Singapore Expats

Need approval from ICA to give a birth in SG?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Minke

Need approval from ICA to give a birth in SG?

Post by Minke » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 8:23 am

I am Singapore PR and my wife is in Singapore on long term visit pass. She just renewed her pass for another year. She is pregnant and I was wondering that does anyone know if she needs to get a approval from ICA to give birth in Singapore? Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:02 am

If she is on a LTVP I don't think so. Unless she is coming here specifically to give birth, then she would need to get permission to stay long enough in order to accomplish that. In you wife's case, it wouldn't be necessary as she is being sponsored by you anyway.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 2:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If she is on a LTVP I don't think so. Unless she is coming here specifically to give birth, then she would need to get permission to stay long enough in order to accomplish that. In you wife's case, it wouldn't be necessary as she is being sponsored by you anyway.
And if the birth is for the sake of getting citizenship here .. then you should read on the rights of children born here .. :D :D

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 3:12 pm

SMS, I can concur with your statement as it is the same situation with my kid brother years ago.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 3:13 pm

That's not a consideration unless one of the parents has gotten citizenship BEFORE the birth. Otherwise, no go. Although there have been a few cases in the distant pass where it was possible with special permission from ICA (on a case by case basis). It's been quite a few years since that's happened.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers