Singapore Expats

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 20 May 2011 7:36 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote: Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I did wonder why you were being so unfriendly all of a sudden, after all the high fives :)

I agree with that, of course, I feel the same. Just, isn't it a bit weird that they both all of a sudden step down. I mean, er, this is not exactly a part of their long term succession planning etc is it, not how it is meant to be? Anyway... it will out in due course I expect.

JR8 , When push become shove, this is the end result.
No one doubts these two men contributions, but it is becoming a liability to let them stay.
Do you think MM would want to jump off his perch just because of this GE result alone ? The writings are already on the wall..... just to give face as this is a big thing here. His "favourite's son" Mah Bow Tan will be going down this same route. Just watch this space
For SM, well , to be blunt , he has no more bullet in his chamber

I posted the above a few days back

Now the truth has come out. MBT is chicken sh*t , he knows his time is up when MM steps down and he is not well like by LHL.. Only MM stands in the way..........

Quoted from the local papers
"It was the portfolio he was most widely known for and, ultimately, may have cost him political points with voters. National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan (picture), 62, acknowledged yesterday that housing prices went up sharply in the last two years, "coinciding with the dramatic turnaround in the economy".

"That resulted in a lot of unhappiness on the ground, and I accept responsibility for that," said Mr Mah. He was speaking to reporters last night on the sidelines of a Building and Construction Authority event.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced that Mr Mah was one of the ministers who were stepping down from Cabinet."
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 4:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:In fact, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in the PA with the childishness I'm starting to see displayed. Really bummed out after the meeting last night. :(
So sms, was the last few months a interesting time in PA @ Aljunied?

I thought you are going to give a update on the situation there.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 10:40 pm

No need. The local birdcage liner has had enough of an update for all. I'm blood fed up with the PA. But I equally fed up with the WP at the same time. The whole lot are worse than Dumbocrats and Repuglicans. Both spitting their dummies, and worse, the population too freaking stupid to see that the devil they knew was the lessor of two evils.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Manthink
Regular
Regular

Post by Manthink » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 2:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No need. The local birdcage liner has had enough of an update for all. I'm blood fed up with the PA. But I equally fed up with the WP at the same time. The whole lot are worse than Dumbocrats and Repuglicans. Both spitting their dummies, and worse, the population too freaking stupid to see that the devil they knew was the lessor of two evils.
This sought politicking had been going on for ages.
Getting pissed aside, on a positive note, I guess some has grown up a little more.

:wink:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 3:41 pm

I found this article interesting re: what is going on in Aljunied. It also makes some connections I had not thought of before, like that the SAF is one of the PAPs levers of power. So how does a declining birth rate impact that?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singapor ... 09012.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 4:44 pm

I'll have to interject a few salient points that have been glossed over in most, if not all, reports of the problems in Aljunied.

While the PA's patrons are/were mostly MP's, they don't politicize their functions in the PA. In fact, all wear street clothes when attending a PA function and politics are not touched on. Government policies, yes, party politics, no.

When the workers party initially tried to attend a PA function shortly after the GE, they were not allowed to join for two reasons. One, the functions are for the residents of that ward. (the WP MP were/are not the patrons nor were they residents of that ward). And probably most importantly, and that which apparently has be kept low profile for reasons I'm not aware of, the WP MP tried to attend these function wearing WP attire, thereby deliberately trying to politicize the function. This is when all the problems started.

In the three plus years I've been a member I've never seen PAP whites at a function by the PA/CC/RCs, at least in in our ward anyway. I cannot speak about other wards where I don't attend.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 7:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: In the three plus years I've been a member I've never seen PAP whites at a function by the PA/CC/RCs, at least in in our ward anyway. I cannot speak about other wards where I don't attend.
I have attended enough charity lunch/dinners, and with the PAP MPs in attendance, and yes, I have to echo your statement ..

None have even bothered to talk about politics, it was always "talk to us, we are here to help you .. " :D :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 7:10 pm

ecureilx wrote: I have attended enough charity lunch/dinners, and with the PAP MPs in attendance, and yes, I have to echo your statement ..

None have even bothered to talk about politics, it was always "talk to us, we are here to help you .. " :D :D
I know many people who are too afraid to talk to them.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 8:50 pm

I've never met one who was unapproachable. I first met George Yeo the year my son started kindergarten. Son is now 22. Course as a former member of our GRC I've met the whole GRC, the PM, and several others. Residents are not afraid to talk to them, you don't believe me, go to any of the meet the MP sessions held monthly in every ward in Singapore.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:06 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: I have attended enough charity lunch/dinners, and with the PAP MPs in attendance, and yes, I have to echo your statement ..

I know many people who are too afraid to talk to them.
Dude, this is Southeast Asia. 'Nuff said.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

approachable

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've never met one who was unapproachable. I first met George Yeo the year my son started kindergarten. Son is now 22. Course as a former member of our GRC I've met the whole GRC, the PM, and several others. Residents are not afraid to talk to them, you don't believe me, go to any of the meet the MP sessions held monthly in every ward in Singapore.
+1

... even PM Lee, with his BGs in tow, still is not kept away from anybody talking .. he is, as any of the PAP (except MM - whom I never met), are all amicable ..

Those who say that the MPs are not approachable, are those, who never took the trouble to say hello to the MP ..

And even when Minister Teo Chee Hean was around my neighborhood mall, when people wanted to shake hands and take photos, his bigger group of BGs didn't stop anybody ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: approachable

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 12:29 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've never met one who was unapproachable. I first met George Yeo the year my son started kindergarten. Son is now 22. Course as a former member of our GRC I've met the whole GRC, the PM, and several others. Residents are not afraid to talk to them, you don't believe me, go to any of the meet the MP sessions held monthly in every ward in Singapore.
+1

... even PM Lee, with his BGs in tow, still is not kept away from anybody talking .. he is, as any of the PAP (except MM - whom I never met), are all amicable ..

Those who say that the MPs are not approachable, are those, who never took the trouble to say hello to the MP ..

And even when Minister Teo Chee Hean was around my neighborhood mall, when people wanted to shake hands and take photos, his bigger group of BGs didn't stop anybody ..
Perhaps, if the conversation is limited to oh say ongoing problems with the rubbish shoot door.

I'm considering it in a wider context. You will be aware of the number of people who MM blasted into bankruptcy. Surely a lesson in not speaking out.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 6:50 am

Ohhhhh. You are not talking about a conversation then, are you. You are talking about a one-sided blast in some form of media or another where there is no immediate rebuttal. That doesn't constitute a conversation I don't think. :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 7:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ohhhhh. You are not talking about a conversation then, are you. You are talking about a one-sided blast in some form of media or another where there is no immediate rebuttal. That doesn't constitute a conversation I don't think. :wink:
you mean, like, the famous .. "Mr Goh, Where is the S$18 billion that you lent to xxxxxxx?" ?? :D :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 7:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ohhhhh. You are not talking about a conversation then, are you. You are talking about a one-sided blast in some form of media or another where there is no immediate rebuttal. That doesn't constitute a conversation I don't think. :wink:

Er, no I'm not.

I'm talking about people being afraid to discuss weighty issues, in public, never mind with their MPs who odds-on are from the PAP (a party not exactly known for taking perceived criticism lightly: Just ask JB Jeyaretnum or Dr. Chee).

As a random example: How many citizens do you think might lobby their MP for an public inquiry into the losses or succession planning at Temasek?

I know the answer, 'It's not the Asian way'. So, in that respect you're right, if all it's to down is rubbish-chutes and visa issues and the like then I'm sure MPs are only too happy to help.