Singapore Expats

Somebody became more gracious

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Somebody became more gracious

Post by Brah » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 9:51 pm

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:02 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:33 pm

This is ironic as only last week someone (completely informed) was telling me what they thought of GCT as a person.

And it was far from gracious.

Eibow
Regular
Regular

Post by Eibow » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 5:06 pm

Pshhhhhh.

If that's the case, I'm glad I didn't move here earlier.

"Say thank you to someone day"???

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 6:14 pm

I have difficulty believing that things as subtle as graciousness can be instilled via government mandate.

My feeling is that society needs over time to decide for itself that such customs are beneficial, for them to be adopted. I also believe that this can only occur in socially mature societies, rather than amongst say a people who by and large were peasants 50 years ago.

Too often in SG you end up with 'spray-on' behaviour where previously it was absent, and it does not work.

Problem: Hong Kong airport ranks top for customer service?
Solution: Hire a team of hyper and animated girls to rush around at Changi thrusting baskets of sweets at people [first time it happened to me I thought I was being attacked or something!]

Problem: Asian airlines are seen as outdated and boring
Solution: Launch a new one with a 'funny' name Scoot, and announce that staff will be expected to show a lot of 'scootitude'. Radical, yawn.

And so on...

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 7:21 pm

JR8 wrote:I have difficulty believing that things as subtle as graciousness can be instilled via government mandate.

My feeling is that society needs over time to decide for itself that such customs are beneficial, for them to be adopted. I also believe that this can only occur in socially mature societies, rather than amongst say a people who by and large were peasants 50 years ago.

Too often in SG you end up with 'spray-on' behaviour where previously it was absent, and it does not work.

Problem: Hong Kong airport ranks top for customer service?
Solution: Hire a team of hyper and animated girls to rush around at Changi thrusting baskets of sweets at people [first time it happened to me I thought I was being attacked or something!]

Problem: Asian airlines are seen as outdated and boring
Solution: Launch a new one with a 'funny' name Scoot, and announce that staff will be expected to show a lot of 'scootitude'. Radical, yawn.

And so on...

Where does that leave the likes of BA & Qantas??!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 8:10 pm

BillyB wrote: Where does that leave the likes of BA & Qantas??!![/b]

Well at least they are genuinely and honestly crap and don't pretend (much) otherwise :lol:

I was thinking more of the UAE airlines which are leagues ahead in terms of service. SQ are outdated expensive crap in comparison (they've done what Virgin has done, from being the best to slipping and simply cashing in on 'past laurels')....

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 8:58 pm

JR8 wrote:

Well at least they are genuinely and honestly crap and don't pretend (much) otherwise :lol:

I was thinking more of the UAE airlines which are leagues ahead in terms of service. SQ are outdated expensive crap in comparison (they've done what Virgin has done, from being the best to slipping and simply cashing in on 'past laurels')....
Come on - Singapore Airlines are pretty good in general. Service is really good......

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 9:23 pm

BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Come on - Singapore Airlines are pretty good in general. Service is really good......
You're kidding?

I've had some shocking flights on SQ these last few years. They still run vintage 747s on some routes. Emirates is my airline of choice. To me no one comes close.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 9:48 pm

These are the articles in the SG news that make me howl with laughter. If they say it, it must be true...

I think I taxi driver thought I was insane the other day while I was listening to the "news" announcer on the radio blather on about how S'poreans weren't really being forced to live in smaller spaces in new apartments because families are smaller now. And this was headline news, not even of the "so and so said" variety. A proven fact. Really. I started laughing out loud.

Just once I'd love to hear one of the announcers stop and say: "Are you effing kidding me??"
:roll:

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:12 pm

JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:

You're kidding?

I've had some shocking flights on SQ these last few years. They still run vintage 747s on some routes. Emirates is my airline of choice. To me no one comes close.
I've always had good experiences with SQ, Emirates, Qatar, Thai etc. not much between them IMO.

I've just abandoned BA despite being close to silver and am now switching to Kris miles (I used to use BA and Air France back in the day but stopped because they were always delayed, had flight staff who made it feel like you were putting them out if you requested a coffee or drink outside of meal times, used battered old planes, and was rarely upgraded)

Eibow
Regular
Regular

Post by Eibow » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:50 pm

If we are to stick to "what works," there needs to be a government implemented "selfish-asshole" fine which anyone that lives in Singapore can impose on one another. The rules are self-explainatory.

In fact, I think this is a good law for the most of the world. The fine doesn't even need to be for money. It can be as simple as a "flick on the ear," or a "pinch on the nipple," which are about as annoying as many of the repeated every-day offenses.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:14 pm

Eibow wrote:If we are to stick to "what works," there needs to be a government implemented "selfish-asshole" fine which anyone that lives in Singapore can impose on one another. The rules are self-explainatory.

In fact, I think this is a good law for the most of the world. The fine doesn't even need to be for money. It can be as simple as a "flick on the ear," or a "pinch on the nipple," which are about as annoying as many of the repeated every-day offenses.
Two words:

Passive aggressive.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:52 am

nakatago wrote: Two words:

Passive aggressive.
The country would immediately descend into anarchy as every pent up grudge got played out, and then some!

Thanks for the laugh though :-D

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 8:22 pm

SQ service is ok these days, but KrisFlyer really sucks. If you have a chance to book your miles to a Star Alliance carrier do so and not loose your points.
BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote: Come on - Singapore Airlines are pretty good in general. Service is really good......
You're kidding?

I've always had good experiences with SQ, Emirates, Qatar, Thai etc. not much between them IMO.

I've just abandoned BA despite being close to silver and am now switching to Kris miles (I used to use BA and Air France back in the day but stopped because they were always delayed, had flight staff who made it feel like you were putting them out if you requested a coffee or drink outside of meal times, used battered old planes, and was rarely upgraded)