Singapore Expats

Need Help in finding a job!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
melodygal

Need Help in finding a job!

Post by melodygal » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 5:59 pm

Hi,

I am looking for entry level position to actuarial division in any Insurance Firm. However, apparently there is very low demand for entry level fresh grad :(
any advice?

thanks in advance...
Last edited by melodygal on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gocanucks

Post by gocanucks » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 11:47 pm

would definitely recommend contacting some headhunters as they generally are able to give you better access to entry-level positions. or at the very least, they can increased your chances of getting an interview.

melodygal

Post by melodygal » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 11:49 pm

able to recommend some headhunter? i am not sure whr to find :(

gocanucks

Post by gocanucks » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 12:32 am

typical ones are michael page, robert walters, randstad, adecco, kelly services, etc...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 9:18 am

I think most of the head hunters in Singapore are worthless, especially for entry level jobs. By law, employment fees must be paid by the employer.

You have a location of Singapore (BTW - I'd correct your spelling if I were you - can't happy sloppy actuaries, can we)?

Are you a Singaporean or PR?

gocanucks

Post by gocanucks » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:07 am

well, if you end up getting a reputable job, the headhunter would just be the inbetween between the company and you during the hiring process. afterwards, you would be paid directly the company anyways. at least at the reputable international headhunters i believe that is how it works, not the local employment agencies.

but anyhow, i'm very fresh here, but that was just my experience on how i got my first entry-level job in singapore, and even before my new job now, the headhunters were able to set me up with some major MNCs for some interviews. but i guess, this could be an isolated incident, since i don't have much experience.

but ultimately, in my opinion, as a entry-level job hunter, i think one should try every option available anyways, and not stick yourself to one method or another.

melodygal

Post by melodygal » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 3:38 pm

thanks for all the advices :)

but like what Strong Eagle said, apparently the headhunters or recruitment method are only effective for more experienced workers.

and what's more, I'm not a Singaporean or PR. I saw a lot of job postings which I can fit into often looking for Singaporean or SPR only.

cocobean

Post by cocobean » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 2:02 pm

Hi melodygal,

I'm having a same situation as you. Have you managed to find the job yet? I have tried to send my resume to HR department directly but no one reply to me!

Do you mind to share your experience with me?

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:22 pm

Don't underestimate head-hunters. Some are quite good even for entry level positions. But the position may be one with just a 1-2 years contract. Sometimes, the problem may be due to CV, exam scores, etc.

Not too sure about actuarial or Insurance firms though.

fxster

Re: Need Help in finding a job!

Post by fxster » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 9:39 am

melodygal wrote:Hi,

I am looking for entry level position to actuarial division in any Insurance Firm. However, apparently there is very low demand for entry level fresh grad :(
any advice?

thanks in advance...
Actuarial vacancy is very few in singapore. Most acturial are located at the head office, unless its a Singaporean insurance company (can't think of any). Maybe those insurance with a big base in Singapore such as AIG /Chartis, Prudential. Can try.
Even SGreans graduating from acturial have problem finding acturial jobs. A couple of them were in my company as trainee doing non-acturial jobs instead.
U can also check out GIA, but not sure whether it's for locals only

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:01 am

NTUC Income? General Eastern?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fxster

Post by fxster » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:35 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:NTUC Income? General Eastern?
yup, didn't thot of the.
They are local, and deals with life, heath,medca, etc, etc retail insurance.
They should have actuarist.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:40 pm

Great Eastern not General Eastern.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:09 am

I actually saw that earlier but was rushing out to go pick up my daughter at the airport and figured out that somebody would understand what I meant. Forgot about it until now when I saw your post. :oops: And I just finished paying a premium to them last week! :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

generalsu
Regular
Regular

Post by generalsu » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 5:39 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I think most of the head hunters in Singapore are worthless, especially for entry level jobs. By law, employment fees must be paid by the employer.

You have a location of Singapore (BTW - I'd correct your spelling if I were you - can't happy sloppy actuaries, can we)?

Are you a Singaporean or PR?
Not true, employment/recruitment fees can also be paid by the successful candidate/employee. Years ago, I used to work with a recruitment firm and they asked me to pay 20% of my salary within the first 3 months upon successful employment.