Singapore Expats

Any info on true Live Work type of residence? run machines?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Any info on true Live Work type of residence? run machines?

Post by Hidy Ho » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 2:33 pm

My ideal place is a "true" live/work residence for a single person.

About 1000 sq. ft of empty place big enough for 9 ft. pool table and a couple of metal lathes around to repair and make pool cues (strictly for fun/hobby). Would love to be able to turn the machine on anytime I like but can wait until weekend (have day job that pays for my hobby). Need a small bathroom to take a shower and read magazines. Small loft for sleeping quarter would be major plus.

It's a bout location, location, location so I don't need something nice or facy but might need aircons. I don't need a kitchen as I don't cook so it would be nice to have a place near local food joints. I'd need a fridge and a microwave. Fast internet connection and cable TV would also be nice. Probably wll end up using part-time cleaning service and laundry shop.

Dream would be this place is near MRT or easy commute to Paya Lebar.

Am I dreaming or is it possible to find such a place in Singapore?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 3:23 pm

How much money you got?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Eibow
Regular
Regular

Post by Eibow » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 3:39 pm

nakatago wrote:How much money you got?
Haha exactly. While this apartment sounds like a small request, in Singapore that sounds comparible to a million dollar house. I wish you luck, the area required by a nice pool table is bigger than most peoples entire living space.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 4:17 pm

Eibow wrote:
nakatago wrote:How much money you got?
Haha exactly. While this apartment sounds like a small request, in Singapore that sounds comparible to a million dollar house. I wish you luck, the area required by a nice pool table is bigger than most peoples entire living space.
A 9' table requires 265ft2 (in the right dimension ratio of course)... 18'3"*14'6"

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 9:03 pm

not sure what your budget is - but SOHO @ Central is a proper live/work studio - above an MRT.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 4:59 am

cbavasi wrote:not sure what your budget is - but SOHO @ Central is a proper live/work studio - above an MRT.
Thank you for the reply .. I've looked at online information on this place and will see it in person in a week or so when I'm out there.

I also found information on another place called The Modules on Joo Chiat Road (D15) that seems pretty cool. Both place, what's currently available and is affordable to me are small so my dream of having a pool table is probably not realistic. That should be OK as there are a bunch of pool halls in Singapore. I guess I will find out whether anyone living there actually use the place as live/work studio with machinery.

My budget is up to 4K for a right place.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 4:19 pm

You can probably find a place in Paya Lebar for that amount. My brother in law just rented his 3 storey house, landed property with marble floors out for that much and was happy, two pool tables would easy fit in the living area.

Look around Paya Lebar crescent, Jalan Locum area MRT at Bartley Rd, 6 to 8 minutes using KPE to Suntec off peak. anywhere in this area is relatively cheap. I had 1800 sq ft for 800$ in 2004 without kitchen units. Though I built my own. Though Landed property appears to be cheaper in this area for Singaporeans, though expats will normally have the price jacked up. Stick to your budget and I'm pretty sure you can find a 2 storey house for less than 4K, though it would have to be at least 20 years old.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:40 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:
cbavasi wrote:not sure what your budget is - but SOHO @ Central is a proper live/work studio - above an MRT.
Thank you for the reply .. I've looked at online information on this place and will see it in person in a week or so when I'm out there.

I also found information on another place called The Modules on Joo Chiat Road (D15) that seems pretty cool. Both place, what's currently available and is affordable to me are small so my dream of having a pool table is probably not realistic. That should be OK as there are a bunch of pool halls in Singapore. I guess I will find out whether anyone living there actually use the place as live/work studio with machinery.

My budget is up to 4K for a right place.
If you live on Joo Chiat, I suspect there will be pool at one of the bars nearby. Vietnamese racking girls complimentary.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:05 pm

Any more info on live/work studios in Singapore? Anyone knows any industry artists and where they live/work?

Might have to implement plan B ... get a small cheap place in Singapore and then run over to my former 'hood (BKK) over the weekend. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:19 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:Any more info on live/work studios in Singapore? Anyone knows any industry artists and where they live/work?
Have you been to Singapore ???

Singapore doesn't have such enclaves or ghettos ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:25 pm

They used to. Seletar Air Base has a pretty well known one. But I believe most were demolished during the lengthening of the runway for the AirTropolis. These were old Black & White units. I know. I lived there for 15 years! But back then it was a rather ulu place though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 4:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Have you been to Singapore ???

Singapore doesn't have such enclaves or ghettos ..
Yes I have.

I was based in Singapore for about a year 2000-2001. But I was living in Sheraton on Scotts Road during week days and BKK on the weekend and was often traveling to Europe, other parts of Asia and back to USA on the project.

So, admittedly, I don't know much about Singapore and have not have seen/know every 'hood like yourself.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 4:20 pm

ksl wrote:You can probably find a place in Paya Lebar for that amount. My brother in law just rented his 3 storey house, landed property with marble floors out for that much and was happy, two pool tables would easy fit in the living area.

Look around Paya Lebar crescent, Jalan Locum area MRT at Bartley Rd, 6 to 8 minutes using KPE to Suntec off peak. anywhere in this area is relatively cheap. I had 1800 sq ft for 800$ in 2004 without kitchen units. Though I built my own. Though Landed property appears to be cheaper in this area for Singaporeans, though expats will normally have the price jacked up. Stick to your budget and I'm pretty sure you can find a 2 storey house for less than 4K, though it would have to be at least 20 years old.
Thank you for your thoughtful information. I've had a look at some landed properties online and you are right .. it's very possible for me to get the layout and sq footable I desire and am contemplating it. It seems like many landed property comes minimally furnished, and I'm OK with that .. I can get whatever I need for myself (bed, couch and TV).

Only negative thing I can think of is ... that I'm a single person. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be leaving the property empty while I'm working. I don't think I will be comfortable having a live-in maid (yes, I've read threads about the difficulties for a single person to have a live-in maid, anyway) and not really open to having roommates either.

I'm open to hearing some thoughts on security concerns landed property vs. condos/apts (no I have not done search on this topc .... yet).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:00 am

Hidy Ho wrote: I'm open to hearing some thoughts on security concerns landed property vs. condos/apts (no I have not done search on this topc .... yet).
Except during the height of the asian economic crisis, when it was quite normal to hear of robberies every other week, though it was mostly some asian neighbour getting caught eventually for stealing minor stuff, oh, I had a break in into my car, and my cash card was stolen, though the culprit, as normal,w as caught within the day .. Singapore is virtually crime free ..

And unless you are inviting strangers or so, or hold those 'artisitc' parties .. you should have no worries :D :D

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 4:39 pm

You would be looking for a work loft at Wessex Estate:

http://www.jtc.gov.sg/Product/Housing/W ... asing.aspx

Good luck finding one and meeting the criteria ;)