Singapore Expats

How long to stay in Singapore?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Mino

How long to stay in Singapore?

Post by Mino » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:23 pm

Hi all, while i was searching for the answers i came by this forum. I wish to ask if just leaving Singapore for 1 day and if i come back to Singapore will i get 30days again? I have no time to apply for E-xtend because the next day is already 30 days... I have emergency thing with my family members. Please help, I need answer, don't wish to break any law. Million thanks for your reply!
:cry:

Mr Tan
Regular
Regular

re

Post by Mr Tan » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:33 pm

some people try to cross the border for 1 day and back to get another 30 days extention , u will likely to be asked for questioning and the verdict is subjective. u might not be able to reenter into singapore after so

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

30 days ?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:38 pm

whether you get 30 days, if you come back in a day, depends whether youa re a male, female, country of origin, how long you stayed here before .. etc. etc

And if you stay for more than 1 day, there is a chance that ICA may give you 30 days .. ICA's decision is final, and you can't fight ..

In any case, since you say it is end of the current visa, what choice do you have ? :( :( you got to leave right ?

Mino

Post by Mino » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:39 pm

So you mean i might not be able to come to Singapore anymore if i cross the border? So how long must I stay at my own country before coming back to Singapore again? Or can i go other country first? Please reply Thanks a lot. :cry:

Mino

Re: 30 days ?

Post by Mino » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:whether you get 30 days, if you come back in a day, depends whether youa re a male, female, country of origin, how long you stayed here before .. etc. etc

And if you stay for more than 1 day, there is a chance that ICA may give you 30 days .. ICA's decision is final, and you can't fight ..

In any case, since you say it is end of the current visa, what choice do you have ? :( :( you got to leave right ?

I am a Pinoy I have been studying here but now no more study pass I am on visa only. I plan to just go to KL and come back here. So you mean is depends on 'luck' to get the 30days?...
Last edited by Mino on Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:50 pm

Mino wrote:So you mean is depends on 'luck' to get the 30days?...
From what I know, YES

Mino

Post by Mino » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
From what I know, YES
What if i already stay over 60days? but got leave Singapore once, I have to go back to my country?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:59 pm

Mino wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
From what I know, YES
What if i already stay over 60days? but got leave Singapore once, I have to go back to my country?
You mean you already did an online extension ?

Mino

Post by Mino » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:06 pm

No I didnt. I just wish to know how long can I stay in total before i need to go back to own country.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:11 pm

Mino wrote:No I didnt. I just wish to know how long can I stay in total before i need to go back to own country.
"What if i already stay over 60days? but got leave Singapore once, I have to go back to my country?"

have you been here for 60 days already, as your previous post above ?

Only ICA has the decision, and, you have to chance it ..

Very unlikely they will refuse you, especially since you have been here on Student Pass, but .. things can happen.

Are you a male or female ?

Mino

Post by Mino » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:13 pm

I am a male, but does that really matters?

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 3:36 am

It is usually better to leave the country for at least 5 days before returning, or do a trip back to your own country. They are the best ways...though not a guarantee, of getting the longest SVP for your passport.

What can count against you is your travel history. You might get 30 days this time, but the next time you leave and try to re-enter the country, the immigration office, might say you have spent too much time here without returning to your own country. It happened to me, thankfully I was killing time until I could collect my EP, so he let me back in to sort it all out.

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 5:14 am

Mino wrote:I am a male, but does that really matters?
I don't think it matters whether you are male or female, but then again, I do not know the inner workings of the ICA, so they could be racial and gender profiling you. Most SEA countries are allowed 30 days upon entry and some Asian and western countries are allowed 90 days visa free. That being said, of course everything is on a individual case by case basis. All departures and arrivals are stamped on your passport by the ICA, so they know how many times you've been in and out.

If you stay over 60 days and you are only allowed 30 days, then you might be charged for overstaying. You could appeal to the officer at the checkpoint with good reason. Most likely you gotta pay a fine.

As for gaining lawful entry to SG with 30 days again, it's always best to go back to your country of citizenship or a country where you have permanent residence status. Stay there for more than 5 days and you should be allowed in to SG for another 30 days. Just make sure you fill out the D/E card for 30 days, otherwise the ICA officer will become suspicious and do a thorough check on you.
'
Unless of course, you have an IPA or AIP official letter from MOM, then you can use that to show the officer and it's usually a smooth ride from there, at least it was for me.