Singapore Expats

Exiting Singapore

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Junoesque

Exiting Singapore

Post by Junoesque » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:35 pm

If one were exiting Singapore in the ideal scenario, one would pay the tax liability & outstanding credit card bills. what's the worst that can happen if you donot do so? ie situation is less than the ideal?

can the tax liability be settled in phases after exit through legal arrangement?

can an arrangement be made to pay for the credit cards monthly after a lag of 3 months, while based from the other country?

also, can you pull out your srs money?

if anybody knows of anything that might help, please post - right or wrong; good or bad.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 5:21 am

Banks can and will engage international collection agencies to get what is due to them (plus the outrageous fees of those agencies).
Your employer is obliged to withhold the last month's salary, settle your tax bill from that and then return the remainder to you. Thus it is difficult to leave Singapore with a tax liability - basically only possible if you abscond without notice (which is in itself illegal) or if the liability is greater than a month salary. But if you manage to, you can be sure they'll catch you the next time you set foot onto Singapore soil (and you can forget about ever living here again). I am not sure if the government also uses collection agencies, but I wouldn't be surprized if they do.
It is not a good idea to break the rules in Singapore!

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:36 pm

I know of a chap who left the country a number of years ago owing some tax, he flew back in to Singapore just recently to collect his laptop and do HR processes for his new assignment in Vietnam.

Didn't even get past ICA - He's currently in Changi awaiting trial.

Don't mess with the Singapore Government, Banks may be more lenient, but you'd be daft not to arrange something with the Government for your tax.
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

Junoesque

Post by Junoesque » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:52 pm

Is there a way to make arrangements to pay tax in a deferred scheme with the Singapore government after exiting? i want to pay my dues but don't have all of it now.

Junoesque

Post by Junoesque » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:57 pm

whats the long & short of leaving a rental lease contract 8 months early?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 1:33 pm

Junoesque wrote:Is there a way to make arrangements to pay tax in a deferred scheme with the Singapore government after exiting? i want to pay my dues but don't have all of it now.
GIRO
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 1:42 pm

Nope, not GIRO. Not if you have filed tax clearance. All taxes have to be paid in full before you will be allowed to exit the country. Unless you did a runner. In that case, you would never be allow to enter Singapore again, and even if you try coming through transit, you stand a good chance of being picked up. And rightly so because you give the rest of us a bad name. No damn wonder the locals hate us. :mad:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 2:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nope, not GIRO. Not if you have filed tax clearance. All taxes have to be paid in full before you will be allowed to exit the country. Unless you did a runner. In that case, you would never be allow to enter Singapore again, and even if you try coming through transit, you stand a good chance of being picked up. And rightly so because you give the rest of us a bad name. No damn wonder the locals hate us. :mad:
that's interesting...employers hold your last paycheck for the taxes, right?

anyway, looks like OP's SOL...

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:05 pm

Hey Junoesque:
Based on your postings it seems you are planning something highly questionable:
- leave the country without paying your taxes
- default on your credit card bills
- break your apartment lease contract
All these things are illegal and will haunt you later, apart from the abovementioned fact that people like you contribute to the bad reputation foreigners have here.
Please reconsider your plans!
If all else fails, you can take a bank loan (here or in your home country) to pay your dues - then you deal with only one debtor (the bank), which makes things easier and (as long as you pay back) legal.

Junoesque

Post by Junoesque » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 9:11 am

hey folks. while wall street's talking about corporate greed, am seeing the other face of it - consumer greed.

have decided will stick it out here. if i do need to exit, it will be in the proper way ie after clearing taxes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:13 am

I, for one, am glad to hear it. 8-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:43 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I, for one, am glad to hear it. 8-)
Just to be sure, you're talking about clearing taxes not consumer greed, right? :P