Singapore Expats

getting married and getting permanent residence in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
amin2604

getting married and getting permanent residence in Singapore

Post by amin2604 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 3:43 am

Hi dear all
Me and my girl friend are living out of singapor.

my nationality is Iranian and my girl friend is Singaporean.

there are 3 question that i want to ask:

1. can we get married out of Singapore according to the Singaporean regulation?

2. How long does it take for me to get permanent residence and citizenship of Singapore after we get married?

3.let say for example it take (X) year .during this time i have to be or live in singapor or those times that i was out of singapor is acceptable?

Notice
we want to get married soon but i cannot go to Singapore before one year .
for Iranian is necessary to get visa if they want to go Singapore

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 5:05 am

Foreign marriages are usually recognized by Singapore without problems.
(There might be special rules if you are Muslim, but I don't know those - ask MUIS! And some paperwork will be needed, at least official translation of the marriage cert into English.)
Foreigners being married to Singapore citizens can apply for a Dependants Pass (DP), if the Singaporean partner earns above S$3000/month. (Please note that you cannot work on a DP.)
BUT: If yours looks like a marriage of convenience (for the sole purpose of getting a visa) to the authorities (which means if you apply soon after marrying), the DP application can be rejected.
You need proof of having lived together (married or in a de-facto partnership) for a while (usually two years) to dispel this.
Getting PR (and eventually citizenship) would require several years of living in Singapore.
Good luck!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 5:50 am

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 5:54 am

beppi wrote: Foreigners being married to Singapore citizens can apply for a Dependants Pass (DP), if the Singaporean partner earns above S$3000/month. (Please note that you cannot work on a DP.)

I don't think you have this quite right:
Dependent's Passes (DP) are available to spouses/children of people residing and working on certain visas in Singapore. You can work on a DP with a Letter of Consent.

Foreigners married to Singapore Citizens of Permanent Residents, can apply for an LTVP. You cannot work on an LTVP.

Maybe you just confused the two.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: getting married and getting permanent residence in Singa

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 8:07 am

amin2604 wrote:
Let me correct this issue
there are 3 question that i want to ask:

1. can we get married out of Singapore according to the Singaporean
regulation?

Yes you can, and you can register with MUIS in Singapore under the Muslim Code of Registration for Muslim in Singapore. If you abide by this, you will need to go for marriage counseling before taking the plunge though it is not compulsory but it may hinder your LTSVP pass. If you are marrying your gf under 21, you will be subject to closer scrutiny as beppi stated " marriage of convenience"" The marriage Cert is written in English , Malay and Arabic and it is an authenticate cert hence you do not need any certification in SG

2. How long does it take for me to get permanent residence and citizenship of Singapore after we get married?

Get approval for marriage via ICA will be the safest bet then pn go an ROM in SG. After that apply LTSVP under spouse sponsorship but your future wife must earn at lest S$2.8K in order to sponsor you. Get into SG then on after 2 years apply PR

3.let say for example it take (X) year .during this time i have to be or live in singapor or those times that i was out of singapor is acceptable?

Notice
we want to get married soon but i cannot go to Singapore before one year .
for Iranian is necessary to get visa if they want to go Singapore
Do all this before you do the last question
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 8:49 am

Yes, I confused DP and LTVP.
I apologize!
Just replace DP in my post above by LTVP and it is correct.
DP is only for foreigners who bring their spouse (and then the spouse can work!).

amin2604

Post by amin2604 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 3:55 pm

thanks for your respond
my case is NOT marriage of convenience (for the sole purpose of getting a visa).
my girl friend is working in Malaysia and her salary is less than 3000$ so it means that she can not be my sponsor and i can not get pr by marry her?
is it necessary for us to live in Singapore for 2 year? what if we live together for 2 year but out of Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 4:28 pm

It will still probably take two years after returning to Singapore. But that all depends. Saint actually got his PR before even coming to Singapore so a lot has to do with your credentials and where you are from I would think. (Saint is English and his wife is Singaporean Chinese.)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers