Singapore Expats

Malaysia or Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SupaRubz

Malaysia or Singapore

Post by SupaRubz » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 1:43 am

I am a senior video editor with a Masters (distinction) from a top university in the UK. Despite having this and 3 years experience, I cant seem to get a job with even decent pay, my current job pays me less than an assistant. Is Malaysia or Singapore a good country for my profession as I am thinking of moving there.
Last edited by SupaRubz on Fri, 02 Dec 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a hole in my chest!

SupaRubz

Post by SupaRubz » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 3:25 am

Sorry I meant to say CANT find the answer

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 4:58 am

Don't know much about this indsutry but I would have thought Malaysia would be a better market for you due to its huge film industry and population size itself
Another place to consider is OZ and NZ. Quite a number of good movies produced there. The Hobbits is being currently film in Wellington
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 6:41 am

A smart move would be to be hired by Universal (or similar) in the UK, and having them transfer you to Asia.

Could you manage that?

SupaRubz

Post by SupaRubz » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 5:58 pm

Oh, I didnt realize Malaysia had a thriving production scene but I guess it makes sense. I just read it in a few places the Singapore was supposed to be a decent scene for my industry. I should look into Oz or NZ but are the taxes high in those places? Its one of the reasons I want to leave the UK...

I would love to get a job at Universal studios in the UK but the employment market so over-saturated, most big companies hire in-house, I have been told this by a friend who works in Warner Bros. I just feel really angry that I was told doing a Masters degree would give me a huge advantage in the industry and would propel me into a decent position when applying for jobs, but despite me graduating with the best grade in my entire course, no potential employer gives a damn about it. I'm hoping qualifications are looked upon favourably in countries like Malaysia and Singapore?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 12:19 am

Whilst there are production companies and some large media organisations in Malaysia (e.g. Astro), Singapore is more of a hub for international broadcasting. ESPN Star Sports, HBO, Discovery Networks, Encompass (formerly Ascent Media), MTV, Disney, CNBC, Sony Pictures Television, Eurovision and Globecast all have sizeable facilities here, together with the 'domestic' operators MediaCorp, StarHub and SingTel.

Yes, in general qualifications do count in Singapore, but as in all walks of life, experience is also very high on the list. If you have 3 years' NLE experience I would think it worth a try to look for some kind of opening in Singapore. I'm on the technical side of the business myself, so I don't have a lot of contacts on the operational side, but you could probably seek out most/all of the aforementioned organisations via web seraches, LinkedIn, etc. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions (I think you need 2 more posts before you can do that).

BTW, if you get ribbbed about the 'Masters (distinction) from a top university' comment, don't take it personally - there's a long running in-joke about that amongst some of the regulars on here.

Best of luck
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 12:59 am

Once he does a little reading of the various threads here he will come to understand why. :wink:

A word of caution though to the OP, in Singapore at least every other graduate here has a masters so, for the most part, the degree & 80cents will get you a cup of coffee and not much more unless it's a very niche degree that Singapore just happens to need badly. Good luck with your quest though.

I think George Lucas has a Lucasfilms studio here in Singapore as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 8:50 am

Actually, Batam island, Indonesia, is now the home to the largest movie studio in Southeast Asia. It is called Infinite Studio and it is a gigantic building that has been constructed at Nongsa, Batam (easily visible from Nongsapura ferry terminal).

From a news rag I get from Batam:

INDONESIAN businessman and movie producer Mike Wiluan has built what are believed to be the biggest film studios in Southeast Asia at Nongsa in Batam.

Syamsul Lussa, from the Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy in Jakarta, said Infinite Studio, constructed on 10 hectares of land, would have a positive impact on the economy. “Infinite seems to be the biggest film studio in Southeast Asia and it employs many people, therefore this is very good for the economy,”

pewpewpew

Post by pewpewpew » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 3:55 pm

I don't know what kind of editing you used to do as work, but there's always ILM and DNEG in Singapore you can try.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:13 pm

Not sure whether the OP has bothered to come back and read the suggestions that have been provided. He/she could at least have acknowledged the fact that various people took the time to try to help.
Be careful what you wish for

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:20 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Not sure whether the OP has bothered to come back and read the suggestions that have been provided. He/she could at least have acknowledged the fact that various people took the time to try to help.
+1

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:34 am

The expected opening of Pinewood studios in Johor next year might throw up some opportunities for you, if you're still here.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/pinewood-studi ... 00935.html