Singapore Expats

EP approved - Reentry question

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

EP approved - Reentry question

Post by wannamove » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 8:30 pm

I have my EP approved. I will be entering Singapore Oct 17th. After spending a few days in Singapore looking for places to stay (I will not start work), I plan to take a trip to India and then re-enter Singapore.

Is it doable? Without visiting the MoM for the EP? How easy is it to get appointments with the MoM?

Thank you

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: EP approved - Reentry question

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 9:41 pm

wannamove wrote:I have my EP approved. I will be entering Singapore Oct 17th. After spending a few days in Singapore looking for places to stay (I will not start work), I plan to take a trip to India and then re-enter Singapore.

Is it doable? Without visiting the MoM for the EP? How easy is it to get appointments with the MoM?

Thank you
If your company ISSUES your EP online, an EP issuance letter can be printed out, using which you can travel in and out of Singapore while you wait to apply and collect your EP card.

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 9:54 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
wannamove wrote:I have my EP approved. I will be entering Singapore Oct 17th. After spending a few days in Singapore looking for places to stay (I will not start work), I plan to take a trip to India and then re-enter Singapore.

Thank you
If your company ISSUES your EP online, an EP issuance letter can be printed out, using which you can travel in and out of Singapore while you wait to apply and collect your EP card.
Do you mean the In-Principle-Approval (IPA) letter in electronic format? HR informed me that they can send me a copy of the EP approval letter. So using that I can travel in and out before collecting EP?

Thank you

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:00 pm

wannamove wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Thank you
Do you mean the In-Principle-Approval (IPA) letter in electronic format? HR informed me that they can send me a copy of the EP approval letter. So using that I can travel in and out before collecting EP?

Thank you
Usually IPA has one single entry attached in it. After you reach Sg, your employer can ISSUE the EP online and after which you can collect your EO Card. When your employer ISSUES the EP online, the EP status changes from APPROVED to ISSUED. upon issuance by your employer you will get an issuance letter which you can use to enter and exit Singapore while you wait to apply and collect for your EP Card.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:23 pm

Print the first page of your IPA. Enter the country with that. When I arrived on my IPA, I left two days later for a weekend in Vietnam. When I was leaving they looked at me funny and asked about it, but no problem. I think they were just more confused why I was leaving so soon. When I re-entered again I showed the IPA again.

Are you a citizen of a visa-waiver country? (Ie, the US?)

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:40 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Print the first page of your IPA. Enter the country with that. When I arrived on my IPA, I left two days later for a weekend in Vietnam. When I was leaving they looked at me funny and asked about it, but no problem. I think they were just more confused why I was leaving so soon. When I re-entered again I showed the IPA again.

Are you a citizen of a visa-waiver country? (Ie, the US?)
I have an Indian passport
Thank you

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:10 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Are you a citizen of a visa-waiver country? (Ie, the US?)
The OP is Indian, so he Is NOT under visa waiver system

He / she has to get a visa, from what I know, at the mission, unless his IPA comes with a single entry visa, of late (which I doubt it .. and note that SVP is from ICA, EP is from MOM, though their jobs overlap)

And without Visa, no airline will check him in, as Indians need visa in advance.

And after arrival, and collection of EP, the EP is the equivalent of Long term visa, so he can go out and come back, as many times as he/she wants as long as the EP is valid (which .. I think, was the original question to be answered .. )

Appointment with MOM ? You make it sound it is like an appointment with the PM.

Last I knew, you walk in, get a queue number, and get called very fast, to collect the EP and out you go .. (oh, ten years ago, a queue number after 10 AM meant, you get called by 3 or 4 PM, unlike now, i was told, it is pretty fast - less than an hour .. ) and getting the EP will not only simplify you exit and return, but many a HR will be happier as they have one less thing to worry about ...

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Are you a citizen of a visa-waiver country? (Ie, the US?)
The OP is Indian, so he Is NOT under visa waiver system

He / she has to get a visa, from what I know, at the mission, unless his IPA comes with a single entry visa, of late (which I doubt it .. and note that SVP is from ICA, EP is from MOM, though their jobs overlap)

And without Visa, no airline will check him in, as Indians need visa in advance.

And after arrival, and collection of EP, the EP is the equivalent of Long term visa, so he can go out and come back, as many times as he/she wants as long as the EP is valid (which .. I think, was the original question to be answered .. )

Appointment with MOM ? You make it sound it is like an appointment with the PM.

Last I knew, you walk in, get a queue number, and get called very fast, to collect the EP and out you go .. (oh, ten years ago, a queue number after 10 AM meant, you get called by 3 or 4 PM, unlike now, i was told, it is pretty fast - less than an hour .. ) and getting the EP will not only simplify you exit and return, but many a HR will be happier as they have one less thing to worry about ...
So the MOM work is quick? I just assumed the worst as someone told me we need to set up an appointment 2 weeks ahead of time. So it is walk in, wait and get out? That seems doable.

Thank you

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 1:24 am

wannamove wrote: So the MOM work is quick? I just assumed the worst as someone told me we need to set up an appointment 2 weeks ahead of time. So it is walk in, wait and get out? That seems doable.

Thank you
errr .. who is that someone ?? haha .. ask that someone if they are referring to the EP collection or something else, like PR application/LTVP application etc. etc.

From what I know, anybody who picked up EP of late swear it never took more than 2 hours .. and i am not sure if you busy schedule can allow 2 hours (as you seem extremely not interested to prioritise EP collection as the top most thing to do .. ) :D

Previously, it was, walk in, take queue number, wait for a few hours ..

Maybe SMS or somebody else here, can enlighten ....

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 3:51 am

ecureilx wrote:
wannamove wrote: So the MOM work is quick? I just assumed the worst as someone told me we need to set up an appointment 2 weeks ahead of time. So it is walk in, wait and get out? That seems doable.

Thank you
errr .. who is that someone ?? haha .. ask that someone if they are referring to the EP collection or something else, like PR application/LTVP application etc. etc.

From what I know, anybody who picked up EP of late swear it never took more than 2 hours .. and i am not sure if you busy schedule can allow 2 hours (as you seem extremely not interested to prioritise EP collection as the top most thing to do .. ) :D

Previously, it was, walk in, take queue number, wait for a few hours ..

Maybe SMS or somebody else here, can enlighten ....
Someone happens to be the HR who said they need to make an appointment with MoM atleast 2 weeks ahead.
Prioritizing EP - if it was not an extreme priority I won't be asking these questions to the experts out there right? As it is a priority, I am here - quite ahead of even landing in Singapore educating myself and making clear of the situation so that I can best handle it without typing my life history here.

I am still hoping to hear from someone who collected their EP recently on how long it took and if it is still the walk in, pick a number and wait.

Other questions - can I take my toddler along to MoM? Or is it only applicant and no one else should enter?

Help

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:48 am

wannamove wrote:Someone happens to be the HR who said they need to make an appointment with MoM atleast 2 weeks ahead.
Prioritizing EP - if it was not an extreme priority I won't be asking these questions to the experts out there right? As it is a priority, I am here - quite ahead of even landing in Singapore educating myself and making clear of the situation so that I can best handle it without typing my life history here.

I am still hoping to hear from someone who collected their EP recently on how long it took and if it is still the walk in, pick a number and wait.

Other questions - can I take my toddler along to MoM? Or is it only applicant and no one else should enter?

Help
I stand corrected, yah, as the new system does require an E-Appointment ...

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Maybe the previous system is out ..

You need to work with your HR then, though I don't know if there is exceptions to the case ..

PS: at my work place, with nearly 400 employees, there are just 2 on EP, and last renewal had been about two years ago, as per my HR colleague ..

She too was bit blur, till she forwarded the following .. as the reason for e-Appointment .. from MOM site:

After printing the notification letter, please make an e-appointment for the foreigner’s registration of his/her fingerprint and photo-image at Employment Pass Services Centre. The foreigner must bring along the notification letter and the documents stated in the letter when reporting to Employment Pass Services Centre for documents verification.

previously, there was no need for photos/finger printing of EP holders.. probably she was not the one who handled the last renewals ..

vnpan

Post by vnpan » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:20 am

Hi,

In order to collect EP, you need to come to Employment Pass Service Center (EPSC) 2 times.
Firstly, you book an e-appointment for doc check and finger print registration for your EP, it does not need to be 2 weeks in advance, as long as you have IPA letter, go to MOM website and book the appointment (depends on the available dates on their schedule). Then you print out the e-appointment confirmation and bring it along with your IPA letter to EPSC for doc check and finger-print registration (remember to bring all docs required in your IPA). If you come on the time of appointment, it takes you around 15-30mins.

After you finish 1st step, they give you a date to come second time to collect your EP card, this time you dont need to book any appointment, just come on the date and queue-up to collect your card (less than 15mins)

Hope it helps.
To Be or Not To Be

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:29 am

vnpan wrote:
After you finish 1st step, they give you a date to come second time to collect your EP card, this time you dont need to book any appointment, just come on the date and queue-up to collect your card (less than 15mins)

Hope it helps.
vnpan: that's mighty helpful

Cheers

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 6:31 pm

vnpan wrote:Hi,

In order to collect EP, you need to come to Employment Pass Service Center (EPSC) 2 times.
Firstly, you book an e-appointment for doc check and finger print registration for your EP, it does not need to be 2 weeks in advance, as long as you have IPA letter, go to MOM website and book the appointment (depends on the available dates on their schedule). Then you print out the e-appointment confirmation and bring it along with your IPA letter to EPSC for doc check and finger-print registration (remember to bring all docs required in your IPA). If you come on the time of appointment, it takes you around 15-30mins.

Hope it helps.
Thank you! That makes things much clear. Appreciate the help

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 7:31 am

When I collected my EP in August, and DPs in Sept, both times the appointments were filled 8-10 days out. When I showed up on my respective days though, I was in and out in 30 minutes.