Singapore Expats

Age for "NS-Liability" for SPR

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Andrew32671

Age for "NS-Liability" for SPR

Post by Andrew32671 » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 7:43 pm

First thank you very much for the various postings on the issue of NS-liability; I have found them very helpful and instructive.

I do however have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to despite scouring the internet for hours.

My wife and I are both SPRs, and so is my 6 year old son who just started studying in an International School. Our family is looking at emigrating overseas eventually. I read about the need for exit permits at 13 and enlistment at 16.5. My question is this - if he renounces his PR before age 13, would he still be NS-liable? In other words, what is the age beyond which NS-liability is triggered.

I understand the consequences this may have on his ability to work in Singapore in future.

I would appreciate your insights.

Many thanks,
Andrew

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Age for "NS-Liability" for SPR

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 9:03 pm

Andrew32671 wrote:First thank you very much for the various postings on the issue of NS-liability; I have found them very helpful and instructive.

I do however have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to despite scouring the internet for hours.

My wife and I are both SPRs, and so is my 6 year old son who just started studying in an International School. Our family is looking at emigrating overseas eventually. I read about the need for exit permits at 13 and enlistment at 16.5. My question is this - if he renounces his PR before age 13, would he still be NS-liable? In other words, what is the age beyond which NS-liability is triggered.

I understand the consequences this may have on his ability to work in Singapore in future.

Many thanks,
Andrew

Hmmm classy!

Why did you take PR in the first place given your intentions to leave? Trying to milk the max out of the system and then scram abroad before your son hits the NS-liability buffers?

My advice? Don't expect too much sympathy from the experts here! My inexpert view is that ICA don't like being taken for a ride which would seem to be what you're trying to max out on.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 9:23 pm

Andrew32671 wrote:First thank you very much for the various postings on the issue of NS-liability; I have found them very helpful and instructive.

Many thanks,
Andrew
You understand the consequences, but you just don't give a rat's arse about his future and how you impact it in your quest to abuse the system. It's people like you who make it hard on all the others with your abuse.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 1:17 am

I think the short answer is this:
Any liability (incl. NS) he might have towards Singapore end with the day the PR is cancelled.
Any chance of ever again staying in Singapore also ends on that day.

(I wonder if the same is true if a Re-Entry permit is not renewed due to living abroad?)

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:38 am

JR8 wrote:

Many thanks,
Andrew

Hmmm classy!

Why did you take PR in the first place given your intentions to leave? Trying to milk the max out of the system and then scram abroad before your son hits the NS-liability buffers?

My advice? Don't expect too much sympathy from the experts here! My inexpert view is that ICA don't like being taken for a ride which would seem to be what you're trying to max out on.
If you can't or do not want to answer the question maybe you should stop posting irrelevant garbage so I do not need to waste time reading it.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:40 am

beppi wrote:I think the short answer is this:
Any liability (incl. NS) he might have towards Singapore end with the day the PR is cancelled.

(I wonder if the same is true if a Re-Entry permit is not renewed due to living abroad?)
Thanks beppi - your answer is straight to the point

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:06 pm

Koalabear wrote:

Unfortunately I think it is incorrect... Take a look at the other NS posts and stickies (posts at the top of the forum) and you should find your answer there.

Just to note, there was an article in the paper yesterday (Today) on PR's and NS. The locals don't like this...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:27 pm

Koalabear wrote: If you can't or do not want to answer the question maybe you should stop posting irrelevant garbage so I do not need to waste time reading it.
Who is forcing you to read it?

Fact is, you try and exploit PR, it'll bite you back in the derriere, as is evidenced here. If you think I'm wrong? Tell me why.

I'm sorry you don't like that news, but your feelings are not my problem, and do not override the facts of the matter.

Andrew32671

Post by Andrew32671 » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:28 pm

carteki wrote:
Koalabear wrote:

Unfortunately I think it is incorrect... Take a look at the other NS posts and stickies (posts at the top of the forum) and you should find your answer there.

Just to note, there was an article in the paper yesterday (Today) on PR's and NS. The locals don't like this...
Thanks beppi and carteki. I will look again at the stickies. Understand the sensitivities.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:38 pm

Andrew32671 wrote: Thanks beppi and carteki. I will look again at the stickies. Understand the sensitivities.
I do not want to jump in as this has been discussed at length. Go to Kraikk sticky or my posts. READ UP as much as you can, then if you think you cannot find the answer,YELL FOR ME. I doubt very much so it will happen but I will extend this offer for you as I am in good mood today .
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 8:16 am

To my dear OP

Read this and read this well from the local papers here

SINGAPORE - Over the last five years, about 8,800 permanent residents (PRs) served National Service (NS), Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen said in a written reply to a parliamentary question.

These males had become PRs under their parents' sponsorship.

Of these, about 6,100 have since taken up citizenship, Dr Ng added.

In the same period, however, another 4,200 men who were enlisted renounced their PR status before serving NS. They too had become PRs under the sponsorship of their parents.

Dr Ng said their failure to serve NS would be taken into account when they subsequently apply to study or work in Singapore.

They were warned about the consequences of their decision before they renounced their PR status, he added.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!