Singapore Expats

Dishwasher! The SG dilemma??

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 5:52 pm

What need soap for lah, no fat in black tea issit? :D

The tannin build-up you get after a few weeks is interesting though. When my wife refuses to handle my mug it's time to get a scouring pad out :)

p.s. My water mug (an American drivers coffee-mug!) is black too :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 8:56 pm

At home my mug non-washing liberty is unfortunately rather restricted but at work "use it until it starts to peel off" rules.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 9:31 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 9:36 pm

x9200 wrote:At home my mug non-washing liberty is unfortunately rather restricted but at work "use it until it starts to peel off" rules.
Nothing boiling, concentrated H2SO4 can't fix!

...unless the mug reacts.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:20 pm

nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:At home my mug non-washing liberty is unfortunately rather restricted but at work "use it until it starts to peel off" rules.
Nothing boiling, concentrated H2SO4 can't fix!

...unless the mug reacts.
I've used 80% H2SO4 to clean accumulated limescale out of toilet bowls (it comes as a drain cleaner called 'One-Shot'). You have to be really careful as it makes the water in the bowl boil :o But I tell you you've never seen a loo gleam like that afterwards!

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 2:06 am

I'm not very impressed by dishwashers. It takes as long to fill them up with dishes and put it all away again as it does to just do it by hand and it uses a lot more water and electricity.

We don't have hot water in the kitchen - one kettle of boiled water creates enough hot water to wash up and it's all done in about 10-15 minutes.

Don't have a maid (she'd probably wash them in bleach and cold water anyway :D ) and never feel the need for a dishwasher.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:03 am

+1 ^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:57 am

Next thing you'll be saying how you do your laundry by hand too :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 1:33 pm

It's funny in a way. Dad had a dishwasher in house (before his wife died and he sold it) and they almost never used it. (other than for dish storage). As he lived on the edge of town but was off of the water grid, he had a well so found that the water usage was around 4x as high when using it, so unless it was a big day like Thanksgiving or Xmas, he rarely ever used it.

No, I don't hand wash but my wife does (delicates only), as much as I tell her as it takes more water that way then by using the front loader we have (front loaders are the most economical way of washing clothes when it comes to water usage. Also, most here have temperature ranges as well, so it's not necessary to wash in 90 degree water unless you have 501 Levis XXX's and are trying to shrink 'em up to fit! Mine can wash in cold, 30, 40, 60 & 90 degree water depending on the programme.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 3:51 pm

The good thing about laundry is that you can just shove the stuff in the machine and it gets on with it and it's quicker and easier than doing it by hand. Dishwashers are a faff and it's not easier than doing it by hand :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 7:41 pm

The dishwashers I put in my London flats use 12 litres of water (http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/our-product ... ge~1170563)

My wife and I typically only run the DW once every 6-7 days. I've just bunged two pans full of water into our sink to estimate what the volume might be when half full, that was 2*6.5l = 13 litres. So the DW uses less than one half sink of water every time you wash-up by hand.

If you hand-washers say how often you wash-up we can have a look at estimating the comparative electricity usage :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 7:57 pm

Why would hand washer need to compute electricity usage? We don't use any! :wink:

Additionally, you would need to consider the "Pre-wash" water that is required for dishwashers before you put the dishes IN the dishwashers (could never understand that). Especially considering you don't wash for 6 or 7 days (euuuuch!).

Remember, most in Singapore don't use any hot water at all for the dishes.

You also need special detergents in dishwashers as well, so you need to that that cost differential as well (compared to 5 litres of normal liquid here that lasts for months on end and only costs 4.60SGD.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 9:49 pm

Ah. Strange as I distinctly remember when we previously had this ‘no HW’ discussion that you said you had some kind of worktop water heater in your kitchen, and that you used that for washing up. Maybe it has broken down since that discussion and you now only use cold water ;)

Pre-wash water, what’s that? I find licking your plate is far more eco-friendly and advocate more people doing the same. Remember people every lick contributes to saving the planet! :-D

More seriously, the only stuff we rinse heavy debris off is dinner plates, everything else goes in as/is. (Most pans are hand-washed). If you were an eco-nut you could do the job with a cloth that you rinse once at the end. But really you don't even have to do that, as DWs will get through just about anything but egg, and debris simply traps in the removable filter. I don’t understand what is ‘euuuuch’ about running the DW every 6-7 days? In SG it would get a bit fetid I expect. Presumably you have to wash up after every meal to prevent bug-attacks.

Hey if you want to include this ‘pre-washing’, then hand-washers have to consider that they use two sinks of water, wash, and rinse. Or, or, or... I hope you’re not rinsing under a running tap - people like that are so inconsiderate they should be locked up at Mother Earth’s pleasure! :)

DW tablets, we buy own brand ones in boxes of 60. I don’t recall exactly what they cost now... euro3-5, I remember being stunned at the price versus the big branded ones which are ridiculously expensive. Rinse-aid (the stuff that removes the streaks and drip marks you have all over your ‘clean’ dishes ;)), own brand again is about euro2-2.50 I think. One of each of those lasts us a year.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:18 pm

JR8 wrote:Ah. Strange as I distinctly remember when we previously had this ‘no HW’ discussion that you said you had some kind of worktop water heater in your kitchen, and that you used that for washing up. Maybe it has broken down since that discussion and you now only use cold water ;)
That was somebody else to which, I believe, you replied with something about circular immersion heaters. I've never used hot water here at all for washing dishes. It was somebody else that used a kettle of hot water, not me. And no, I don't wash OR rinse under a running tap (although I have a problem with some of the family members who think water is bloody free! My MiL in particular! :mad:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:27 pm

Perhaps it is free for her :twisted: :P :)