Singapore Expats

Breyers Ice Cream in Singapore!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Breyers Ice Cream in Singapore!

Post by Brah » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 9:24 pm

...if you don't know it, you don't know what you're missing.....

Forget Haagen Daz (tastes awful and made in New Jersey, BTW) , Ben & Jerrys' (not bad but not as good), Mövenpick (was dissapointed with their ice cream despite their image) - Breyer's is quality stuff without the faux "luxury brand" hype.

Some of the Kiwi ice cream sold here is not bad, but Breyer's is the best damn ice cream I've had.

Best comparison - vanilla vs. vanilla.

Damn good yogurt too. Except the crap Breyers sells here, not the same quality that they sell in the States.

No, I don't work for them. But I hope they do well here. (In Japan there was a brand named "Dreyers" = pure dreck).

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 8:38 am

in the space of half a day 34 people have learned something new and good

Views 34

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 9:09 am

will try it out..... Cold Storage?

My current i/c indulgence is the $1 cup ice cream sold by the man on the motorbike. You can see them along Orchard and in front of change alley in Raffles Place. Cheap and good (in my books)
Just me

DazzleBabe

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 9:46 am

dazzlebabe wrote:will try it out..... Cold Storage?

My current i/c indulgence is the $1 cup ice cream sold by the man on the motorbike. You can see them along Orchard and in front of change alley in Raffles Place. Cheap and good (in my books)
Magnolia bikes have the more "deluxe" flavors. Walnut brownie, macadamia, etc vs Wall's chocolate, durian and other 'plain' flavors.

Local ice cream brands are very much "bleh" and the imported brands can be too expensive. :(

I want my quezo real!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:22 am

I'm holding out for Blue Bell.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:00 am

nakatago wrote: Magnolia bikes have the more "deluxe" flavors. Walnut brownie, macadamia, etc
Not seen this. Thought they were all the same! Will keep a lookout next time
Just me

DazzleBabe

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:18 am

dazzlebabe wrote:
nakatago wrote: Magnolia bikes have the more "deluxe" flavors. Walnut brownie, macadamia, etc
Not seen this. Thought they were all the same! Will keep a lookout next time
I think it's Magnolia. Or is it Nestle? It's the blue trikes (Wall's are red).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:18 am

Brah wrote:in the space of half a day 34 people have learned something new and good
Views 34
I don't know. All the brands you mentioned on the counterweight side don't come even close to the Andersen's. And yes, vanilla vs. vanilla is a good platform. I will look for Breyer's to initiate a proper flame war.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 1:59 pm

x9200 wrote:
Brah wrote:in the space of half a day 34 people have learned something new and good
Views 34
I don't know. All the brands you mentioned on the counterweight side don't come even close to the Andersen's. And yes, vanilla vs. vanilla is a good platform. I will look for Breyer's to initiate a proper flame war.
Andersen's is okay, Haggen is too expensive but taste is okay, Dryers is boring, walls not bad, magnolia cheap and nasty, kings the same, nestle not as good as walls premium. All have them have saturated fats which are not healthy.

I've been inclined to move to yogurt made ice cream, for less calories, the zingy taste is appealing, but they lack real flavour!

Breyer's will have to wait another 2 months,

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 7:50 pm

I agree with your list here on those I didn't mention. Magnolia, Walls, Kings - these are on a different quality level than the others. Don't think I've tried Nestles. I still say Haggen Daz tastes like chemicals and has weird thickeners.

Haven't had their ice cream but did have a rare milkshake from Andersen's, prefer the ones from Carl's Jr.

BTW I have not seen Breyers in the store yet, only at my condo's convini, he said he gets it from his supplier. Having said that, haven't been food shopping recently....

Interestingly, the same supplier provided him with Starbuck's Ice Cream, which I've never heard of.
ksl wrote:Andersen's is okay, Haggen is too expensive but taste is okay, Dryers is boring, walls not bad, magnolia cheap and nasty, kings the same, nestle not as good as walls premium. All have them have saturated fats which are not healthy.

I've been inclined to move to yogurt made ice cream, for less calories, the zingy taste is appealing, but they lack real flavour!

Breyer's will have to wait another 2 months,
There are of course some pretty good local ice cream shops who have some pretty creative flavors and make good ice cream. There's one on the ground floor of the Shaw Building on Beach Road. Other ones I've been to were not as good.

There's one in Holland Village, big US name, that was pretty disappointing.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:09 pm

I found Mars and Snickers ice cream pretty good too. Nestle is kind of weird. It has a potential of a very good stuff (right sweetness and texture but apparently is compromised - 1.5l is ~$S5 only - not much can be expected. The best ice cream I ever had I had in Rome. Lots of small and very good family gelaterias.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 9:50 am

Just another reason why B & J's will always be the best:

http://news.yahoo.com/ben-jerrys-reveal ... 50438.html

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:06 am

Good! As one of the few other people who would actually know Breyers was hoping you would chime in.

Yeah, saw this curiously-named new offering from Ben & Jerry's on Huffington, will be interesting to see how well it sells and for how long.

Would be interested to hear your B&J vanilla vs. Breyers vanilla preference.

I've had B&J vanilla, which is pretty good, almost as good as Breyers.

Having said that, I've painfully over-hyped Breyers now to the point that there's no way it can live up to it. After all, it doesn't parade itself as a luxury brand anyway.
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Just another reason why B & J's will always be the best:

http://news.yahoo.com/ben-jerrys-reveal ... 50438.html

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 9:29 am

Saw this on HuffPo today: "Häagen-Dazs is formed from two made-up words meant to look Scandinavian to American eyes"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 9:59 am

Intersting isn't it, how you have brands that trade on being small-time and 'real' but are just industrial in scale and as evil as the rest. Ben & Jerry's, Apple, Jack Daniels come to mind.

If you want decent ice cream you have to go to Cornwall, UK. Example:
http://roskillys.myshopify.com/products ... ice-cream/

or
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Se ... e/19213011

Maybe you can find the latter in SG as Cold Storage and Jason's stock some Waitrose products.

KSL. Yes, the vanilla test is how to do it. It gives the producer nothing to hide behind. If they can't do vanilla properly, well...

p.s. KSL, flavour is conveyed via fats. No fat = no flavour, simples :wink: