Singapore Expats

2nd hand car

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
estelle.brown

2nd hand car

Post by estelle.brown » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 1:58 pm

Hi. I am looking for a second hand coupe. Can anyone recommend a reliable dealership/ company which does not rip off expats? :???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 4:15 pm

You also still believe in Saint Nick, the Easter Rabbit & the Toof Fairy, huh?

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

100plus

Post by 100plus » Wed, 23 Feb 2011 6:00 pm

u may want to try presto expat motoring.

Carla22

Post by Carla22 » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 6:04 pm

Hi all,

Wow, finally able to post something on the Singapore Expats Forum, Anyway, I have a bad reverse solenoid/piston/spring in my current valve body. My auto tranny has just been fixed a year ago and its working fine. Just that when I put in reverse, my car jerks and thumps. I am told its to do with the valve body not being able to control the pressure from the torque to the wheel.

I need the valve body with this part no. 24341422936 (A5S310Z).

Anyone here can tell me where the place to get a used one in Singapore? Thanks

Carla

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 6:15 pm

Carla, you are being watched.

Moderator.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:49 pm

Sorry Carla, but Singapore doesn't carry any valve body parts for Jeepneys. Unless Nak brought some over here they last trip home, that is!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 8:15 am

Now it looks is our time to buy a car as the cab and related monthly traveling expenses are close to the cost of owning a car (including the loan payments).
I've got one basic question for a start: assuming we will buy it from a dealer how bad the market is in terms of honesty and reliability of the dealers? In other words do I need to be accompanied by my own mechanic or be myself a car expert to buy something accident free that will not fall apart after few month of driving?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 1:51 am

x9200 wrote:Now it looks is our time to buy a car as the cab and related monthly traveling expenses are close to the cost of owning a car (including the loan payments).
I've got one basic question for a start: assuming we will buy it from a dealer how bad the market is in terms of honesty and reliability of the dealers? In other words do I need to be accompanied by my own mechanic or be myself a car expert to buy something accident free that will not fall apart after few month of driving?
We just bought a Nissan Sunny... Sentra in the US and elsewhere. Virtually no dealership offers a warranty. OTOH, most cars are relatively new and seem to be well taken care of.

Unless you are looking for flash-bang:

a) Stay away from Euro cars - more expensive - and if web sites are to be believed, more prone to malfunction.
b) Korean - Hyundai, KIA, are cheaper than Japanese
c) You can get a better deal than at Turf City
d) You might be able to get a better deal if you buy private but that means you arrange financing and such.

We ended up with a dealer out of east side of island, working out of shopping garage. Satisfied with price and service.

Bottom line: Figure out how many months/years of COE left. Subtract PARF rebate from asking price, divide by COE years left. Gives you your cost per year. Small cars will be around $5,000 or more.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 8:16 am

Generally we are looking for a middle size Japanese hatchback or sedan, 2007 or younger, around 1.5l. At this moment we are thinking about Honda Airwave - it is slightly bigger for this class, but some other like Toyota Vios, Corolla Altis, Honda City and the mentioned Nissan Sunny are also within the focus. I'm willing to go through a dealer to minimize the paperwork on my side (loan etc). Don't have too much time at this moment. So far I've been using

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/advsearch.php

to get an idea.

SE, could you please PM me the details of your dealer?

Edited to add: What is on such pages Is in your experience real or the car may not exist or be already sold many weeks earlier? (so similar to the property advertisement)?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 18 Feb 2012 9:53 pm

100plus wrote:u may want to try presto expat motoring.
You can make up your own mind on them, I have personally had some difficulties with them, if you wish to know more please let me know. Otherwise, I have always heard good things about them.
nutnut