Singapore Expats

British citizen relocating. What rules for Thai spouse?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Robin65

British citizen relocating. What rules for Thai spouse?

Post by Robin65 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:56 am

Hi all,
I'm a Brit and hoping to be offered a position in Singapore soon, an indefinite relocation for an engineering role but I don't yet know what W.P. or visa I will be offered or may need.
My wife is originally Thai, we've been married over 5 years and we have two kids. She now has British citizenship along with a British passport.
I'm wondering, what, if any limitations would there be for her as a dependent compared to a British born partner? Also would she be able to work?
Perhaps this is too vague a question and I need to come back once my own W.P./visa situation is known?
Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 7:06 am

If she holds a UK passport she's British as far as Singapore is concerned. Provided, of course, you list her a british on the Dependent's Pass. But as long as you two are married it's really of no consequence. No worries.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chandra19998

Post by chandra19998 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 1:35 pm

This is no concern, she is Brit no matter where she was born or what her skin color is!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:07 pm

No quite true.

She hold UK citizenship. She's definitely not British! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:36 pm

Your wife is eligible to seek work under the dependant pass, there are a few Thailand businesses set up here in the F&B and her language skill maybe useful. Though some positions of employment are restricted to locals only check the list at the ministry of manpower(MOM)