Singapore Expats

Chances of getting PR in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners

Post by revhappy » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 6:23 pm

renu_naidu wrote:Why should i do that, I got transferred from India to here, same co.

I guess its a very long term here, so thought of PR,
now if the chance of PR is less, I can get transfer to some other
country in Asia, but not much chance to get transfer to india..

Hope I clear your doubt..

Have a great evening, dont scratch your head now..

Regards,
Oh IC. So you are ok with getting transferred to some other country in Asia but you are not ok with going back to India and work for a different ocmpany. Hmmm Interesting. :roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 9:57 am

@revhappy, you seem a bit obsessed with sending ppl back to India. Why should she look for another employer back home if she seems ok with the current one and the possibility to be transfered somewhere else? Why you are not on the way back to India as for the sake of your own arguments (here and earlier)?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:47 am

x9200 wrote:@revhappy, you seem a bit obsessed with sending ppl back to India. Why should she look for another employer back home if she seems ok with the current one and the possibility to be transfered somewhere else? Why you are not on the way back to India as for the sake of your own arguments (here and earlier)?
Well, my point was with regards to the desperation that some people display for getting PR. Like the OP in this post has displayed. The only time I have asked anyone to consider to go back to India, is when they are doing miserably here in terms of salary or life.

I myself will go back the day I feel I am not making enough money here. At the moment though, I am pretty happy with what I am making. :wink:

One big big reason why I dont think I am here for the long run, is because there are so few companies here. I am doing extremely well right now, but today if I had to look for an another job with the same package, I would struggle, simply because there are very few banks here that hire on permanent roles and pay 90k+ for an analyst role. So as long as I am in this bank I am in Singapore. The day I decide to leave this job(or the job decides to leave me) I am outta here. Having PR or not having PR doesn't make much difference to me in terms of getting another job of the same kind.

So unless I decide to buy a HDB I am not applying PR(With the current resale prices of HDB and restriction, I doubt I am going to buy one anyway).

Cheers!

renu_naidu

PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners

Post by renu_naidu » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:55 am

Good Morning,

Well even I dont want to stay here for long run, I will return back to India.

Reason for applying for PR is
my co dont have to keep on renew my EP ,
and if I want to call my parents and bro here on holiday I can apply for visit visa online,
even after getting PR if your single here its not possible to buy a HDB, only I can buy a HUDC house, a
nd PR will force you to contribute your CFP for ur retirement so some saving here.

Else in singapore there is no much opportunity to do investment or saving, saving rate of interest is very low i think.

Good day,

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:59 am

renu_naidu wrote:Good Morning,

and if I want to call my parents and bro here on holiday I can apply for visit visa online,
even after getting PR if your single here its not possible to buy a HDB, only I can buy a HUDC house, a
nd PR will force you to contribute your CFP for ur retirement so some saving here.

Else in singapore there is no much opportunity to do investment or saving, saving rate of interest is very low i think.

Good day,
You might want to look up what PR actually stands for as it's not "Part Time Resident"

You have literally listed exactly why Indians have been labelled as the biggest PR abusers

renu_naidu

PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners

Post by renu_naidu » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:09 am

Hi Saint,

I know what PR stands for, but no one knows in future what is going to happen and what is waiting ahead for you.

If we apply for PR no lose for the country, our CPF is getting contrirbuted, we pay IT, like others, our funds are utlised by them for the country.

We plan and plan changes as the time changes, that doesnt mean
we should stop and wait on the same place.

Well I understand your concern too from country point of view, everyone have a different point of view and thinking..

Regards,

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:26 am

renu_naidu wrote:Good Morning,

Good day,
For the renewal of EP part - Take a PEP. PR is not needed if you are planning to go back one day.

SVP Application - Request your PR friends to do online

HDB - You need to think what do u want.

Savings - You can still do it yourself. Dont need to get a PR for that. still you can force yourself to save the same amount each month.

Just my advise is please dont take PR just for these reasons and later it affects people who really want to take PR to settle down here. Good luck !

vnpan

Post by vnpan » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:34 am

@SF: strongly like it!
To those who wanna take PR not for rooting here, please be more considerate not to spoil the market.
To Be or Not To Be

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

one up for OP

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:05 pm

one up for the OP, when I was swinging happily on EP - before the days of PEP- never mind, I wouldn't have qualified anyway .. .. having landed in Singapore, by accident, and getting on with what i was earning, with not much savings to go by, and didn't have any clue as to what the market was able to pay me for my talents ..

Then I switched jobs, to get a better / fair pay, and lo and behold, my employer went bankrupt, and was jobless, and the next employer literally took me for a ride (not gonna go into details .. here .. ) and not having bothered to have applied PR - no, before anybody comes screaming at me, it was not my intention, but got some wrong advice and was delaying the PR process and literally got caught at the wrong time ..... regrets, and more regrets ..

The 6 odd months when I was struggling between pass appeal, social visa extension, and rejection, followed by another appeal .. followed by another svp extension ..

And all my friends were asking what kind of moron I was, to have not have atleast applied for my PR, even when I had not charted my future life plans, of Singapore or not .. yah, I was not so focussed with my 10 year and 20 year plan charted ahead of me, at that time .. they were literally screaming at me for not getting PR, regardless I have a lifetime or stay here or not, and for those who suggest that to get PR you should have decided firmly, let me throw this question: just because I am firmly committed and willing to swear with blood, does it mean ICA will award me PR ? no, PR approval is a process, and your intention and dedicatoin doesn't translate to approval .. (unlike in some other countries where you write a passionate letter and swear you allegiance, you are given residency .. almost instantly... )

And a PR would have not only allowed me to scrape by, with a lesser salary, and yah, not that it would have been an abuse, but practically I was at the mercy of an employer who was playing with me, like a cat plays with a rat. And I have a lot of sour memories of the time ..

Oh, for those who haven't been in Singapore for long, those were the days, when you must cancel you EP, switch to SVP before submitting a new EP, and if you had an EP under appeal, you cannot submit another one, and .. upon rejection, there was a little note "if candidate is applying for another employer, please justify the reasons for the previous employer withdrawing his intention to appeal the procees" or something to that extent

All what I have written above would mean nothing to those earning 5 figure take home pay Per month, or are living in Company paid accomodation, with a fair share of every month salary saved / stashed away, or have spouse earning sufficiently enough to sit and be jobless for a few months ..

It did matter to me .. and meant a lot ..

And one man's meat is another man's poison ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:19 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: Savings - You can still do it yourself. Dont need to get a PR for that. still you can force yourself to save the same amount each month.
For non-PR's (and non-citizens), if you want the benefits of the CPF without being a PR, read up more on the Supplementary Retirement Scheme.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:30 pm

Life is never fair. The people who really want to settle down here are more often than not, the kind of people whom the gahmen wouldn't want(I know there are exceptions).

First of all who are the people who really want to settle? Can anybody be so sure that they would want to just leave their country and settle down here forever no matter what? For that you should be from Afghanistan or Ethiopia.

Its just like a applying for a job. There are limited numbers of jobs. The guys who really need the job are more often than not, not qualified for it. The ones that are really good and will get the job easily may just quit the job after 1 year. So would you call the really qualified guy who quit the job is one year as an abuser?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:56 pm

revhappy wrote: Its just like a applying for a job. There are limited numbers of jobs. The guys who really need the job are more often than not, not qualified for it. The ones that are really good and will get the job easily may just quit the job after 1 year. So would you call the really qualified guy who quit the job is one year as an abuser?
Not that it's at all relevent as we are discussing PR, but the topic of job hoppers has been discussed at length here with Companies, the MOM and forum members having particular views on this.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 1:26 pm

revhappy wrote:
x9200 wrote:@revhappy, you seem a bit obsessed with sending ppl back to India. Why should she look for another employer back home if she seems ok with the current one and the possibility to be transfered somewhere else? Why you are not on the way back to India as for the sake of your own arguments (here and earlier)?
Well, my point was with regards to the desperation that some people display for getting PR. Like the OP in this post has displayed. The only time I have asked anyone to consider to go back to India, is when they are doing miserably here in terms of salary or life.

And where is this miserable part in the life of the OP (leaving aside whether she is or she is not going to be abuser)?

I myself will go back the day I feel I am not making enough money here. At the moment though, I am pretty happy with what I am making. :wink:

One big big reason why I dont think I am here for the long run, is because there are so few companies here. I am doing extremely well right now, but today if I had to look for an another job with the same package, I would struggle, simply because there are very few banks here that hire on permanent roles and pay 90k+ for an analyst role. So as long as I am in this bank I am in Singapore. The day I decide to leave this job(or the job decides to leave me) I am outta here. Having PR or not having PR doesn't make much difference to me in terms of getting another job of the same kind.

So unless I decide to buy a HDB I am not applying PR(With the current resale prices of HDB and restriction, I doubt I am going to buy one anyway).

Cheers!
So if I understand correctly you are pretty much in the same shoes as the OP - happy to be here for the time being but happy to leave if some job/other conditions are not fulfilled. I don't see anything miserable in your life and any reason why you should go back to India and not to look for a job somewhere else.

vnpan

Post by vnpan » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 1:40 pm

revhappy wrote:Life is never fair. The people who really want to settle down here are more often than not, the kind of people whom the gahmen wouldn't want(I know there are exceptions).

First of all who are the people who really want to settle? Can anybody be so sure that they would want to just leave their country and settle down here forever no matter what? For that you should be from Afghanistan or Ethiopia.

Its just like a applying for a job. There are limited numbers of jobs. The guys who really need the job are more often than not, not qualified for it. The ones that are really good and will get the job easily may just quit the job after 1 year. So would you call the really qualified guy who quit the job is one year as an abuser?
It's all about intention and attitude. That's why number of people with high profiles have being rejected since the government may see and suspect their true intention.

Yes, it's similar to applying the job, it's like a hunt, but it doesn't mean those who really want the prey are weak.
To Be or Not To Be

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 1:47 pm

vnpan, very well put. And very true.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers