Singapore Expats

Scuba Diving

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:43 am

JR8 wrote:
temy.wijaya wrote:Have you been to Bunaken - Indonesia for diving?
I'm planning to go there next year.
Yes, just last month in fact. My advice, don't bother!

I'd say if you're an able diver and done the usual places then go to Sipidan. If you're at a point where wall-diving no longer raises your pulse then go to Lembeh Straits for the critter-diving. Both in their own way are absolutely world class and knock the spots off Bunaken.
Haven't been to Bunaken, but if you're looking to go to Lembeh just around the corner is Buyat (some of the Lembeh dive operators will organise stuff there as there is only a forestry station).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 4:27 pm

carteki wrote: Haven't been to Bunaken, but if you're looking to go to Lembeh just around the corner is Buyat (some of the Lembeh dive operators will organise stuff there as there is only a forestry station).
Where did you stay at Lembeh? The only thing I've heard of going on down there was that Rob, of Divers Lodge, built another dive resort there. If I got the story right he had to move it lock stock and barrel after a mining operation opened up nearby.

It's now on the island of Mollucca 'half way between Lembeh and Raja Ampat' http://www.wedaresort.com/

Given that Raja Ampat is currently being talked about as the final-frontier of quality diving ('now that Papua has been 'spoiled' with 240 liveaboards') and that Rob only opened at Halmahera this year I should think it would be pretty amazing. Especially if the facilities are as white-glove and seamless as at Lembeh...

p.s. I think he said there is no other dive operation within either 300km or 300 miles...

happyday0913

Post by happyday0913 » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 3:28 pm

Indonesia it is not a really good option for me.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:01 pm

Care to elaborate, or is that the extent of your contribution?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 5:02 pm

I think he's just stuck is toe in to test the waters......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 5:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think he's just stuck is toe in to test the waters......
Hence my encouragement to stick another more substantial one in.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 5:44 pm

JR8 wrote:Where did you stay at Lembeh? The only thing I've heard of going on down there was that Rob, of Divers Lodge, built another dive resort there. If I got the story right he had to move it lock stock and barrel after a mining operation opened up nearby.
Stayed at the Forestry Station in the accommodation there. Lembeh Divers have an arrangement and have a compressor and some other stuff there (no nitrox). Its fairly basic, but you don't really go there for the accommodation do you!

You can see my pics here
Last edited by carteki on Sun, 02 Oct 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 5:54 pm

Nice! I esp liked the Croc-fish sitting on the table coral :)

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Sat, 08 Oct 2011 7:52 pm

I just tried out my Open Waters last month at the north part of Tioman! The sea was really murky.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 12:16 am

youdunsay wrote:I just tried out my Open Waters last month at the north part of Tioman! The sea was really murky.
This is likely to be due to the fact that you were doing your dives off the beach as is standard practice.

The downside is that beach + waves + tide = poor visibility, where ever you are in the world.

The upside is that now you're qualified you'll be taken to better sites in future.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 2:52 am

JR8 wrote: The downside is that beach + waves + tide = poor visibility, where ever you are in the world.
Not in Bora, atleast on the 'opposite side of the island, from White Beach' and in PG :D :D

About 100 meter off the beech and it is crystal clear water .. :D :D

No plan to stir up my diving debate now .. :D :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 2:59 am

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote: The downside is that beach + waves + tide = poor visibility, where ever you are in the world.
Not in Bora, atleast on the 'opposite side of the island, from White Beach' and in PG :D :D

About 100 meter off the beech and it is crystal clear water .. :D :D

No plan to stir up my diving debate now .. :D :D
Where are these places you mention? :???:

100m off the beach there aren't any waves are there, or tides pulling up and down the foreshore. You do not do your Open Water certification dives '100m off the beach'.

p.s. Anyway you haven't done your scuba certification, so what would you know :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 3:11 am

JR8 wrote: Where are these places you mention? :???:

100m off the beach there aren't any waves are there, or tides pulling up and down the foreshore. You do not do your Open Water certification dives '100m off the beach'.

p.s. Anyway you haven't done your scuba certification, so what would you know :P
Philippines .. Boracay and Peurto Galera

yeah, I didn't go through the certification, but in the next banca, there were guys going through the instructions ... I assume they were going through certification .. anyway, I never had the proper commitment to get the course in order, so here I am still as uncertified, and probably, never to be certified :x :x

Nora05

Post by Nora05 » Sun, 23 Oct 2011 7:20 pm

Hey all

I am quite new to diving but do you still have plans for some diving trip, maybe at the end of the year? I need to have a new diving buddy as well :-)

See you Nora

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 12:30 am

News in today: The monsoon has arrived in Tioman. So that's it for diving until c. next Feb :cry:

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”