Singapore Expats

Adult studying in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
rjh73

Adult studying in Singapore

Post by rjh73 » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:08 pm

I have recently moved to Singapore and am hoping my partner will follow out in the ealy part of next year.

We have considered the options available to us and have been looking at job opportunities (all seem to pay very low for max hours) but also the possiblity of him re-training in a completely new field. However we seem to be finding hurdles each route we approach.

Can anyne offer some advice on studying full time in Singapore, either on H&S diploma's or law or other (happy to look into all possibilities). We found several courses but today hit a hurdle when we discovered a logistics diploma (a field he currently works in) is approx SGD40K, an outgoing we just don't have.

Any info or guidance will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

conversant
Regular
Regular

Consider this possibility, if you would...

Post by conversant » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 3:29 am

Kaplan University offers an MBA affiliated with Murdoch University in Australia for SGD ~20k. Just saved you 50%! :D

Of course, the public universities would have bon marche courses as well. Look into NUS, NTU, and SMU.

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 3:00 pm

Which country are you citizens of? You may be able to get student loans from your home country and do a course by distance education. Then you won't need to have the cash upfront.

Also what level of completed qualification does he have currently?

Some local universities will give you a cheaper price if you commit to a bond to stay on in Singapore and work.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 3:17 pm

ausinsg wrote:Which country are you citizens of? You may be able to get student loans from your home country and do a course by distance education. Then you won't need to have the cash upfront.

Also what level of completed qualification does he have currently?

Some local universities will give you a cheaper price if you commit to a bond to stay on in Singapore and work.
Distance learning, elearning and part time courses don't give up Student pass here ..

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:50 pm

ecureilx wrote: Distance learning, elearning and part time courses don't give up Student pass here ..
Very true, and it is important for them to note. But if they are from a country which recognises them having a civil union, then he can be on a LTSVP here, and do the more affordable study.

The trade off is do they need a visa for him? If that is not an issue, and it is more about cost of upgrading his education, then this is an option.

Or see if the working spouse can get a local education loan from a bank to pay for his studies at a local poly/uni/private college.

princess18

Re: Adult studying in Singapore

Post by princess18 » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 1:10 pm

rjh73 wrote:I have recently moved to Singapore and am hoping my partner will follow out in the ealy part of next year.

We have considered the options available to us and have been looking at job opportunities (all seem to pay very low for max hours) but also the possiblity of him re-training in a completely new field. However we seem to be finding hurdles each route we approach.

Can anyne offer some advice on studying full time in Singapore, either on H&S diploma's or law or other (happy to look into all possibilities). We found several courses but today hit a hurdle when we discovered a logistics diploma (a field he currently works in) is approx SGD40K, an outgoing we just don't have.

Thanks
Hello, are u still looking for a good education?
I will highly recommend this type of study for a UK qualification!
what type of course you would like to take?
thanks! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 1:13 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc.... :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers