope; see #3.

The others will be with you shortly.

EDIT: got my acronyms mixed-up
Last edited by nakatago on Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Coming to Singapore Before Employment Pass is Ready

Post by the lynx » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:36 am

Shadowhawk wrote:Hi everyone,

I did a search on the forum, but couldn't find anything on this topic. If it has been discussed before, please direct me to the thread and accept my apologies in advance!

I have accepted a Research Associate position with NUS, and I am now waiting for the EP to be processed and approved.

Congratulations. Considered battle half won!

Given the times that I have heard quoted, I could be approved some time between January 6-20. However, I do have a few questions:

1. Is there a chance that I could be rejected? I have an MSc from MIT and I will be doing research on topics I have 1-3 years of experience in.

I echo Nak's reply on this. Supply and demand. It all depends on MOM.

2. Is it imprudent if I put a deposit on an apartment and book my flight before the EP is approved? Will there be any concerns with having this stuff before my EP is approved?

You don't want to put your money without seeing the apartment in person. There are scams going around like that. Better put up somewhere temporarily (hotels, friend's) first and then slowly scout around.

My best personal advice is that you wait until the HR confirms that you have IPA first before you pack your bags. The validity period of IPA before you complete the final procedures is sufficient. It would suck if you were to fly all the way here from Canada just to find out that MOM rejects you.

3. Can I enter Singapore on a tourist visa before my EP is approved, and wait for approval while in Singapore? (I am a Canadian citizen.) Will people ask questions because I am coming in on a tourist visa but have an apartment lease already?

Yes you can do that. Assuming you arrive here before your EP is approved, you can still enter with tourist visa (do check on the visa though). With IPA and that disembarkation card, you can proceed to MOM to settle the rest of the procedures. Still, I wouldn't recommend that you jump into apartment lease before coming here.

4. If I am in Singapore when I get my EP, do I have to exit and re-enter the country?

No. Refer to my answer in #3. When you visit MOM for the second time to collect your EP photocard, that disembarkation card will be retained by MOM and your EP will serve as the disembarkation card itself.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Welcome. I'm sure the others will have more info.

Cheers,

Howard

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:52 am

What's the rush ? Take it slowly, Get the IPA first
YOu can get SVP visa for 90 days if you still insist on coming without IPA
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:09 am

Shadowhawk wrote:1. Is there a chance that I could be rejected? I have an MSc from MIT and I will be doing research on topics I have 1-3 years of experience in.
If you had a PhD it would be almost certain you are already in but MSc even from MIT it would more depend on your profile, experience etc. I suggest you ask this question your HR dept. to be and really do not harry. Wait till your IPA is out before making any move.

Shadowhawk

Post by Shadowhawk » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:25 am

Thanks for the quick replies, folks!

I think you're dead on - I am definitely rushing things (as it is my nature to be impatient). It's good to have some objective opinions advising me to take it slow. When it really comes down to it, there is no rush.

Y'all are definitely one of the friendliest bunch of forumers I've ever encountered! :D

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:36 am

Shadowhawk wrote:Y'all are definitely one of the friendliest bunch of forumers I've ever encountered! :D
Hey, see, It's working already!
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:13 pm

Our replies or their sense of entitlement? :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 2:09 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 3:28 pm

nutnut wrote:
Shadowhawk wrote:Y'all are definitely one of the friendliest bunch of forumers I've ever encountered! :D
Hey, see, It's working already!
replies come in many ways and how one portray oneself will have adverse effect on one's health and mind :twisted:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 5:43 pm

Shadowhawk wrote:
2. Is it imprudent if I put a deposit on an apartment and book my flight before the EP is approved?

It would be interesting to know how you planned to decide on a place before arriving. I ask as recently another guy was planning to rent before moving, and when he elaborated with the details it was clearly a scam.

Shadowhawk

Post by Shadowhawk » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 8:57 pm

Someone I know personally is doing their MBA at INSEAD and she's been helping me find listings on their internal network. She knows the guy I was taking over for so I felt fairly safe. Was I being naive even in this situation?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:09 pm

If you didn't have the AIP in your hands yet...... yes.

It wasn't a scam, but you still could put the other guy in trouble with the landlord if you didn't, for some reason, get the AIP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Shadowhawk

Post by Shadowhawk » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:22 pm

Just because I'm dense and curious, it really is illegal to lease a flat (not a Serviced Apartment) without an IPA/EP? Have you heard of anyone doing it anyway? Consequences? I'm really glad I checked with you guys...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:28 pm

Shadowhawk wrote:Just because I'm dense and curious, it really is illegal to lease a flat (not a Serviced Apartment) without an IPA/EP? Have you heard of anyone doing it anyway? Consequences? I'm really glad I checked with you guys...
Yes, afraid so. I imagine the law is to deter property owners turning apartment buildings into short stay accommodation for people who don't have residency.

p.s. Taking over a place through personal contacts sounds like a sound way to go (when you have residency). The other guy in question had picked a unit from classified ads, and the landlord (who didn't live in Singapore) was telling him to pay rent and depo up front (via Western Union), and that the keys would be DHLd to him in return. Hmmm. We know of two classified sites where these kind of ads are appearing, hence my asking you the question.