Singapore Expats

This is wrong on so many levels....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
MauMau

This is wrong on so many levels....

Post by MauMau » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 9:30 am

http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/featu ... lish_.html

Should this even be an issue at all?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 9:37 am

Only the fact that someone has to push it and that people are treating it as if the whole island is sinking into the sea.

As someone who's been told who speaks with an American accent and is used to American English, it doesn't bother me nor think anyone to be of different value if they speak with a different accent. It only bothers me if they use really region-specific words or terms (because I don't understand it) or their accent is really difficult to discern or is just plain grating to my ears. It also bothers me if they insist that the pidgin that they use is correct English but everybody else thinks it isn't.

Otherwise, pick a convention and leave someone alone if they use a different convention unless it's in formal communication.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:36 am

In as many cases it doesn't really become noticeable in conversations after a while but I think it was JR8 recently bringing up the issue of using 'kid' that for me doesn't matter.

The bigger issue in language, outside of conversation, is in the written word and spelling. Legalese will have more of an issue with 'colour' or 'color' than in how somebody says 'tomato'
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: This is wrong on so many levels....

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:33 pm

MauMau wrote:http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/featu ... lish_.html

Should this even be an issue at all?
Too much use of the letter z (zed :D )

Makes scrabble a lot easier though.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:47 pm

Fortunately, the letter zed doesn't appear at all in the US version of the game. Only the letter zee appears. :P zeebras are striped horses, zedbras I don't have a clue what they are. And what the heck is a zedro?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 1:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Fortunately, the letter zed doesn't appear at all in the US version of the game. Only the letter zee appears. :P zeebras are striped horses, zedbras I don't have a clue what they are. And what the heck is a zedro?
And what the heck is a zedro?
I striped Pedro perhaps :cool: I'm certainly a critic of the American language taking over anything British, pronunciation isn't really a problem but spelling is, it just doesn't look right and is quite alien. :lol: It wouldn't surprise me if the Americans don't have 51 ways of spelling :lol:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 2:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Fortunately, the letter zed doesn't appear at all in the US version of the game. Only the letter zee appears. :P zeebras are striped horses, zedbras I don't have a clue what they are. And what the heck is a zedro?

The ze in ZEbra is simply the zed without the d. :wink:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 2:53 pm

ksl wrote:
I striped Pedro perhaps :cool: I'm certainly a critic of the American language taking over anything British, pronunciation isn't really a problem but spelling is, it just doesn't look right and is quite alien. :lol: It wouldn't surprise me if the Americans don't have 51 ways of spelling :lol:
Like the UK doesn't have regional dialects and accents... :roll:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 3:30 pm

nakatago wrote:
ksl wrote:
Like the UK doesn't have regional dialects and accents... :roll:
Thaz reet am sayin' nowt
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 4:37 pm

Can somebody give me a word where the "z" has a "zed" sound? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 4:47 pm

Barnsley wrote: Thaz reet am sayin' nowt
Is Barnsley a suburb of Newcastle now? :wink:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 4:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can somebody give me a word where the "z" has a "zed" sound? :???:

Yes...
Zed :)
Zebra
Zen
Zenith (don't tell me Yanks pronounce these Zeen and Zeenith!)

p.s. Scrabble tip, QI is an allowable word.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 4:54 pm

Zed??? :)
Zeppelin

(oppps Jr8 beat me to it.)
Just me

DazzleBabe

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 5:01 pm

So, to Singaporeans, is it aluminum or aluminium?

:P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 5:09 pm

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can somebody give me a word where the "z" has a "zed" sound? :???:

Yes...
Zed :)
Zebra
Zen
Zenith (don't tell me Yanks pronounce these Zeen and Zeenith

p.s. Scrabble tip, QI is an allowable word.
We do pronounce Zebra, Zenith with a zee. Zed? It's not a real word. :lol:

Thank goodness for Noah Webster cleaning up the fouled up British language. Remember, when in new york, lighting up a fag means putting a smile on his face! :lol: