Singapore Expats

PR Renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rockys_2011

PR Renewal

Post by rockys_2011 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 2:42 am

PR renewal:

Im 27 years old and I've lived in singapore for over 10 years. i make an above average salary and been a singapore PR for around 6 years. I have another 4 years for my PR renewal.
Now, i have a new job offer to move overseas that I've taken up. I will be away for 2-3 years. During this time,
i will be making around 300-400 voluntary contribution towards my CPF, however, will not be paying taxes in Singapore.

Now i would like to know if i will i have any problems in renewing my PR the next time in 2016?

Regards,
Rocky.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 3:30 am

Why are you posting under two user names?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: PR Renewal

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 4:22 am

rockys_2011 wrote:PR renewal:

Im 27 years old and I've lived in singapore for over 10 years. i make an above average salary and been a singapore PR for around 6 years. I have another 4 years for my PR renewal.
Now, i have a new job offer to move overseas that I've taken up. I will be away for 2-3 years. During this time,
i will be making around 300-400 voluntary contribution towards my CPF, however, will not be paying taxes in Singapore.

Now i would like to know if i will i have any problems in renewing my PR the next time in 2016?

As long as you are paying SG taxes in SG and will be going overseas by your local company, your PR renewal will be a breeze.CPF contribution does not make your PR renewal a breeze as it does not add to the Gahmen coffers. You have to submit the last 3 years of your income tax return prior renewal.
I know what you are planning to do and you want to have the best of alot of worlds. Rocky or should I say johnmapel123
Damn it you guys from the sub continent really abuse your PR big time. You guys really make the next guy wanting to be SG PR a VERY BAD NAME !!

Regards,
Rocky.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PR Renewal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:54 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Damn it you guys from the sub continent really abuse your PR big time. You guys really make the next guy wanting to be SG PR a VERY BAD NAME !!
Cool down chief .. my gut feeling says said OP is probably from a SEA country .. :) :)

of course, those from subcontinent have this major habit of - previously, coming to Singapore before disappearing in US, and now, coming here, getting PR and then evaporating to OZ land or UK- with the rational that they want to keep multiple options open .. and when a genuine guy applies, ICA looks at him with tinted eyes ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 1:25 pm

The fact that he is marrying an Indian girl, pretty much seals it, don't it. See his other post using a different nick.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic83345.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 2:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The fact that he is marrying an Indian girl, pretty much seals it, don't it. See his other post using a different nick.

Ouch ....

And attempts to use names like John/Rocky brought no joy I guess :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 2:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The fact that he is marrying an Indian girl, pretty much seals it, don't it. See his other post using a different nick.

Ouch ....

And attempts to use names like John/Rocky brought no joy I guess :D
Oh how many John's and Robert's I banned because they were s#i*%6ng all over the boards with their copypasta as they sit in some internet cafe from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan or China...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

johnmapel123

RE: PR Renewal

Post by johnmapel123 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 6:21 pm

Hi Scientist,

Thank you for the swift response. But situation is different and complicated.
Please see below:

As long as you are paying SG taxes in SG and will be going overseas by your local company, your PR renewal will be a breeze.CPF contribution does not make your PR renewal a breeze as it does not add to the Gahmen coffers. You have to submit the last 3 years of your income tax return prior renewal.
I know what you are planning to do and you want to have the best of alot of worlds. Rocky or should I say johnmapel123
Damn it you guys from the sub continent really abuse your PR big time. You guys really make the next guy wanting to be SG PR a VERY BAD NAME !!

I would be working for an overseas company, stationed outside in India again. My salary would be credited in Singapore. So technically i don't qualify for local taxes here. So if personal CPF contribution doesn't do the trick, should i pay taxes when i don't even qualify? Kindly advice mate.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 6:25 pm

Why are you posting under two user names?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 8:02 pm

He's not. I locked him out of the rocky one. Rocky's down for the count! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:04 pm

Damn, that must have been a blow

:cool:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:10 pm

The answer is simple:
- If you live (and work) in Singapore, you are resident (potentially permanent resident) and liable to pay tax.
- If you don't live and work here, your are not.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: RE: PR Renewal

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 3:02 am

johnmapel123 wrote:Hi Scientist,

I would be working for an overseas company, stationed outside in India again. My salary would be credited in Singapore. So technically i don't qualify for local taxes here. So if personal CPF contribution doesn't do the trick, should i pay taxes when i don't even qualify? Kindly advice mate.
This is incorrect. You have to insist that your local employer pays you in SG. It does not matter if you are on oversease stint for donkey years. As long as your local employer pays you here and you receive your income tax assessment here, YOU QUALIFY. The only reason I can think of why your local employer not wanting to pay you here is they do not want to contribute their portion to CPF and you are on overseas contract work. Your employer pays you in SG, you got tax. So does your employer. They contribute CPF , so do you. Gahmen very happy . You get renewal PR. ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 5:40 am

It's a rare day when MS is wrong and I know better! So here goes:

Income from work overseas is NOT taxable in Singapore, even if received here.

I had the same situation twice before, when I was seconded to Indonesia and Taiwan - I did not pay taxes in Singapore although my salary was paid in Singapore in both cases (and CPF was paid, too).

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 6:18 am

Yes income from overseas is NOT taxable but read the bolded ones by IRAS

Overseas employment

If you are contracted to be based overseas to render your full services outside Singapore, you are not liable to tax in Singapore as the income is sourced outside Singapore. It does not matter where and how you are being paid. Your employer will not need to prepare the Form IR8A for you to file your tax in Singapore. If you work in Singapore, the income attributable to services rendered in Singapore is taxable in Singapore unless the employment is exercised for not more than 60 days in a calendar year. For employment of 61 to 182 days in Singapore, you will be taxed at a flat rate of 15% or resident rates, whichever gives a higher tax and no personal reliefs would be granted. Your employer will have to seek tax clearance when you cease employment in Singapore.
Overseas income

Generally, overseas income received in Singapore on or after 1 Jan 2004 is not taxable. These include overseas income paid into a Singapore bank account.

You do not need to declare overseas income that is not taxable.
When is overseas income taxable

Overseas income is taxable in Singapore if...

It is received in Singapore through partnerships in Singapore.
Your overseas employment is incidental to your Singapore employment. That is, as part of your work here, you need to travel overseas.
Your overseas employment income is for services rendered in Singapore.
You are employed outside Singapore on behalf of Government of Singapore.
You work in Singapore for a foreign employer.