Singapore Expats

LPR, local schools and NS questions

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
GoldenTiger

LPR, local schools and NS questions

Post by GoldenTiger » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:43 pm

1. Found out here that LPR scheme is suspended in this forum. Anyone knows if this is temporary? SMC and ICA still list it on their websites. What are the reasons behind the suspension?

2. Is it common for students educated outside of the MOE system (such as international and foreign schools) to be successful in PSLE and get admitted to a good local secondary school? We're ethnic Chinese but am worried regarding the "mother tongue" requirement. It's the primary reason why in-principle PR is the ideal scheme for us as DP holders are left without any local school choices. My kids certainly have limited Mandarin skills due to less Chinese speaking opportunity compared to the average Singaporean.

3. If we find that SG is not for us after we get PR, is the procedure to not serve NS for ex-PRs the same as for ex-citizens (i.e., renounce before son is 11 years old)? I find it really odd that ex-PRs who do not have any links to SG for years will still be required to serve NS.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LPR, local schools and NS questions

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 9:00 am

GoldenTiger wrote:1. Found out here that LPR scheme is suspended in this forum. Anyone knows if this is temporary? SMC and ICA still list it on their websites. What are the reasons behind the suspension?

Probably for the near term for a while. Too many PR abusers so the government is cutting way back on the granting of PR to "collectors". Most tend to use "PR" as a stepping stone to other countries. PR actually stands for "Permanent Residence" and not "Part-Time Residence". It's about time they have closed up the free rides given to university students and IT people.

2. Is it common for students educated outside of the MOE system (such as international and foreign schools) to be successful in PSLE and get admitted to a good local secondary school? We're ethnic Chinese but am worried regarding the "mother tongue" requirement. It's the primary reason why in-principle PR is the ideal scheme for us as DP holders are left without any local school choices. My kids certainly have limited Mandarin skills due to less Chinese speaking opportunity compared to the average Singaporean.

3. If we find that SG is not for us after we get PR, is the procedure to not serve NS for ex-PRs the same as for ex-citizens (i.e., renounce before son is 11 years old)? I find it really odd that ex-PRs who do not have any links to SG for years will still be required to serve NS.

Procedure is the same. If you have doubts that SG is not for you, don't bother to take up PR. Leave it for somebody who is sure of what they want. You sound like a potential abuser to me. Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but your first statement in 3. is a clear sign that you have yet to make up your mind and are already trying to figure out how to avoid NS for you son. You are not a good candidate for this country and should probably finish your contract and go home.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

GoldenTiger

Post by GoldenTiger » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks, SMS.

Actually, am "home" outside of SG, that's why am asking regarding LPR. I do understand what you mean by permanent resident, but I think it's fair to know in advance what SG immigration entails. I am contemplating on starting a business in SG and my son is only 2 years old now. I think it is fair that if I lose my shirt in this process and we decide to leave SG after only a few years, that my son does not need to serve NS. If everything works out well, then I don't have a problem with my son serving NS.

GoldenTiger

Post by GoldenTiger » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:27 pm

BTW, is the 40-day ORNS requirement actively enforced? Does it mean one has to live in the barracks for certain number of days every year? How does one do ORNS so it won't disrupt family, education or employment?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 2:22 pm

GoldenTiger wrote:BTW, is the 40-day ORNS requirement actively enforced? Does it mean one has to live in the barracks for certain number of days every year? How does one do ORNS so it won't disrupt family, education or employment?

If you manage and I say again manage to get PR, you will need to register for NS but you will not need to serve. Your son will be. Yes 40 years old for NCOs and 50 years old for Officers.
13 years cycle. 7 high key , Six Low Key . maximum 40 days per year unless you skip reservist for many years then everything comes in one go but usually up to 3 weeks in one go but up to days max. It also depends what Pes you are in and which Battalion you attached to.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!