Singapore Expats

S Pass Issue

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SeekHelp

S Pass Issue

Post by SeekHelp » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 9:30 am

Hi all!
I would like to seek for advices.

I am from Indonesia and a Bachelor in Business Administration (my university is not listed in MOM) with 2,5 years of Project Administration experience and 3 years of English Teacher experience.

I have been in Singapore for almost 3 months and I got more than 20++ interviews. So far, I got 3 job offers for Admin/Account Executive.

The problem is, the 3 employers applied S Pass for me and all are rejected.
My first employer applied S Pass for me and rejected in 3 days. Then he tried to apply E Pass for me and it was also rejected.

The latest one is a big international company and accepted as a Team Administrator. They even asked me to go for medical check-up and set the work date for me already. But when they applied the pass, it was rejected as well.
The company said they tried to appeal for me, but the chance is not too big.

My questions are :
1. Is is true that Admin jobs is not open for foreigners? As I got lots of job offers for this position everytime I apply. And the latest one is a really big company who offered me this job.

2. My friend said it is maybe because of the foreigner quota in MOM that caused my application were rejected. And they asked me to tried again early next year. Is it possible?

3.Or maybe the rejection has something to do with my certificate?

4. Is it true that Indonesian will not be granted a work permit for this kind of job?

5. Some said it is because of the application dates are too near. Within 1 month. Is it possible?

Your advices are kindly appreciated as I am totally depressed with this situation.

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:19 am

Administrators in Singapore are a dime a dozen. There are literally '000's of qualified Singaporeans capable of doing the job. Therefore, it makes little sense for MOM to allow these companies to hire foreigners to fill these positions.

Probably has nothing to do with your credentials but everything to do with the job itself.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SeekHelp

Post by SeekHelp » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:52 am

So not even someone from a reputable university will get approval for admin jobs? Even offered by big company?

I kept thinking it was because of my certificate problem because it is not listed in MOM. :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:56 am

Very doubtful. Look at it from the Government's POV. Why should they give Employment Passes to foreigners to do jobs that can be easily filled by locals? The citizens have to come first. Do you think Indonesia would give employment passes to Singaporeans who wanted to do the same job in Indonesia?

Forget the fact that they wouldn't make very much money. Look at the principle.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rishenv

Post by rishenv » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 4:39 pm

------
Last edited by rishenv on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeekHelp

Post by SeekHelp » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:44 pm

Hi, rishenv. Thank you for the advice.
Does it mean that you keep going in and out Spore for 2 years?

I am planning to continue my studies when I have job in SG. But as u can see, my pass are rejected several times.

Do you think it's ok for me to stay back in Indonesia while looking for the job in Spore? As you know, living cost here is not cheap and I can't afford staying here without any job. Please advise me.

I have a friend (male) now is working in Singapore. And he was graduated from SIM (SG) and started work last year as an accountant. But my other male friend who is looking for the job in SG for 5 months, also find the same problem as me, pass are rejected several times. Hope this will help.

In my case, do you think the problem occur in my certificate or the job position?

Thanks for the reply.

rishenv

Post by rishenv » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 9:44 pm

-----
Last edited by rishenv on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeekHelp

Post by SeekHelp » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:37 am

I went to MOM to ask for the reason of rejection.
Then they said the reason was because I didn't have any experience working in Singapore before.
What a weird reason! Hmm...

The company appeal for me already. I need to wait for the result.

I hope they'll approved the pass this time *praying hard*

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 3:02 am

SeekHelp wrote:I went to MOM to ask for the reason of rejection.
Then they said the reason was because I didn't have any experience working in Singapore before.
What a weird reason! Hmm...

The company appeal for me already. I need to wait for the result.

I hope they'll approved the pass this time *praying hard*
What is SO Weird about the reasoning from MOM. ? Let me decipher it for you. It means the local can do the same job and keeps the FTs quota down to the minimal.
If you aint got Nothing, you aint got Nothing.... Capisce ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!