Singapore Expats

Living in Johor, Working in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
jdanthony77

Living in Johor, Working in Singapore

Post by jdanthony77 » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 3:27 pm

Hello, all!

I currently live in KL and am taking up employment in Singapore next year. Looking to live in Leisure Farm/Nusajaya (anyone have other recommendations?) and commute to Singapore daily.

There are a number of threads on this subject, but I have a few specific questions that I hope someone with experience (I know you're out there) can answer:
1) I am Malaysian and drive a Malaysian car. Can I drive my Malaysian car into Singapore daily if I have a Singapore employment pass?
2) My spouse is British and is currently on an employment pass in
Malaysia. Once we make the move, she will not have an EP anymore. Should she apply for a Malaysian Dependant Pass, Singapore Dependant Pass or nothing at all? She'll likely be spending a lot of time in Singapore.
3) My son (also a British citizen) will likely be studying in Singapore. What
pass should he apply for, Singapore Student, Singapore Dependant or
Malaysian Dependant?
4) Can my wife (non-work pass holder in Singapore) drive a Malaysian
car into Singapore daily?

Are there any important questions I've missed out?
The pistol now as prophet, the bullet some kind of lord and king, but pain is the only promise that this so-called savior's gonna bring

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Living in Johor, Working in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 4:36 pm

jdanthony77 wrote: 1) I am Malaysian and drive a Malaysian car. Can I drive my Malaysian car into Singapore daily if I have a Singapore employment pass?
Malaysia. Once we make the move, she will not have an EP anymore. Should she apply for a Malaysian Dependant Pass, Singapore Dependant Pass or nothing at all? She'll likely be spending a lot of time in Singapore.
3) My son (also a British citizen) will likely be studying in Singapore. What pass should he apply for, Singapore Student, Singapore Dependant or Malaysian Dependant?
Answers:
1: NO
2) Question = How will a Singapore dependant Pass allow her to stay in Malaysia ?? :roll: :roll: Ditto for 3
4) YEs, but do read up the following ..

http://www.limsimi.com/johor-bahru-news ... singapore/

jdanthony77

Post by jdanthony77 » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 4:42 pm

ecureilx wrote:
jdanthony77 wrote: 1) I am Malaysian and drive a Malaysian car. Can I drive my Malaysian car into Singapore daily if I have a Singapore employment pass?
3) My son (also a British citizen) will likely be studying in Singapore. What pass should he apply for, Singapore Student, Singapore Dependant or Malaysian Dependant?
Answers:
1: NO
2) Question = How will a Singapore dependant Pass allow her to stay in Malaysia ?? :roll: :roll: Ditto for 3

THanks for the input! But w.r.t to (1), check out this page:
http://www.lta.gov.sg/motoring_matters/ ... erview.htm
under the section "work passes"

W.r.t (2) She'll need either one (SG or MY) or none. She will be spending a lot of time in Singapore, so either one would work (I think, unless someone knows differently). I'm more concerned with the practicality, i.e. number of immigration stamps collected, etc.

Cheers!
The pistol now as prophet, the bullet some kind of lord and king, but pain is the only promise that this so-called savior's gonna bring

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 5:01 pm

jdanthony77 wrote:
THanks for the input! But w.r.t to (1), check out this page:
http://www.lta.gov.sg/motoring_matters/ ... erview.htm
under the section "work passes"

W.r.t (2) She'll need either one (SG or MY) or none. She will be spending a lot of time in Singapore, so either one would work (I think, unless someone knows differently). I'm more concerned with the practicality, i.e. number of immigration stamps collected, etc.

Cheers!
Work Pass holders - > those who do Manual job / semi skilled job in Singapore, and the same applies to MALAYSIANS only from what I know .. . and not for other nationalities, as no other nationalities are expected to be on WP and driver / ride from Malaysia

Call me dense, but I will worry about a legal residence in either country than about stamped pages .. ever heard of NFE ?? No Further Entry .. unlikely, but ICA has the right to stamp no further entry, forcing the person to get back to the country of origin.

I may be wrong though ..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 9:52 pm

Staying in JB and commuting to Singapore on daily basis is not recommended. The insane traffic jam on both links on peak hours (and many times, off-peak hours) will take hours off your daily life alone.

You wake up super early to beat the jam on your way in and then spend hours to beat the same jam on your way out. By the time you reach home in JB, you'll be too tired to do anything else except late dinner, shower and sleep. I know way too many people who do that...

The only people who would do that are those who have nothing else for life other than to earn money.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 4:21 am

ecureilx wrote:

Yes, you can drive a Malaysian car as long as you have a valid Foreign PP or valid workpass or on social visit SVP, Autopass, valid insurance, and you car has not been involved in any traffic offence in SG.If an offence has been committed, you will need to settle it before leavign SG. You cannot drive your Malaysian car if you are SG PR or a local unless certain criteria has been met. I had done that too.

These is two part,
Getting long term visa in Malaysia is easy as long as you can proof to Malalysian Immigration that she is married to you legally. You can apply at Bukit Jalil for the LTSVP or on line. If she does not hold any LTSVP , she is allowed to stay in Malaysia a maximum of 3 months under SVP.
For the SG side, once you have an EP, you can apply DP for her in SG. That you must do for her. Your SG employer can apply the EP and DP for you.

Same as your wife or you can apply student pass for the child

4) Can my wife (non-work pass holder in Singapore) drove a Malaysian

Yes, she can but not recommended in the long run or her frequency entering SG is too often as she can be suspected working illegally in SG
Answers:
1: NO (This is incorrect)
2) Question = How will a Singapore dependant Pass allow her to stay in Malaysia ?? :roll: :roll: Ditto for 3 ( Applying EP pass in Malaysia the easiest way is thru company secretary. There a number in JB. Just pay the money and you can get 3 years pass. This will reduce the filling up DE everything you enter
Malaysia.

The website , Ecurileix, link is true. I have triple nationalities and my wife is European, we had a number of times drove a Malaysian car thru Woodlands and Tuas with no issue at all. The only problem I faced is when you rent the car from KLIA. Only certain car hire company allows us to drive to Singapore. Out of these, some the rental cars have outstanding traffic summons on them. You have to be very sure that if you drive any Malaysian car, make sure no offence prior has been committed.
Proof from LTA and Police can be obtained prior rental and keep it in the car. The border control officers are oversealous. Guilty buntil proven innocent. I had many close encounters but I always came out winners
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 6:58 am

the lynx wrote:Staying in JB and commuting to Singapore on daily basis is not recommended. The insane traffic jam on both links on peak hours (and many times, off-peak hours) will take hours off your daily life alone.

You wake up super early to beat the jam on your way in and then spend hours to beat the same jam on your way out. By the time you reach home in JB, you'll be too tired to do anything else except late dinner, shower and sleep. I know way too many people who do that...

The only people who would do that are those who have nothing else for life other than to earn money.
Actually I know a few people who live in JB, Singaporeans married to Malaysians, who drive to work daily, but .. they work in Woodlands .. am yet to meet anybody who works in town ... considering the morning rush in the expressways, it is gotta make you loose your focus someday ..

MS: Thanks for clearing

For the 4, yes, that's what I was trying to imply, since doing regular visa runs one day will bite the person .. if either immigration refuses entry ....

But, I am not surprised, as I met some other people who too were more worried about the stamps in the passport than getting legal residency here ..

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:39 am

the lynx, 'Staying in JB and commuting to Singapore on daily basis is not recommended. The insane traffic jam on both links on peak hours (and many times, off-peak hours) will take hours off your daily life alone.

The only people who would do that are those who have nothing else for life other than to earn money.'

Not what I've heard from some people who are doing just that, then again, these same people probably wouldn't admit to suffering the way you say they do either. :)

Then again, refer to bolded text. Pretty obvious one does not need to move to Johor to live like that.

I'm just about to make the move to Nusajaya myself, and am about to start looking for a place in earnest next week.

Visited the Nusajaya area for the first time 2 days ago.

First impressions:

For all the buzz that's been reported and hyped up in the press (especially the Malaysian press obviously), the overall level of development is still at a very low base imo, although it does appear several project appear due for completion within the next one or two years.

Still, I was expecting more, but I'm inclined to believe that momentum is growing fairly rapidly, and some or most of the aims of the Iskandar project will be realized eventually. Hiccups expected soon though!

Leisure Farm. I didn't like it. Felt to me like the developer (Mulpha) wanted to develop something with pure luxury in mind, with grandiose ideas and concepts. An equestrian clubhouse, these guys for real?

Also seemed like they were just selling a lot of land plots for buyers to develop super luxurious properties themselves. Problem is a lot of the land appears bought by speculators who have no intention of building anything at all, so there's alot of grass growing everywhere.

And Leisure Farm simply looked to me like a lot of water (and mud) everwhere. And getting there was no fun at all.

Took a look at Horizon Hills (managed by UEM Land, but a jv with Gamuda) and liked it a lot more. Not to mention massive difference in pricing.

There the developer does not sell land, but finished properties, and the overall development feel was a lot tidier and cleaner than Leisure Farm to me. Caters to more than just the luxury segment.

Clubhouse looks decent. and maintained.

Been starting to hear stories of unpleasant neighbours as more people move in. But unpleasant neighbours? Fact of life unfortunately.

There's also East LEdang and Ledang Heights, both also under the UEM umbrella, but these are considered a notch or two above Horizon Hills so I am not considering them.

Took a look at Nusa Idaman, and some of the other 'gated' (or so claimed) developments closer to the Bukit Indah shopping area. Not so hot on them.

OP: sorry I'm not of much help in visa matters, but with regards the Malaysian-registered car issue, straight from LTA:

WORK PASSES

Any work pass holder, who is neither a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) nor a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered car and motorcycle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

a) he is the registered owner of the vehicle ;
b) he resides outside Singapore;
c) the vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more everyday ;
d)
he has a valid insurance certificate and road tax for the use of the vehicle on Singapore roads ; and
e) the vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/exit at Woodlands and Tuas checkpoints and for payment of Vehicle Entry Permit/Toll charges.

Please note that a work pass holder who is also a SPR or resident of Singapore is not allowed to drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore.

jdanthony77

Post by jdanthony77 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:12 am

@ Mad Scientist : Thank you very much for the clarification. My wife's runs across the border would be more to pick up my son from school, not so much visa runs, but I will keep your concerns in mind.

@ Teck 21 : You're dashing all my hopes! I thought some of the townhouses in Leisure Farms looked quite nice. Could you do me a favour, let me know how the house hunt turns out. My biggest challenge is finding one of these "Gated" communities that'll allow my golden retriever in.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:20 am

jdanthony77 wrote:@ Teck 21 : You're dashing all my hopes! I thought some of the townhouses in Leisure Farms looked quite nice. Could you do me a favour, let me know how the house hunt turns out. My biggest challenge is finding one of these "Gated" communities that'll allow my golden retriever in.
Some people love and swear by Leisure Farm!

Noticed your comment about their townhouses, there are hardly any for sale. They didn't build many, and almost all have been sold by now. What they are selling now is a new area of Semi-Ds and bungalows, which neither interest me, nor are within my affordability range.

Knowing how much you want to spend would probably give you a good idea of where to look.

Sure, I'll let you know, I'm counting on others who have done the same for advice as well lol.

jdanthony77

Post by jdanthony77 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:26 am

teck21 wrote:
jdanthony77 wrote:
Some people love and swear by Leisure Farm!

Noticed your comment about their townhouses, there are hardly any for sale. They didn't build many, and almost all have been sold by now. What they are selling now is a new area of Semi-Ds and bungalows, which neither interest me, nor are within my affordability range.

Knowing how much you want to spend would probably give you a good idea of where to look.

Sure, I'll let you know, I'm counting on others who have done the same for advice as well lol.
Oooh, not looking to buy, mate. Already own one property in Malaysia and that's enough. Looking to rent, actually.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:44 am

jdanthony77 wrote:@ Mad Scientist : Thank you very much for the clarification. My wife's runs across the border would be more to pick up my son from school, not so much visa runs, but I will keep your concerns in mind.
ICA and Malaysian immigration "MAY" view it as Visa runs, as your wife has no residency on either side of the border :) Tread carefully .. says me ..

jdanthony77

Post by jdanthony77 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
jdanthony77 wrote:@ Mad Scientist : Thank you very much for the clarification. My wife's runs across the border would be more to pick up my son from school, not so much visa runs, but I will keep your concerns in mind.
ICA and Malaysian immigration "MAY" view it as Visa runs, as your wife has no residency on either side of the border :) Tread carefully .. says me ..
She could get residency on either side, my question was which would be easier. Wasn't planning on doing anything illegal!

Checked with LTA. Dependent's pass means she's considered resident and can't drive her MY car in.

THis means she'll have to get the Malaysian LTVP. THe biggest inconvenience about this is, you STILL have to fill up a MY white card and get your passport stamped, and same again on the SG side.

Thanks!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 2:27 pm

jdanthony77 wrote: THis means she'll have to get the Malaysian LTVP. THe biggest inconvenience about this is, you STILL have to fill up a MY white card and get your passport stamped, and same again on the SG side.

Thanks!
not at all .. there are automated clearence, for residences of Malaysia, at the Malaysia side ...

For Malayisans at Singapore end, not sure .. as when I go out, with my Singapore residency, they don't chop anything .. :D :D

Previously, they were doing trials with for Malayisan residents/citizens, with some automated pass, which you just scan and verify the finger print, though I don't know how it works for those driving in ..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 2:58 pm

jdanthony77 wrote: Checked with LTA. Dependent's pass means she's considered resident and can't drive her MY car in.

Thanks!
Show me where does it states a DP residing overseas albeit in JB cannot drive a Malaysian Car.

You can get access card at both end but it is more for foot travellers. I am not sure about those travelling by car.
I used to have EP and Gold card SVP on Malaysia side hence I do not need to fill up forms just the stamp.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!