Singapore Expats

Does the s pass holders can change the employer

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Vimai

Does the s pass holders can change the employer

Post by Vimai » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 9:48 pm

Hi iam an indian iam an s pass holder working in singapore for past 10days .my contract with company is for 2 yrs. But i dont like this job it was so disgusting can i go to any other jobs after 3 months pls give your ideas & suggestions help me

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:05 pm

The S pass is sponsored by the employer. Leave the employer and you lose your S pass. Find another employer, they then have to apply anew for another S pass sponsored by the new employer. There is no guarantee, however, that the new employer will be able to secure one. It's a gamble any time you leave an employer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

felicia goh

Post by felicia goh » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:14 am

No, you will lose your S pass once you change the employer.
Please think twice before you make any decision as nowadays S pass is getting harder to apply... :(
why don't you try to apply PR? get PR first then only resign la~ :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 1:00 am

felicia goh wrote:No, you will lose your S pass once you change the employer.
Please think twice before you make any decision as nowadays S pass is getting harder to apply... :(
why don't you try to apply PR? get PR first then only resign la~ :D
Been in SG 10 days, quit job, apply for PR.

Genius advice that is! lol :D

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 2:11 am

The right procedure if you want to change with minimum risk is:

1.- Apply for a new S-pass under the new company
2.- ONLY if you get the approval, get the In Principle approval letter and send your resignation to company 1
3.- Then "convert" the IPA for company 2 in a new S-Pass

Of course you should look at the details of your contract with company 1 (Notice period? Any penalty for early termination?) and inform company 2 about this, as probably you can't join immediately due to this notice period.

mccartier

Re: Does the s pass holders can change the employer

Post by mccartier » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 2:56 pm

Vimai wrote:Hi iam an indian iam an s pass holder working in singapore for past 10days .my contract with company is for 2 yrs. But i dont like this job it was so disgusting can i go to any other jobs after 3 months pls give your ideas & suggestions help me

Maybe work awhile longer and get used to it.

I believe all companies are similar.. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Does the s pass holders can change the employer

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 3:06 pm

mccartier wrote:
Vimai wrote:Hi iam an indian iam an s pass holder working in singapore for past 10days .my contract with company is for 2 yrs. But i dont like this job it was so disgusting can i go to any other jobs after 3 months pls give your ideas & suggestions help me

Maybe work awhile longer and get used to it.

I believe all companies are similar.. :)
all companies are NOT Similiar ..

depends, if you need the job you will shut up and put up with it to gain some exposure and search in the meantime

if you can afford to, then bug off and be on SVP and find a job ..

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 3:23 pm

What is so disgusting about your job? Didn't you realise that it would be like this? Can't you appeal to your employer about the issues? Can you put up with it? To get another S Pass so soon after you started the job will probably not look so good with MOM, bear that in mind, there is no guarantee that another company can get you an S Pass.

Really, if after 10 days you want to leave a job then it must be awful, but don't expect to stay in a country if you are sponsored by them!

I hope you sort this out and get it fixed!

Oh, by the way, I think you have an intermittent fault with your <SPACE> bar ;) :P :P
nutnut

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 3:47 pm

nutnut wrote:Oh, by the way, I think you have an intermittent fault with your <SPACE> bar ;) :P :P
Oh the OP is possibly firing away using a handphone / 7" screen tablet ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 3:53 pm

well, when asking serious questions, take a little more time and effort lah!
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 5:18 pm

The forum members have already given good advice regarding changing employer and the implications involved.

Personally, I'd advise you to hang on to it. Your description of your work may be personal (because you didn't share what exactly do you do so we can't really help here) but holding a S pass, I would hazard a guess that you're definitely not a construction worker or any other jobs involving manual labour (now THAT'S bad enough!) and that you are earning within the margin outlined in MOM (and that's not too bad).

Unless your company forces you to do something illegal as part of your job (which you must report to relevant authorities - MOM, police etc), working in Singapore for your case (and your ethnicity - seriously) is considered a plus point. Hang on, gain experience and use that to your advantage when your chance comes.

If you have the upper hand, try to nego with your employer. All the best.

felicia goh

Post by felicia goh » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 10:58 pm

i have a question, S Pass better or EP better?
can EP holders change the employer?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:19 pm

felicia goh wrote:i have a question, S Pass better or EP better?
can EP holders change the employer?
To put it simply, ALL foreign workers regardless of the work pass type (work permit, S pass and employment permit) are not allowed to change employer because their entry/presence in Singapore is only by sponsorship of the employer...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:43 pm

Actually just the opposite is true. S & EP holder CAN change employers, BUT. The old pass has to be canceled and there is no guarantee that the new employer will be successful in applying for a new pass. Just because you got it once, does not necessarily mean you will get it again, as all new data is being submitted. Each employer has to justify to MOM WHY they need to hire a foreigner.

So the short story is, do you feel lucky. If so, go for it. But remember, if you fail, you old company isn't going to do you any favours by taking you back. And, even if they wanted to, they might not have the quota necessary to be able to.

It's your gamble in a tight game.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers