Singapore Expats

Marrying to foreigners in singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Goygfamily

Marrying to foreigners in singapore

Post by Goygfamily » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:24 am

Hi all im new to this forum and have a question to ask here

Im a singaporean born here and had served NS for 2 years , currently i have a thai girlfriend which we had knew for 2-3 years , i know her when my company send me to work there , and she's been singapore before , we had meet both our parents and discuss about marriege , i have no idea whats the proceedure are in sg in order to marry a foreign and i have heard that the gov here require a guy which earn more than $2500 and above in order to marry a foreign ? if this is the law here than certainly we can't get married as my salery is below $2500 , is this true ? Also if she had married me here were she be able to stay here with me and find a job to start a family here ? thank you guys for you time in reading cheers . if you have more of the imformation pls let me know too thanks ..

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 6:00 am

There is no law that forbids you marrying her with a salary is below S$2500.
But she will not get a visa for staying in Singapore (because you cannot sustain her on that low salary, or so the gahmen thinks).
If she ever had a Singapore Work Permit before, you need to get permission to marry her, otherwise she will never get a visa (no matter what your salary).
If your incomplete sentence means she was Singaporean before (and gave up her citizenship), she will also never again get a visa.
But if you move with her and live in Thailand or elsewhere, everything is o.k. in all these cases. This is allowed!

Goygfamily

Post by Goygfamily » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 8:57 am

Hi thanks for reply , she never been a work permit nor s pass , Sg citizen before , sorry cant get visa means she cannot stay here with me and have to go back frequently and come back ? Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 9:13 am

The government will wise up to that ploy in due course. When that happens, she will be flagged and banned from entering Singapore for 6 months OR LONGER. Be prepared to move to Thailand if you want to marry this girl.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Goygfamily

Post by Goygfamily » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 9:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The government will wise up to that ploy in due course. When that happens, she will be flagged and banned from entering Singapore for 6 months OR LONGER. Be prepared to move to Thailand if you want to marry this girl.
Why banned her from entering ? She never had any criminal offense or bad record before . That means I can't married her ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:47 am

The government gets suspicious when people from other countries keep coming into the country, max out their Visit Passes and then go across the boarder or otherwise out of the country for a day or so and then return to Singapore to repeat it over and over again. Something to do with "suspicions of working illegally" in Singapore I believe is the term that they use.

Nothing is stopping you from marrying her, but you life together will be a mess as it will most likely be a long distance relationship. Unless you can upgrade yourself to a position whereas you are making around $3K/month and can then sponsor her at least to get an LTVP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Goygfamily

Post by Goygfamily » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 1:12 pm

Ok thanks bro/sis here for the kindness who take your time to reply the useful information here , any other things should I also need to take note of ? Or anymore information to share here ? Thanks .

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 3:14 pm

Also: She will not be allowed to work (or study) on an LTVP (that is: if your salary is higher and you sponsor her visa to come and live here). If she wants that, she needs to get a different visa on her own merit.

Goygfamily

Post by Goygfamily » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 3:42 pm

beppi wrote:Also: She will not be allowed to work (or study) on an LTVP (that is: if your salary is higher and you sponsor her visa to come and live here). If she wants that, she needs to get a different visa on her own merit.
How much is the visa if i were to sponsor her ? Is it depand on my salery ? What if when we get married here and she wants to find a work here ?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 3:54 pm

The fee is small and does not depend on your income (see www.ica.gov.sg for details), but if your salary is too low they will just not give her the LTVP.
If she wants to work, she needs to find an employer who applies for a WP (no university degree, low pay) or EP (with degree, salary above S$3000/month) for her. Whether she gets it or not depends on herself and the employer, nothing to do with being married to you. And if she loses the job, she has to leave Singapore (since her stay is not connected to you).
The only other way is to get a PR for her (then she can work freely for any employer), but that is usually given only after a few years of living here (to rule out that it's a "marriage of convenience" just for the purpose of getting her a PR).

nismavrik

Re: Marrying to foreigners in singapore

Post by nismavrik » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:30 pm

Are you serious?? Invite us to the engagement ! Good luck !
Goygfamily wrote:Hi all im new to this forum and have a question to ask here

Im a singaporean born here and had served NS for 2 years , currently i have a thai girlfriend which we had knew for 2-3 years , i know her when my company send me to work there , and she's been singapore before , we had meet both our parents and discuss about marriege , i have no idea whats the proceedure are in sg in order to marry a foreign and i have heard that the gov here require a guy which earn more than $2500 and above in order to marry a foreign ? if this is the law here than certainly we can't get married as my salery is below $2500 , is this true ? Also if she had married me here were she be able to stay here with me and find a job to start a family here ? thank you guys for you time in reading cheers . if you have more of the imformation pls let me know too thanks ..

Goygfamily

Re: Marrying to foreigners in singapore

Post by Goygfamily » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 8:13 pm

Any problem with it ?
nismavrik wrote:Are you serious?? Invite us to the engagement ! Good luck !
Goygfamily wrote:Hi all im new to this forum and have a question to ask here

sh4rj5

Post by sh4rj5 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 2:11 am

i think its the same with my case....
i already talk to the ica about this....
what can i do to make my wife stay with me in singapore....
the officer at the visit pass 4th floor..said that i can apply LTVP for her after got the cert of marriage....i already asked the officer about min salary to become her sponsor...the officer said there no rules stating about the min salary if i wanted to become her sponsor....

forget to mention...im PR n my wife-to-be never worked in singapore before....

but anyway where do u get the info that u need at least 2,5k to marry a foreigner???

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 10:51 am

Then go ahead and apply....... :-|

And let us know if you were successful or not. We cannot read ICA's collective minds, so all we have to go on is anecdotal evidence from those who have gone before.....