Singapore Expats

Advice for Experienced I.T. Business Analyst

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:00 pm

generalsu wrote:I haven't met any Africans at any workplace in SG, so I have no experience with them, but then again, don't let race and looks bother you. Concentrate on your skill sets relevant to the job during interviews and speak with passion. If they reject you because of your race/looks, then it's their problem not yours cuz you know you belong in the top 5% tier!
Will the kind general be good to replace "african" with Afro-American ? And show some respect to YankStuckinSuiss ?

And would the brave general be kind enough to give us an idea of how many companies he has worked here, or what kind of job was it - customer facing - with meeting different corporate customers, or cooped up in the mail room with no chance to see how the rest of the country looks like ??

I am going on a limb and gonna say you didn't meet any clients ..

I did, and I met enough and more of afro-americans, and also a lot of others from the rest of the world, including South Africa (heck, my monthly beer buddy is a South African) and more ..

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:06 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:restrictive for a non-EU (Shengen zone) person to get a work permit. VERY. If you are from an EU country you can come and go out of here as you please (almost)...Switzerland is not in the Eu but they have a treaty for "freedom of movement/labor".

I've only sent cv's to headhunters/recruiters so far. Only one contacted me back for a 2 month temp position. I have not applied directly to any companies yet. I figured it might be better to actually go there and do this, it helps to be "in the country" with a local number, I think.
Yank, so you're not in SG yet? Well that'll be tough for the job hunt. If you are seriously about looking for a job in SG, you can't just deal with the headhunters. You need to contact individual companies directly! Headhunters don't work for you, they work with employers, because they are the ones paying them. I never wait for headhunters to respond, cuz it's useless. Besides, they've got plenty more people looking for jobs, you ain't the only one.

As for room and food, it depends on your budget, but I would recommend the tourist backpacker hostels. That's where my ex European girlfriend lived when she came to SG for job hunting. The rates are between $20 to $70, ranging from shared dormitory to a private bedroom with queen size bed.

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
generalsu wrote:[ ....
You are quite entertaining.

So you are saying you need Mandarin or NO ??? I am confused .. my Lord ..

Anyway, go on ... I am sure you gonna fire more missile to dodge my words

have fun
Yeah, actually that's where your mind is limited. Sorry to say.

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
generalsu wrote:I haven't met any Africans at any workplace in SG, so I have no experience with them, but then again, don't let race and looks bother you. Concentrate on your skill sets relevant to the job during interviews and speak with passion. If they reject you because of your race/looks, then it's their problem not yours cuz you know you belong in the top 5% tier!
Will the kind general be good to replace "african" with Afro-American ? And show some respect to YankStuckinSuiss ?

And would the brave general be kind enough to give us an idea of how many companies he has worked here, or what kind of job was it - customer facing - with meeting different corporate customers, or cooped up in the mail room with no chance to see how the rest of the country looks like ??

I am going on a limb and gonna say you didn't meet any clients ..

I did, and I met enough and more of afro-americans, and also a lot of others from the rest of the world, including South Africa (heck, my monthly beer buddy is a South African) and more ..
I rather not waste my time on you.

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:14 pm

fellows...calm down. :-)

Yes I was also looking at this site...

http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/ ... hp/cat/122

Seemed to have good rooms for rent...but I can also look into hostels.

As far as job hunting...if I come in November that is probably not a good time to start looking...

Maybe in January?

I know Chinese New Year is at the end of the month, but...
Last edited by YankStuckinSuiss on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:15 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:fellows...calm down. :-)

I am calm, I just don't know what's wrong with B.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:16 pm

generalsu wrote:I rather not waste my time on you.
Thanks for that vote of confidence ....

You better stop putting your foot in YOUR MOUTH and be good enough to show some respect to YankStuckinSuiss ...

No, I am not the mod, other than you having called me a member of the Bullying Trio .. I am nobody, so I can't do nothing ..

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:
generalsu wrote:I rather not waste my time on you.
Thanks for that vote of confidence ....

You better stop putting your foot in YOUR MOUTH and be good enough to show some respect to YankStuckinSuiss ...

No, I am not the mod, other than you having called me a member of the Bullying Trio .. I am nobody, so I can't do nothing ..
Haha, man you are really something B. You get pissed off for no reason. You must be a real bitter person, bullied in high school and now taking revenge hiding behind a computer attacking users in this forum. Come on B, stop being a coward.

I am inclined to think something is wrong with B's body parts, LOL!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:29 pm

tic.....toc.....tic......toc........

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:36 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:fellows...calm down. :-)

As far as job hunting...if I come in November that is probably not a good time to start looking...

Maybe in January?

I know Chinese New Year is at the end of the month, but...
Depending on what kind of an apartment it is, you need to make sure you are legally allowed to rent there. From what I know, foreigners under Social Visit Pass are not allowed to stay in HDBs. I am not sure about private properties, but to be on the safe side, hostels definitely do cater to social visit pass holders.

Enlighten me a little, why would November not be a good time to start job hunting in SG? You are in IT aren't you? The IT industry is actively seeking talents all year round.
Last edited by generalsu on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 9:43 pm

generalsu wrote: Haha, man you are really something B. You get pissed off for no reason. You must be a real bitter person, bullied in high school and now taking revenge hiding behind a computer attacking users in this forum. Come on B, stop being a coward.

I am inclined to think something is wrong with B's body parts, LOL!
I dunno why you keep calling me B (if you are referring to me .. )

SMS: Don't worry .. I am out of General's hair ..

General: you have the floor :D :D Don't stop please :D :D

SMS: does the bold faced text sound familiar ?? :D :D No love lost ..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:58 pm

generalsu wrote:on the safe side, hostels definitely do cater to social visit pass holders.

Enlighten me a little, why would November not be a good time to start job hunting in SG? You are in IT aren't you? The IT industry is actively seeking talents all year round.
Frankly, as an HR Manager of a 200+ staff SME here, I can tell you why November through January are NOT good times to actively start a job search in Singapore. Year end bonuses. Most in Singapore get bonuses of at least one of two types and in a lot of cases both. The first is the 13th month bonus or what is generally called the AWS (Annual Wage Supplement). This is a fixed bonus of a full month's salary (hence 13th month). This is actually a remnant of the days when people were paid every 4 weeks. When they went to once a month payrolls, they lost a month's pay (in theory only). All the employers did was recalculate the salary so that they got paid the same 4 weekly salary on a monthly basis but it was equalized at the end of the year with the 13th month bonus.

Additionally, lots of employers pay performance bonuses, longevity bonuses, etc. They are all usually paid after the end of the year, provided the employee remains employed till the end of the year or until the bonuses are paid (in good years this could be cumulative of 3 or 4 months salary or even more). As you noted, the country is predominately Chinese, so therefore bonuses are usually paid during the week prior to the Chinese New Year. Therefore, most employees are loath to forgo that kind of money to shift to a new position during that time of year.

Ideally, it's better to start your job search in earnest (physically present in Singapore) two weeks after the close of the CYN celebrations when most that are planning on leaving, turn in their notices.

I'm not sure how long you have been here, but you should have realized that fact. Oh, I've spent my time as a headhunter here as well. Still do but only internationally now, not in Singapore, nor will I place Singaporeans overseas unless they've already worked overseas before.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:04 pm

generalsu, you were doing fine almost all day until this evening. Your reference to body parts was definitely out of line.

A word of advice here will keep you healthy here. You would do well to learn to play the ball instead of playing the player. If you cannot do that, you will be history in short order. This I will guarantee.

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:generalsu, you were doing fine almost all day until this evening. Your reference to body parts was definitely out of line.

A word of advice here will keep you healthy here. You would do well to learn to play the ball instead of playing the player. If you cannot do that, you will be history in short order. This I will guarantee.

LOL, If you think I am out of line, then go ahead make me history, especially with the bullying trio playing power tripping games. I ain't gonna suck up and kiss your butt for no reason. You're the one out of line thinking you can tell me what to do.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:20 pm

Pull the plug, SMS.