Singapore Expats

Cost of Living

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:07 pm

Every time you respond it just confirms the sad mental picture I have of you and no doubt anybody reading this particular thread will also draw the same conclusion. Perhaps you didn’t get enough cuddles when you were a child or perhaps you are still a child. If indeed you are a grownup I bet you were bullied at school and you use this platform to vent your frustrations.

I draw this conclusion because it’s Friday night in Singapore and you’re sat there responding to my sad emails and no doubt many others rather than out and about enjoying all that Singapore has to offer, sad very sad.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, lets call it Beginning of the Weekend Syndrome. I miss a bit the FT (foreign trash) crusades but lets not complain too much. This one gets pretty close I think.

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:30 pm

My mistake I take it all back I apologise, you are the moderator or at least one. On this particular website, confirmation of my worst fears, the idiots has taken over the madhouse. If indeed I do decide to take up the offer and relocate to Singapore, if you are an example of the type of person I’m going to engage with I may have to re-consider.

Please remember I asked a simple question and you were the one that came back with the less than helpful response and then when I quoted your £800 comment in response to another user, you decided to spit the dummy. If anyone needs to take a look in the mirror, it’s you. You truly believe because you are a moderator you can say almost anything to anyone, look up the term moderator in a dictionary.

In fact to save you sometime because I know your busy responding and no doubt insulting other individuals on this website, I did a quick search:

“Moderators generally try to keep users on topic and keep the discussion thread or chat room free of personal insults and derogatory comments”

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:31 pm

Poor guy doesn't even realize he's on a forum, he thinks he's emailing us! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:39 pm

Every response just further proves my point; your collective arrogance is amazing. You just don’t get it; you create forums to help other people not to use as some type of platform to vent your collective frustrations, are you all just bored housewives. You really have lost the plot guys; I think you all need to consider what the aim of this forum actually is?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:39 pm

Bill T wrote: Please remember I asked a simple question and you were the one that came back with the less than helpful response and then when I quoted your £800 comment

Are you talking to me? I tried to help you, but couldn't do much as you'd given no information to go on.

Also do note: no one here is going to queue up to wipe your ar$e for you.

Heavens, some people.

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:42 pm

Wait on, so rather than responding in the way you did, whay didn't you just ask the for more details. Remember you jumped in on my response to the other guy.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:57 pm

Bill T wrote:Wait on, so rather than responding in the way you did, whay didn't you just ask the for more details. Remember you jumped in on my response to the other guy.
you're here to seek help, so the more details the better.

the sooner you get the hang of the system here, the better.

but once you do, you'll probably like it here. them fellas ain't bad ; )

you must realize there're tons of "i'm relocating, now what?" threads here.

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:00 pm

I appreciate that and if you go back a few responses I did actually thank you for your help. Let’s put this down to miscommunication and move on shall we?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:05 pm

Bill T wrote:Wait on, so rather than responding in the way you did, whay didn't you just ask the for more details.

Because most people who come here seeking this kind of advice, would realise that giving a bit of info on their personal circumstances and expectations was required in order for anyone to give any kind of meaningful answer. I thought my reply to you made that clear enough, in a polite way. But no, with you it just started WW3 instead.

I mean think about it. It's like posting on some US site 'Hi I Bill, I might move to NYC, I'm single, is $180k enough?'. I mean, what are people meant to say?

Also note that all the information you want is already here on this forum - if you can be bothered to look for it. Most people with the nous to relo to Singapore will do their own extensive research, before asking for help fine-tuning aspects of it. Turning up and demanding even the most basic help, is a guaranteed way to pi$$ people of here (as you have just won the gold-cup at!).

Remember you jumped in on my response to the other guy.

I don't understand your point. You mean I replied to what you wrote ZZM, when I was again trying to help you? [sigh]

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:09 pm

[quote="Bill T"]My mistake I take it all back I apologise, you are the moderator or at least one. On this particular website, confirmation of my worst fears, the idiots has taken over the madhouse. If indeed I do decide to take up the offer and relocate to Singapore, if you are an example of the type of person I’m going to engage with I may have to re-consider.

Please remember I asked a simple question and you were the one that came back with the less than helpful response and then when I quoted your £800 comment in response to another user, you decided to spit the dummy. If anyone needs to take a look in the mirror, it’s you. You truly believe because you are a moderator you can say almost anything to anyone, look up the term moderator in a dictionary.

In fact to save you sometime because I know your busy responding and no doubt insulting other individuals on this website, I did a quick search:

“Moderators generally try to keep users on topic and keep the discussion thread or chat room free of personal insults and derogatory comments”
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:28 pm

Ok, I didn’t make a demand I simply asked a question on a forum. You didn’t need to respond, you decided to answer the question. Whilst I do take on board your comments I posted a very similar question on a similar website sometime back when offered a similar position in Moscow. As then my initial question was presented to gain a high level understanding of the true cost of living in Moscow.

Obviously once I had that information I would begin a more detailed study of the pros and cons of a potential move to Singapore as I did for the Moscow experience. What I will say is the response I received from the Moscow forum was a tad more detailed based on the little information I provided.

I didn’t ask for chapter and verse nor did I seek a lonely planet rough guide to living in Singapore. You stated 800.00 but didn’t put any detail behind, how am I supposed to know that mean sharing a flat. It’s a bit like Microsoft, unless you really know what you are looking for; you can spend a great deal of time searching and come up with nothing.

All I wanted to know was:

Q: Is $180,000 a good salary in Singapore

The answer could have been as simple as:

A: Potentially yes, it all depends on how much you want to spend on rent i.e. a room in a flat share could be as little as 800 or a condo might set you back 2000 a month.

That’s how I would have answered the question, yes you did give me the above information but without the minor detail that would allow me to compare against any research I then would need to complete.

Again, can I suggest we move on?

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:37 pm

To everyone, moderator or not, to those that have genuinely offered friendly advice I appreciate and thank you and I apologise for any misunderstanding.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 11:13 pm

Bill T wrote:Ok, I didn’t make a demand I simply asked a question on a forum. You didn’t need to respond, you decided to answer the question. Whilst I do take on board your comments I posted a very similar question on a similar website sometime back when offered a similar position in Moscow. As then my initial question was presented to gain a high level understanding of the true cost of living in Moscow.

Obviously once I had that information I would begin a more detailed study of the pros and cons of a potential move to Singapore as I did for the Moscow experience. What I will say is the response I received from the Moscow forum was a tad more detailed based on the little information I provided.

I didn’t ask for chapter and verse nor did I seek a lonely planet rough guide to living in Singapore. You stated 800.00 but didn’t put any detail behind, how am I supposed to know that mean sharing a flat. It’s a bit like Microsoft, unless you really know what you are looking for; you can spend a great deal of time searching and come up with nothing.

All I wanted to know was:

Q: Is $180,000 a good salary in Singapore

The answer could have been as simple as:

A: Potentially yes, it all depends on how much you want to spend on rent i.e. a room in a flat share could be as little as 800 or a condo might set you back 2000 a month.

That’s how I would have answered the question, yes you did give me the above information but without the minor detail that would allow me to compare against any research I then would need to complete.

Again, can I suggest we move on?
Sure we can move on, but PLEASE get your facts straight. I did not say anything about rental costs. Please ensure you are addressing the correct poster.

sms

Bill T

Post by Bill T » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 11:20 pm

Again to everyone on this thread, I apologise to those individuals that offered genuine advice. I made the schoolboy error of not checking the sender’s id.