Singapore Expats

Divorce in Spore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BackToDec

Divorce in Spore

Post by BackToDec » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 2:06 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this, but hope to get some advice here..

I'm Australian and married a Singaporean girl 4 years ago at Registry Of Marriage in Spore. We lived in Sydney for a while, then she found a new boyfriend and moved back to Singapore. It's been 6 months, and I want to file for divorce and move on with my life.

Can somebody advise if the divorce law in Spore favours women? Would I be worst off to file a divorce in Singapore? We are both in our 20's with no kids, and quite capable to pursue our own careers. So do I still have to pay alimony even if she has a job of her own?

How about assets? She has a property in Spore and I have a property in Sydney both acquired before the marriage. We have no common matrimonial home as we rented. Are the properties counted as common matrimonial assets for splitting?

Sorry to ask many questions. I'm new at this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 11:13 pm

You will probably have to have a legal separation order in place for about 2 years, before divorce proceedings can take place. It will go much smoother if you can both agree on a clean split with no assets. You will not have to support her! Though you need to get some free legal advice here, before anything else. The local community have legal aid meetings, check on the law society in Singapore for the list of meetings and areas or contact them by email for advice.

They will guide you in the process and give you an idea of costs!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 11:20 pm

I believe the legal separation is for 3 years. At least that's what my daughter said she had to wait..
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers