Singapore Expats

Running in the office?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Eibow
Regular
Regular

Running in the office?

Post by Eibow » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:36 am

I've only been working here for a couple of months, but I've noticed people (usually women) always running through the office. i don't mean just a simple, quick-paced jog, but full on sprints regardless of distance. Even from one cubicle to the next- loud, stomping sprints in heels. I don't understand. Is this a way to show productivity? It's very distracting actually, is this common?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:47 am

They work just like they travel anywhere. Always leave it till it's too late and then have to run. Last minute lulu's. It's a whole nation of them. Except in my office. They if they are always running back and forth, I'm gonna wonder why they are so inefficient that they have to keep running. I know I don't overwork them, and I doubt that they look at it as exercising.......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Eibow
Regular
Regular

Post by Eibow » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:08 am

I don't even know if it's because things are last minute. It's literally everywhere, all the time. Even people without many job duties do it all the same. But it's literally the loudest, most disturbing, flat-footed running through the walk-ways as if people are trying to make a ruckus. Maybe it is for exercise, or to get the blood flowing or something weird.

Reminds me of my favorite person I see every morning on the MRT. Probably a 45-50 year old woman, who, every single morning, engages in a full-on sprint- arms flailing, head bobbing, feet stomping (only to go about walking speed) just to get ahead of a few people in the line for the escalator, who then waits in the left side of it anyways. I will never understand...

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:34 am

Kiasu
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:40 am

richie303 wrote:Kiasu
Yes.

Now, imagine 'Yakety Sax' playing whenever you see someone running in your office.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:08 pm

nakatago wrote:
Yes.

Now, imagine 'Yakety Sax' playing whenever you see someone running in your office.
I like that song! I used to play E♭Alto Sax in a dance band (you youngsters probably don't know what a dance band is) back in the mid-60's.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Yes.

I like that song! I used to play E♭Alto Sax in a dance band (you youngsters probably don't know what a dance band is) back in the mid-60's.
I played alto in a dance band all through
my teens :-) sang, too.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:44 pm

I tend to prefer "Hal of the mountain king" or that une from Benny Hill tv show. Depending on the person running! ;)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:51 pm

I'm constantly humming the Benny hill theme in my head here.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 3:09 pm

They certainly don't run in my office....... wouldn't mind if they did, though, give my eyes some exercise and something else to focus on.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 5:14 pm

I wondered for a minute whether or not this should've been posted in the Leisure, Jokes and Rubbish section. People voluntarily moving fast in SG? I didn't know that it was possible :razz:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 5:19 pm

Sure they do. Just put up a sign saying free gif(sic!) at the end of the hall, street. Or tell 'em there are free 'Hello Kitty" dolls at McD's! Ball'o'Fire! You ain't seen nuttin' till then.

Worse that a herd of spooked wildebeest! :P

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 6:57 pm

Such behaviour is a very natural (and logical) reaction to the Parkinson Principle:
"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."
Or rather its reversal:
"If you wait until the last minute, it takes just a minute to do."

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:59 pm

nakatago wrote:
Yes.

Being only a youngster, I never realized Yakkety sax was indeed the Benny Hill tune! lol.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:57 pm

HA!

Finally, Eibow's office: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW9w2KPT7B0
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."