Singapore Expats

Relocating to SG- health insurance question

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
misss

Relocating to SG- health insurance question

Post by misss » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:10 am

My partner and I are moving to Singapore, as his company is opening a new office over there. We're trying to figure out how much health insurance will cost us, as it won't be provided by the company. Does anyone have any suggestion on any health insurers to avoid or any good ones, and are pre-existing conditions generally covered? What sort of monthly premium do they start at over there?

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:30 am

It depends upon what kind of health coverage you want.

You can purchase relatively inexpensive insurance to cover you in Singapore with options for private room, maternity, out patient, dentistry, etc. However, this covers you only in Singapore.

You could augment this insurance with an emergency travel policy which would provide for medical and hospitalization outside Singapore. Most also include evacuation if your medical needs cannot be filled in the country you are in.

Most travel policies exclude your country of origin, so if you are planning to visit home, you might not be covered. A lot of expats use an expat global health policy, for which there are many options.

I use Globalhealth, which has offices in Singapore.

http://www.chartisinsurance.com/GlobalH ... 29174.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 1:10 pm

Globalhealth (GH) is a good value for money (we've been using them for 7y already, worldwide, North America exclusive). No problems with any bigger claims but more recently (past 2-3y) they seem to get rather picky on various smaller claims. It looks a bit like they assume nobody is going to sue them for a few hundred dollars a year (probably true).
If your budget allows I would go for an insurance like Bupa but this could be 2-4x more expensive than the top plans of GH.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:15 am

Pre-existing conditions are usually not covered. I was looking for an insurance that (with of course higher premium) will accept it and the only one was Bupa, but still - it is given on case to case basis, my application was denied (despite the tons of medical tests proving that it is a light version of the xxx, well controlled etc.).

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:29 am

gravida wrote:Pre-existing conditions are usually not covered. I was looking for an insurance that (with of course higher premium) will accept it and the only one was Bupa, but still - it is given on case to case basis, my application was denied (despite the tons of medical tests proving that it is a light version of the xxx, well controlled etc.).
I've had a pre-existing condition covered with the Global Health policy mentioned above which another insurer wouldn't.

SE - I'm not sure what you mean by "inexpensive"... For non-PR's the insurance options in my mind are seriously limited and for what they cover expensive. PR's / citizens get a much better range.

misss

Post by misss » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:15 pm

Ok, I'll check out those links and Bupa too before we set off. Thank you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 1:39 pm

carteki wrote:
gravida wrote:Pre-existing conditions are usually not covered. I was looking for an insurance that (with of course higher premium) will accept it and the only one was Bupa, but still - it is given on case to case basis, my application was denied (despite the tons of medical tests proving that it is a light version of the xxx, well controlled etc.).
I've had a pre-existing condition covered with the Global Health policy mentioned above which another insurer wouldn't.

SE - I'm not sure what you mean by "inexpensive"... For non-PR's the insurance options in my mind are seriously limited and for what they cover expensive. PR's / citizens get a much better range.
Substantially less than a full expat coverage which includes repatriation to the US for major diseases.

fxman

Post by fxman » Mon, 03 Oct 2011 1:03 pm

Just get a shield plan. Very affordable. In case you convert to a Singapore PR, you can just port over your plan.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:46 pm

fxman wrote:Just get a shield plan. Very affordable. In case you convert to a Singapore PR, you can just port over your plan.
My understanding on most shield plans is that they're for Singaporeans / prs only. Also the limits (if I remember correctly) are very low, which means that when you actually need cover its unlikely you'll get fully covered.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 2:02 pm

I use Bupa International http://www.bupa-intl.com/ possibly more expensive, but good cover.
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 17 Nov 2011 6:35 am

carteki wrote:
fxman wrote:Just get a shield plan. Very affordable. In case you convert to a Singapore PR, you can just port over your plan.
My understanding on most shield plans is that they're for Singaporeans / prs only. Also the limits (if I remember correctly) are very low, which means that when you actually need cover its unlikely you'll get fully covered.
You're understanding it a bit misleading. An "integrated" shield plan can only be used by SGn/PR, as the premium is paid from Medisave (CPF funds). But the plans are also available to foreigners.

And if you look at the comparison here http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/dam/moh_w ... le%204.pdf

You will see that the limits are mostly "as charged".

Bear in mind that a Shield Plan is only hospitalisation & surgical and will not cater for all your potential medical needs.

But at around $220 for someone age 31-40 it begs the question, why *wouldn't* you get a shield plan?!?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 17 Nov 2011 9:24 am

@Curious George - thank you for that link. It is very useful :) Has changed since I was looking around.

The ONLY thing I'd mention with the shield policies are the annual limits. They are around $500k. I'd pay some more to have piece of mind around full coverage.