Singapore Expats

swimming lessons

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
tutto_bene

swimming lessons

Post by tutto_bene » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 3:27 pm

Hi all, I am looking for a swimming teacher for my kids; could anybody suggest one? I would prefer an english speaking teacher (not a local teacher), because we are brand new in Singapore, and my kids are learning english. We live in east coast and in our condo we have a nice swimming pool available. Thank you for any help!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 3:41 pm

Welcome to Singapore.

Some condos can recommend 'own-approved' swimming teachers for the residents. You may want to start from there.

Otherwise you can enrol your children to http://www.swimminglessons.com.sg/ where they have certified teachers.

tutto_bene

swimming lessons

Post by tutto_bene » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 6:29 pm

thank you very much for your suggestion, I had a look at the website and I checked with our condo management, but unfortunately in both cases I found only local teachers...I would really need a native english...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: swimming lessons

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 8:53 pm

tutto_bene wrote:thank you very much for your suggestion, I had a look at the website and I checked with our condo management, but unfortunately in both cases I found only local teachers...I would really need a native english...
Sorry dear but you won't be able to find 'native English' teaching swimming in Singapore. Every swimming teacher must be certified by the council and each one of them is at least a PR if not a citizen. I am assuming you're looking for Westerners since you implied so but your chance of finding a certified Western PR swimming teacher is as slim as finding a gold nugget.

I can think of two options:

1. Find a 'native English' friend to teach your children on 'friendly' basis.

2. Manage your expectations and choose a certified swimming teacher from the source I shared with you earlier on. Most teachers do speak decent English. Maybe you may want to spend some time to talk to the teachers first to gauge their English proficiency before commiting to engage them.

Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Re: swimming lessons

Post by the lynx » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 4:41 pm

tutto_bene wrote:thank you very much for your suggestion, I had a look at the website and I checked with our condo management, but unfortunately in both cases I found only local teachers...I would really need a native english...
Sorry dear but you won't be able to find 'native English' teaching swimming in Singapore. Every swimming teacher must be certified by the council and each one of them is at least a PR if not a citizen. I am assuming you're looking for Westerners since you implied so but your chance of finding a certified Western PR swimming teacher is as slim as finding a gold nugget.

I can think of two options:

1. Find a 'native English' friend to teach your children on 'friendly' basis.

2. Manage your expectations and choose a certified swimming teacher from the source I shared with you earlier on. Most teachers do speak decent English. Maybe you may want to spend some time to talk to the teachers first to gauge their English proficiency before commiting to engage them.

Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

gpfreer

Swim classes for toddlers

Post by gpfreer » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 2:03 pm

I'm looking for a good swim class for our kids too, 3yr old and 18 months. We have a big swimming pool too, at Camelot condo. Ill ask there if they have any but I dont think they do.

If you find a good english speaking teacher, dont care what nationality, get in touch and Ill do the same

Geoff

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 8:42 pm

http://www.swimminglessons.com.sg/

Same as Lynx just said, my son goes to Happy Fish and the instructor Zames is excellent and his English is very good. He teaches out of Bedok Swim Complex.

The school seem good so far, my son has only been going for a few weeks though (at 5 years old)

We tended to steer clear of the condo teachers in our condo, we didn't like them and also, we wanted the condo pool to be for fun and the other pool for lessons, kind of like when you go to work or school elsewhere, makes it easier for the kids to understand the difference.

that is all.

nut
nutnut