Singapore Expats

PEP or PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
adeal

PEP or PR

Post by adeal » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 3:25 pm

M/mid-thirties/ Indian

Questions:

If I re-apply for PR under the family link, I am liable for NS (as per ICA). Are there folks on this board who have had to serve 21 mths NS in their mid-thirties? That will definitely knock my career back

Since I have the option to apply for PEP and PR, what would the folks here suggest is a better course of action? If I apply for PEP, would it look like I am avoiding NS/ CPF funds and potentially derail subsequent PR application?

Thanks.
Last edited by adeal on Thu, 22 Sep 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 3:50 pm

Even if you apply for PR the chances are it will be rejected. Even if you volunteer to replace all the CPF withdrawn AND the interest that would have accrued had it be left in place, the odds are heavily weighted against you being successful. You've already played them for a fool once by giving you PR the first time only to have you give it up and withdraw your CPF and avoided NS. Now, you think they will be clamoring to allow you to do it to them again? By marrying a Singaporean, they will think it's just another ruse by you to abuse the system. And I rather think you may well be knocked by for the PEP as well for the same reasons. To top off everything else, you are not the ethnic variety of the month either since the GE. Better stick with your US job.

But then again, who knows, you might get lucky. [-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

adeal

Post by adeal » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks SMS- (breezed through the boards to know that acronym). As a clarification, I was not required to serve in NS in the past as the PR was under the PTS scheme, and we were not married at the time.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 4:19 pm

In my honest opinion with your past PR history any new application will most likely be rejected and rightly so. The Gahmen have very long memories and do not like the PR being abused. You were given a chance to become PR, you took it, abused it and used it for your own benefit.

There are many genuine PRs who get tarnished by the same brush by Singapore purely because of others abusing the PR system

aquariuswinnie

Post by aquariuswinnie » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 9:34 pm

Saint and SMS, well said indeed, well said. AMEN!!!!

Saint
Director
Director

Re: PEP or PR

Post by Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:00 am

adeal wrote:M/mid-thirties/ Indian

Questions:

If I re-apply for PR under the family link, I am liable for NS (as per ICA). Are there folks on this board who have had to serve 21 mths NS in their mid-thirties? That will definitely knock my career back

Since I have the option to apply for PEP and PR, what would the folks here suggest is a better course of action? If I apply for PEP, would it look like I am avoiding NS/ CPF funds and potentially derail subsequent PR application?

Thanks.
As you were previously a PR for 3 years and gave it up and withdrew all your CPF to study an MBA abroad you will have virtually no chance of getting PR approval even through your Singaporean wife. Not only do the Gahmen have long memories so do some forum members so don't think by editing your post and deleting all the details about previously being a PR you are going to get any different replies.

For those who missed the original full posting, here's a brief summary

The OP is an Indian male mid thirties
Lived and studied in Singapore between 2000 - 2005
Obtained PR under PTS scheme
Gave up PR after 3 years and withdrew all CPF to fund MBA in US
Married to Singaporean
Moved back to Singapore and has an EPEC/LTSVP

Did I miss any other details?

adeal

Post by adeal » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:45 pm

Saint - thanks for the response. Its clear from the advice from the board that it will be hard to get a PR. The reason to edit the original posting was to get feedback on whether folks had any experience with NS through a family link PR applicant experience, which is a moot point given that the PR may be hard to secure. The only thing missed from your list of points was that we are willing to place all the CPF back if the PR is approved. Again, moot point. You have been kind enough to share your opinion, and I accept that.