Singapore Expats

6.5K Salary to Buy a car is this enough

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
ingenious

6.5K Salary to Buy a car is this enough

Post by ingenious » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 1:19 pm

Guys, given the amortization plus cost to upkeep the car, not to mention the petrol and everyhting. is 6.5K monthly salary enough? thanks, I'm single with no dependens. i'm not just used to squeezing myself in MRT or standing in BUS and finding it hard to adjust here. i wanted to buy a car.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 6.5K Salary to Buy a car is this enough

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 2:10 pm

ingenious wrote:Guys, given the amortization plus cost to upkeep the car, not to mention the petrol and everyhting. is 6.5K monthly salary enough? thanks, I'm single with no dependens. i'm not just used to squeezing myself in MRT or standing in BUS and finding it hard to adjust here. i wanted to buy a car.
oh heck, sure you can .. if you don't have other expenses

I had a company car before, and it cost me about 1000 $ a month just for using it, petrol, parking, occasional parking fines, ERP and occasional night parking when I get a bit tipsy and wisely decide to leave the car behind and collect the next day ... ah, oh, well, my residence then was a private apartment and I had free parking still .. it cost me that much .. .. go figure ..

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 2:10 pm

Depends on your requirements for a car, you'll probably not be able to afford a brand new car unless you have a little capital, but, you can likely get a small 2nd hand car for around $30K with 4-5 years left on the COE and running this will cost around $1K a month give or take.

If you drive the CTE everyday into work though, it will cost you a lot more in ERP and parking in town is horrendous... Bear this in mind.

Gothere.sg will give you these kinds of details for your regular routes etc. just plug em in with the times and it will give you ERP and parking charges.

nutnut
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 5:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ingenious wrote:Guys, given the amortization plus cost to upkeep the car, not to mention the petrol and everyhting. is 6.5K monthly salary enough? thanks, I'm single with no dependens. i'm not just used to squeezing myself in MRT or standing in BUS and finding it hard to adjust here. i wanted to buy a car.
oh heck, sure you can .. if you don't have other expenses

I had a company car before, and it cost me about 1000 $ a month just for using it, petrol, parking, occasional parking fines, ERP and occasional night parking when I get a bit tipsy and wisely decide to leave the car behind and collect the next day ... ah, oh, well, my residence then was a private apartment and I had free parking still .. it cost me that much .. .. go figure ..
I'd echo that... Same thing too. Had a company car and spent about that much a month. Oh a little bit more, with the season parking thrown in every month too (I was staying at HDB when I had that car).

If you really want to get a car, your first hurdle would be the COE. And I gave up following the rates...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 5:43 pm

the lynx wrote: I'd echo that... Same thing too. Had a company car and spent about that much a month. Oh a little bit more, with the season parking thrown in every month too (I was staying at HDB when I had that car).
Oh, for me, my then office also was free parking :D :D

with season pass for work place and HDB, good luck :)

Oh, those days, when I run over ERP without a cash card, I always pleaded guilty of forgetting and the 5 times I ran over, I got waived 3 times :D

And of course, I have also got back fines for 'improperly displayed parking coupon' from URA, pay first, write in with a photo copy of the coupon and money comes back within 2 weeks.

And oh, nowadays a lot of outsourced parking attendants are all out to catch parking offenders, unlike those days when even the traffic cops will look around and wait before punching the vehicle number, and so did the parking attendants who allowed you to punch out a coupon :)

Never now, never now .. the parking attendants are ruthless .. no kidding ..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 5:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote: I'd echo that... Same thing too. Had a company car and spent about that much a month. Oh a little bit more, with the season parking thrown in every month too (I was staying at HDB when I had that car).
Oh, for me, my then office also was free parking :D :D

with season pass for work place and HDB, good luck :)
Never had to worry about that, all in company's expense

:D

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 6:08 pm

Season pass for HDB is around $80 and depending where you work can be around the same or upwards of $400 a month in CBD.
nutnut

newsman

Post by newsman » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 1:09 pm

The PIE, ECP, CTE is always jammed. Many are caused by accidents & those in a hurry. The repairs & insurance cost will add up. Yes $6K sure can but re-consider.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 1:32 pm

newsman wrote:The PIE, ECP, CTE is always jammed. Many are caused by accidents & those in a hurry. The repairs & insurance cost will add up. Yes $6K sure can but re-consider.
You are trying to stir something, but i am not sure what

Jam ?? Did you say Jams ?? Well, if you consider PIE/ECP/CTE as jammed, well, you haven't seen jams .. I have been in Jams in other 'developed' countries where I was in the same spot for 3 hours or more. Now that is a JAM. And a travel that takes 1 hour took like 5 hours ..

I rest my case ..

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 1:56 pm

I find Singapore very easy to get around in a car, also, if you are aware how to drive and don't drive like a complete idiot then you won't have to worry too much about repairs! ;)

Traffic Jams are relative. Yes, Singapore doesn't have bad traffic jams in comparison to somewhere like Mumbai, but, it's hell on earth in comparison to some sleepy town in the Midwest of america or the north of Scotland etc etc etc.
nutnut

newsman

Post by newsman » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 2:01 pm

ecureilx wrote:
newsman wrote:The PIE, ECP, CTE is always jammed. Many are caused by accidents & those in a hurry. The repairs & insurance cost will add up. Yes $6K sure can but re-consider.

Jam ?? Did you say Jams ?? Well, if you consider PIE/ECP/CTE as jammed, well, you haven't seen jams .. I have been in Jams in other 'developed' countries where I was in the same spot for 3 hours or more. Now that is a JAM. And a travel that takes 1 hour took like 5 hours ..

I rest my case ..
I have been in a 30 mins jams with 17 mths my G'son in PIE & that feel likes 30 hrs. Do U understand JAMS !!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 2:48 pm

newsman wrote:I have been in a 30 mins jams with 17 mths my G'son in PIE & that feel likes 30 hrs. Do U understand JAMS !!
So explain to me what is a JAM ?? Please .. :)

I am a bit blur ..

newsman

Post by newsman » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 2:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
newsman wrote:I have been in a 30 mins jams with 17 mths my G'son in PIE & that feel likes 30 hrs. Do U understand JAMS !!
So explain to me what is a JAM ?? Please .. :)

I am a bit blur ..
hahaha.....U R Blur...Okie n Close.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 3:09 pm

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 3:54 pm

newsman wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

I rest my case ..
I have been in a 30 mins jams with 17 mths my G'son in PIE & that feel likes 30 hrs. Do U understand JAMS !!
I've been in a 4 hour jam on the M25 in London during mid summer with no airconditioning with a 6 month old baby and a 2 year old toddler in the back of the car, is it a competition? Cause I think I win! 30 minutes is so short, what's the problem, do you understand Jams?

Also, if you are asking a question, it is polite not to use capitals and customary to use ?'s instead of !'s

xie xie uncle.
nutnut