Singapore Expats

Christians closer to Islam than Mormonism?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Christians closer to Islam than Mormonism?

Post by boffenl » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 4:56 pm

A colleague just said that Christians and Muslims share more in terms of faith and historical teachings than Christians and Mormons. I'd never thought of it in those terms.

Anybody have a sense since this might be a bigger issue in the US presidential racce with two Mormon's running.

nakatago

Re: Christians closer to Islam than Mormonism?

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 4:59 pm

boffenl wrote:Anybody have a sense since this might be a bigger issue in the US presidential racce with two Mormon's running.
I have doubts about Huntsman's chances. And I think they're bringing up Mormonism just to bring down Romney.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 6:14 pm

I'm sure that's the only reason to bring up anyone's faith--if they're not a Christian. Seems that rabble has infected SG too. Never heard anyone talk about Mormonism much here, I wonder what the churches are talking about these days......

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 6:22 pm

I thought banging on about someone's religion was illegal in America, or at least massively looked down upon?

Oh hang on Romney is a Republican and it's the Dems doing the slagging.

Business as usual then :roll:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 7:35 pm

Actually, conservatives and Evangelicals are pointing it out.

Anyone seen the musical The Book of Mormon? People say it's good.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 8:56 pm

Read the book Dummies guide to religion, very interesting. I had no idea how close all the Abrahamic religions are. I read it to make sure I knew the facts before giving all the happy clapper a run for their money. Turns out most "religious" people have not got a clue about their faith.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:07 pm

QRM wrote:Turns out most "religious" people have not got a clue about their faith.
Most don't, especially since a lot of people are just born into their religions.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 8:42 am

It's true the conservatives have been beating up Romney about his religion--and since Huntsman is so far gone from the front of the pack no one even remembers he's a Mormon too. :)

These are the early days of the race and the Republicans will beat each other up to see who can withstand the race against Obama. It's gonna be a fun few more weeks.

So, QRM, do you agree with my colleague that Christianity is closer to Islam than Mormonism?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 9:33 am

boffenl wrote:So, QRM, do you agree with my colleague that Christianity is closer to Islam than Mormonism?
Typical of religious discussion its such an open book and there are so many ways of interpreting it. The word "closer" is the problem.

I would say looking at just the time frames involved, Mormonism is a relatively new cult, Islam and Christianity has its SHARED roots thousand of years early, so on that fact alone people would argue Islam and Christianity are closely bonded.

How about this: Islam and Christianity are like old blood brothers and Mormonism is a much younger adopted child? ( I like that, very deep and philosophical especially for so early in the morning.)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:26 am

boffenl wrote: Christianity is closer to Islam than Mormonism?
Goes without saying, really . . . Islam accepts Christianity as a religion simply because they are so closely linked. Jesus is a prophet in the Qu-ran and they both have the same base.

Mormonism, on the other hand is a whole new page of crazy, though they do also believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost, though Jesus went to America after his resurrection . . . this is where the timelines get a bit blurry as well as the problem of an unemployed guy wearing a robe and sandals getting a green card . . . he should try getting in now!

LDS (Latter Day saints believe in multiple worlds and multiple Gods)

The guy who wrote the Boom of Mormon is a prophet and anything the prophet writes is official canon - quite handy!

The founder and author of Mormonism and the book of Mormon was a guy named Joseph Smith who said he was visited and by God and Jesus who showed him where there were gold plates with writings on them . . . he had to take them to a mountain and translate them . . (sounding familiar?) Oh, this takes place in New York.

Fairly harmless sect, really . . . but for a whole bucket of crazy you should read up on the Scientologists

'nuff said Image

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:35 am

Yeah, Vaucluse pretty much nailed it.

But yeah, scientologists just crank the crazy dial way past 11.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:45 am

Scientologists are the ones who believe in aliens, right? Arthur C Clarke?

Gold plates in NY eh? Handy! Smith was also the one who believed in multiple wives to pave your way to salvation, correct? I need to do some reading it seems.

Thanks all!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:54 am

boffenl wrote:Smith was also the one who believed in multiple wives to pave your way to salvation, correct? I need to do some reading it seems.

Thanks all!
Sounds like they took a page or two from the Koran as well.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:08 am

True--or they were just horny bastards.

I'm just pleased my colleague actually tried to engage me in meaningful conversation--I was so surpirsed I blubbered so not sure if she'll ever make that mistake again. Too damned long in SG to expect true conversation with colleagues--sheesh.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:14 am

boffenl wrote:Scientologists are the ones who believe in aliens, right? Arthur C Clarke?

Gold plates in NY eh? Handy! Smith was also the one who believed in multiple wives to pave your way to salvation, correct? I need to do some reading it seems.

Thanks all!
Actually, that scifi writer hack, L. Ron Hubbard. "Battlefield: Earth" is based on his novel. It starred John Travolta, a known scientologist. As you may already know, it's one of the worst movies ever made (based one of the probably worst scifi novels ever written).

Look these up: Lord Xenu, thetans. For scientologists, it's forbidden to know about the their dogma not until you join them, which entails paying a huge amount of money.

But then, somebody dared to spread it free-of-charge and is being/was harassed for doing so. It's how I, and other people, including the creators of South Park, know about scientology dogma. South Park had episodes that discuss both belief systems (complete with tags that go "This is what <group> ACTUALLY believe.")

Boy, those golden plates look appealing now.